Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Somali Athletes

Chimera   

Abdi_Abdirahman.jpg

Abdi Abdirahman

Born in Somalia, Abdirahman (whose full first name is Abdihakim) moved with his family to Arizona when he was 13. He didn’t take up running until five years later, when he began classes at Pima Community College. As he explained to the Arizona Daily Wildcat, “I had this friend who told me that I look like a runner, so I went to practice with the team. The first time I ran with the team, I was in jeans and a T-shirt and I beat everybody.†During his career at Pima, Abdirahman was a two-time state junior college champion, and it wasn’t long before Wildcats head coach David Murray noticed Abdirahman’s skills and encouraged him to transfer to the University of Arizona.

Career Highlights: Two-time USA 10,000m Champion (‘01, ‘05); two-time USA 10,000m runner-up; 2005 USA 10-mile champion

Abdirahman’s 2005 season was highlighted by winning his second career U.S. men’s 10,000m title and qualifying for his second world outdoor championships team. His 10,000m career best time at Hengelo on May 29, 2005 was the fastest by an American that season. He also established a new marathon personal best (2:11:24) with his fifth-place finish at the 2005 ING New York City Marathon. He attended Jhameyasin Carte High School in Mogadishu, Somalia, before coming to the United States.

75096aacc6d54194508d3420bf410b5d.jpg

Mohamed Said

A basketball talent

In the All Star game, he had 18 points 8 rebound, 5 assists 3 steals to earn the all star M.V.P. award. He also won the African all-star 3 points contest. In May 2004, he took part in the African basketball championships game and was the second leading scorer on the team with 12 points, 9 rebound, 3 assists 2 steals.

It is worthwhile to note that Mohamed Said had started playing basketball very early and even in high school had impressive results leading his team in every category, points, assists, rebounds and steals.

Abdo_Salah.jpg

Salah Abdo

Salah who was born in Somali is a seventeen years old phenomena who currently plays for St. Marks Preparatory School outside of Boston, USA.

Salah took up the game of basketball six years ago and has ever since excelled in playing the game. In this short period of time Salah was invited to “Big Tim†tournament in Las Vegas for the last two years, three times to New Jersey’s Reebok invitation, AAU nationals in Florida and Washington DC summer invitation.

Only at seventeen years of age Salah is seen as a role model for the young Somalis in the greater Boston area. Salah is not only an exceptional basketball player but he is also a great student who believes that education is the key to success. When asked about obstacles that he had to over come in playing basketball he responds “people doubt me because of where I come from, but I let my actions speak for meâ€. Also about being consider the best Somali basketball player at his age Salah responds “I am just trying to put Somali on the map and it will happen soonâ€.

http://www.internationalbasketball.com/somalia.html

http://www.africabasket.com/som/som.asp

main.jpg

Hassan Jama a future mr Olympia

http://musclemania.com/athelete_page/hassan_jama2.htm personal page

2004 Musclemania World - Open Lightheavyweight, 1st

2003 Musclemania World - Junior, 1st

2003 Musclemania Canada - Open Middleweight, 4th

2003 Musclemania Canada - Junior, 2nd

2003 Musclemania Canada East - Junior, 2nd

Chimera   

sofara06.jpg

Mo Farah: the second fastest Briton ever at 5000m

The last time a Somali athlete made a big noise on the world athletics stage it was to signal the end of Britain's golden era in the middle-distances. With that in mind, there is a delicious irony in the prospect that, almost two decades on and with British athletics fast becoming the laughing-stock, another 'Somali' is on the threshold of sparking a British middle-distance revival.

Mo Farah was born in Mogadishu, came to Britain at the age of nine without a word of English, but now speaks with an accent that is very south London. In keeping with his new identity his running inspiration is also one of Britain's finest, Paula Radcliffe, though another name frequently crops up when he mixes with those who share the family ties. "If you ask anyone of Somali background they talk about Abdi Bile," Farah says. "I would like to meet him one day."

At Rome in 1987 it was Bile who took advantage of an off-colour Steve Cram to deprive the Briton of a second straight world 1500 m title. It was also the last time a British man went into a major championship over a distance longer than 800 metres as the favourite.

