Sign in to follow this  
Taleexi

18 May: A sad day in the History of Somalia

Taleexi   

By Ali H Abdulla

May 20, 2011

Thousands of people celebrate the 18th of May religiously every year, and consider it as a day of independence for a non-existent country that is inexplicably enamored with its colonial legacy. While proud and free people celebrate their hard fought freedom from the shackles of imperialism, some Somalis consider themselves as orphans of the British Crown and yearn for what they consider as the glorious days of Jardine, Smith and other colonial officers who massacred thousands of freedom fighters. Read in Full

The mentality of some people is such that they think they were the only people who died fighting the whiteman. This mental state is an illness especially as it's not true and incorrect. Sonalilands independence was gained through the hard work of all clans in the north, they used different means to achieve this goal but to try and monopolise by erasing the effort of the other tribes involved in this struggle is dishonest and incorrect.

You can repeat the nonsense above to those naive enough to believe it but don't expect anyone else to believe it as it will say more about you then the people you are trying to downgrade.

A_Khadar   

OdaySomali;721439 wrote:
Everyday, for the past twenty years, has been a sad day in the history of Somalia!

That is right, every day was sad, but celebrating and thousands to come out for May 18th and none for June 26th, that is so sad. That is what is wrong with this project. No celebration for the actual independent day from the British imperialism, June 26th

Someone emailed me other day saying "Today is our independent day so happy independent day."

I was like, today is what? Independent from who? Seems that some people prefer staying under colony than being free.

Saalax   

Both 26th June & 18th May are history of Somaliland. Somalia aka former Italian colony should stick with July 1 that is their history.

Saalax   

26th June is celebrated and a respected day in the calendar in Sland however not as much as May18th.

A_Khadar   

^ I am askning landesr, they celeberate May 18th, not June 26th ... That is may quesiton why not June 26th but May 18th? Or you don't know about June 26th?

A_Khadar   

Saalax;721548 wrote:
26th June is celebrated and a respected day in the calendar in Sland however not as much as May18th.

This very much tells a lot about you and your project...

Somalilanders celebrate 26 june that's a great day the day My Country was free From British imperialism and the bitter war and struggle we went trough to make Somaliland an independent state will always be remembered the thing is that Somaliland it's independence didn't last for long a long period after 5 days, it was wrongly united with the then Somalia UN trustship and the two new countries, decided to go by the name of the Somali republic. the two states that united in 1960 one was considered (Somaliland) to be just a one of the many provinces of the Regime in Mogadisho in 1961 the Somaliland struggle for independence started after a failed coup d'état attempt by Somaliland officers in Somaliland. The day 18 may day is the day the people of Somaliland decided that the statehood that was lost in 1960 shall be brought back to it's people and the failed union was dissolved it's actually the day we corrected the error of the past, that's why it's so important to me and 4 Million Somalilanders.

bilan   

If majority of the people in SL think like XX and Saalax I do not want to be united with them either.