Sign in to follow this  
The Zack

Somalilander or Not a Somalilander?

The Zack   

Lately, the threads about Somaliland seem to have taken over the entire SomaliaOnline forum, these threads include both positive (what some would call propaganda) and negative (what some would call hatred) posts. Now I started this thread to find what you, gentlemen and ladies, (Ciyaalka banaanka yara fadhiista) think about this:

Today, if a fair referendum (one man, one vote) was held in what our cousins in Hargeisa call Somaliland today (This is every town in what used to be called British Somaliland, Sool, Sanaag, Awdal included) , what do y'all think the result would be? Let's not show prejudice for or against this unfairly, let's base our responses on educated opinions.

Again, this would be held in Waqooyi Galbeed, Toghdeer, Sool, Sanaag, Awdal and every town in the ex-British Somaliland.

The question on the ballot would be something like this:

Do you agree that Somaliland should become sovereign? Yes or No.

The floor is open..

^^^ Sure let the referendum only take place in Somaliland. Somalia's opinion really holds no weight. You're from Canada right? Lets speak on the Quebec referendum, did the rest of the Canadian provinces take part?

The Zack   

No, other Canadian provinces didn't take part the Quebec referendum but I am not sure If did comprehend where you are going with this. What towns/gobols of what used to be "British Somaliland" are you trying to exclude here?

The Zack;720808 wrote:
No, other Canadian provinces didn't take part the Quebec referendum but I am not sure If did comprehend where you are going with that. What towns/gobols of what used to be "British Somaliland" are you trying to exclude here?

I thought you were implying the rest of the Somalis were included in the referendum. If only Somaliland does this, then is a landslide.

The Zack   

No, I wasn't sxb. Now we are on the same page, do you believe it would be a landslide for secession or a landslide for unity with the rest of the country?

Ibtisam   

The Zack, based on my observation yesterday in Somaliland; I think it would be a landslide for somaliland case. In fact after seeing people conduct and opinions yesterday I am inclined to say that people would prefer to be in limbo than re-join Somalia. I always thought people supported Somaliland because there was no viable option of Somalia, however since coming to Somaliland 2months ago I am of the opinion now that people here have progressed beyond the waiting game and have seriously put all their eggs in this basket.

In saying that, when I was in the west (UK) whenever I saw really militant Somalilanders such as Ngonge, I often assumed it was because they were far away from the situation and felt that the least they could do was really support it like crazy, but the people here have brought into the idea even more.

N.O.R.F   

lol@Nuune

Zack, it would be a landslide if recognition was guaranteed as a result. If things were more positive in South Somalia and there was a stable govnt in place then you might have a stalemate or even a no.

Somalia needs to attract SL. Piracy and Al Kebab isn't attractive.

Thierry.   

N.O.R.F

Zack, it would be a landslide if recognition was guaranteed as a result. If things were more positive in South Somalia and there was a stable govnt in place then you might have a stalemate or even a no.

And that folks is the cherry on the cake

N.O.R.F   

Heh.

What is the attraction of unity? Al Shabab? Shiekh Sharif? Piracy? Unionists can no longer talk about sticking together etc until a viable alternative to the above.

NGONGE   

N.O.R.F;720895 wrote:
lol@Nuune

Zack, it would be a landslide if recognition was guaranteed as a result.
If things were more positive in South Somalia and there was a stable govnt in place then you might have a stalemate or even a no.

Maybe ten or twenty years ago, saaxib. Today, and as long as there is progress and peace in SL, I doubt Somalia (stable or otherwise) will be that attractive. The goalposts have well and truly moved, saaxib.

p.s.

Che, we're all "pretty girls at the prom". You found your dance partner in Boston and I found mine in London. Somalia forgot how to dance, adeer. ;)