Sign in to follow this  
Blessed

Mothers We Could Save

Blessed   

Interesting read. Share your thoughts..

Here’s a Mother’s Day thought: There’s a way to save many of the world’s 350,000 women who die in childbirth each year. But it’s very controversial, for it’s called family planning.

Republicans in Congress have gone on the warpath this budget season against family planning programs at home and abroad. To illustrate the stakes, let me share a Mother’s Day story about a pregnant 30-year-old Somali woman named Hinda Hassan.

Ms. Hassan lived in a village near this remote town of Baligubadle in Somaliland (a self-ruling enclave carved from Somalia). She never used family planning, for none is available within several days’ walk. When her eighth child was still an infant, she became pregnant again.

Full article..

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/08/opinion/08kristof.html?ref=nicholasdkristof

Aaliyyah   

subhanalah I heard few such stories recently, but these type of stories were more in our grandparent's time. My grandmother's mom passed away in child birth as well and my granny was orphaned at the age of 6 or so. So my heart goes out to MS hassan's family and all those families out there who are having similar circumstances.Hoyadu wa laf dhabarka reerka and I can only imagine wat those 8 kids are going through. Alle ha u sahlo...and I agree these mothers need to learn family planning, I am not saying they shouldnt have 8 kids if they want to but at least they should spaced them out..as the article mentioned her 8th baby was still an infant. And, not to mention the lack of good healthcare..

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful article that sheds light on imprtant matter that many ppl seem to overlook with the excuse that having kids is a blessing ...and alhamdulilah im not denying it is a blessing but ppl have to realize the consequences of such careless planning..8 ciyaal ah oo bila hooyo ah..I am getting all teary just thinking abt hw their life will turn out..alle ha sahlo oo ha u calfo qof dumar oo wacan oo hoyadood u noqotay..inkasto hooyo cid badaleen hadana dadku way kala fiicanyihiin.

salaam

Showqi   

It's very sad story. Illahay ha u sakhiro reerkaas.

This is a problem that our Reer-Miyi community face every day. I think if we can't build health clinics in some area, we should at least have a nurse (Ummuliso) driving around in some remote area, to help our nomads.

Schools and helth clinics are very important and necessary for our nomadic community

Well, we are not factories. Delivering a baby every year for several consecutive years is going to have a huge detrimental impact on the health of the mother and her future. Under Islam, a child is supposed to be breastfed for two years (although I can't imagine how a toothy toddler can be breastfed!), hence giving the mother that time to recover and rejuvenate before embarking on another pregnancy.

Blessed   

Illahay ha u naxariisto hooyada dhimatay. It might seem like a simple suggestion but there is a great lack of knowledge with regards to infant / mothers health back home, esp. in baadiye where there are no medical facilities to speak off. They think having more children will counter infant mortality but it is actually one of the causes of it and then there's all the misinformation about Islam - many think that family planning is not allowed -- that having as many kids as possible is their way of contributing to the ummah (never minding if they turn out to be farakh laga acuudubilaysto).

I do laugh at the reasons mothers are encouraged to have another - heard an islaan tell a mother 'wiilkaan waa kibir batay, waa in aad ilmo ka daba keentid suu edeb u yeesho. Right!!

Juxa   

Allaha unaxariisto hinda

I have seen with my own indho 23 year old pregnant with 5th child during a visit to xamar years ago. when i told her to plan as her health was already failing, she replied unless i give birth every year he will marry another. he did marry several others but it was not because of lack of pregnancy (it is just how it is over there). she now has 8 living and several died in infancy or child birth (she says waa saqiireen)

the point i am trying to make it people need to stop interfering and putting pressure on married couples. it is not right being asked when you should or why you are not pregnant! that is very private and equals to asking a person whether they engage oh well.

As blessed said children need to be nurtured few years before the next one is planned, but that responsibility is not on the woman alone. Hebel should be sterilised if nothing else works

Alderman   

Juxa;730098 wrote:
Allaha unaxariisto hinda

I have seen with my own indho 23 year old pregnant with 5th child during a visit to xamar years ago. when i told her to plan as her health was already failing, she replied unless i give birth every year he will marry another. he did marry several others but it was not because of lack of pregnancy (it is just how it is over there). she now has 8 living and several died in infancy or child birth (she says waa saqiireen)

the point i am trying to make it people need to stop interfering and putting pressure on married couples. it is not right being asked when you should or why you are not pregnant! that is very private and equals to asking a person whether they engage oh well.

As blessed said children need to be nurtured few years before the next one is planned, but that responsibility is not on the woman alone. Hebel should be sterilised if nothing else works

And that ladies and gentleman, is why Somalia is an uncivilized fourth world country.

Alderman;738546 wrote:
And that ladies and gentleman, is why Somalia is an uncivilized fourth world country.

^ LoL...and are you the one who hands out the civility accolades? Give us a break! With the high infant mortality rate and the death rate from conflict, hunger and disease, THIS is how Somalis will survive as an ethnicity, despite the harsh reality they face. So, go peddle your shit elsewhere.

Nina Fox   

Women who believe the only way to keep a man is to pop rugrats like popcorn, making the house look like the opening nite of Les Misarables have another thing coming. My aunt died giving birth to her twins (#25 and #26). He marries every year and they leave him coz nobody wants to raise another woman's 26 kids.

My sister was turjubaaneyning for a couple @ the doctors. And the man asked her to tell the doctor "My wife gives birth every year, make her stop". If you dont want anymore kids,,,,,errrm here's an idea,,,,,get a vasectomy duuuh. Sawirsanaa waxu.

Its Ramadan, I prolly shud steeey weeey aweeey from this forum. :P

You know when you forget certain words,,,,,,Im still trying to remember yaab badanaa. And no-one wrote it down yet. I was going to say our people back home need to get educated on ------------->>>>???? starts with C. My brain threw conservation, constipation ahahahaha walaahi kaligeey isla yaaban subxanallah. I need another cup of coffeee

Gone to grab a flyer (cant even google it)

Feels silly and ashamed

*Leaves angry*

If an army of kids were encouraged in Islam - we would here of the prophets or the companions having 10+ kids. You hardly hear of that though. Kids are a headache as much as a blessing - have enough you can handle and properly raise. And making sure they have a roof over their head and food in their tummy is the least of it.