In Gothenburg, and with Britain's athletes facing their worst European Championships for 40 years, the men's 5000 metres offers a ray of hope. Farah is a changed character, poised to step out of the shadows of Britain's 21st century middle-distance mediocrity

http://www.hiiraan.com/news/2006/aug/African-influence-helps-farah-lead-middle-distance-revival.aspx

Chimera   

omar4_sw.jpg

Cumar Muuse

Taekwondo 2nd Dan black belt

Karate Shotokan- Do 1st Dan black belt

kyokushinkai karate 1st Dan black belt

3 time gold medal winner

will be fighting in the World Kyokushinkai Karate Championship in Japan

dream: putting somalia on the map in the martial arts world

Chimera   

600W2744_musse.jpg

Mustafa Muhammad, athlete

European Cup First League 1th

19th European Athletics Championships 4th

National Championships: 2003-2006 (1st, 3000m SC); 2004-2005 (1st, 5000m) National Indoor Championships: 2006 (1st, 3000m)

Chimera   

magan-2.jpgMagan-Tahir-1.jpg

Magan Tahir Table tennis champion for the Disabled

Gold Men's singles class 4-5

Gold Men's teams class 4-5

Bronze Men's open Wheelchair

he just won for the second time THE INTERNATIONAL MASTER ITALIAN OPEN

MIISKA_070906_2.jpg

MIISKA_070906_5.jpg

Bravo!

Chimera   

Said Ahmed

m800.jpg

Arkansas standout Said Ahmed won the Championship Mile in 4:01.44

Career Bests (Track): 800-meter run 1:47.80 NCAA Indoor Championships (3/9/02)

1,500-meter run 3:37.49 Prefontaine Classic (6/19/04)

Mile run 3:57.04 Iowa State Last Chance Meet (3/5/05)

3,000-meter run 8:23.02 SEC West Challenge (1/18/03)

PERSONAL: Born December 10, 1982, in Somalia, he is the son of Sadiyo Farah and Hassan Dahir. He has two brothers, Abdi and Mohammed, and four sisters Farhiyo, Iftin, Shamso and Dego. He chose to come to Arkansas “to be with the best.â€

raula   

War ileen bal Mr.Muscley man fiiriya. I wonder what is his diet regimen.

Nice. Indeed Arkansas is the best of the best in USA college track(or even oklahoma).

This Hassan Jama athlete, the puff guy, other than his name, how does one know for sure he is somali?? I'm not too convinced that he is somali, unless someone in this forum knows him personally. He doesn't even look like a somali.

PS:Kudos to those other athletes, its good to see some real professionals among our people...

Originally posted by LayZieGirl:

This Hassan Jama athlete, the puff guy, other than his name, how does one know for sure he is somali?? I'm not too convinced that he is somali, unless someone in this forum knows him personally. He doesn't even look like a somali.

PS:Kudos to those other athletes, its good to see some real professionals among our people...

What are u saying layziegirl, somalis can't have body like Hassan Jama. :(

Originally posted by LayZieGirl:

unless someone in this forum knows him personally. He doesn't even look like a somali.

We went High School together and still run into him every now and then. Of course, at the gym (that's all he does -- work out work out work out...). He's more Somali than you. Stop hating, it's not good for your heart.

What are u saying layziegirl, somalis can't have body like Hassan Jama.

No, I never said that somalis can't have the athlete's body, I said I am not too convinced that he is somali, because he doesn't have a somali feature, in other words, he could be from anywhere(btw, the athlete's BIO doesn't even mention his nationality), bottom line is, I wasn't too convinced that he was a somali, that particular picture of his that was posted wasn't too convincing the first time I saw it post here, and its still not convincing now that it has been re-posted...

He's more Somali than you. Stop hating, it's not good for your heart.

Okay, someone is off his medicine... You ran out of things to say, so you started to come to this part of the forum just to answer me back...

Explain to me how I am the hater, when all I said was he didn't look somali? How is that hating on this athelete?

Your disability is is spreading....and ""lol@I work out with him at the gym...""

Didn't your doctor tell you not to make up anymore "make believe friends" in your head?

PS:Jay, ask socod badne, he works out with them, he probably would know if they getting paid or not...

Baluug   

I always wondered why there weren't more long-distance runners from Somalia, like there were from surrounding countries like Kenya and Ethiopia and Eritrea? There was Abdi Bile, but that's all I have heard of when it came to Somali long-distance runners. Of course, I am talking about before 1991. There's something about war that changes people's priorities and you don't see too many athletes from war-torn countries.