Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Somalilanders: The 2011 Census

Ibtisam   

On 27th March 2011 all households in England and Wales will be asked to complete the 2011 Census forms. The Census results will be used by public bodies to plan their services to the public. It is important that the Census results reflect accurately the various communities that live in the British diverse society. That is why questions about national origin, ethnic origin, religion ect are included in the Census.

There is a campaign to make sure that you record and identify yourself as a Somalilander. The data generated from this census can be useful to us for the next 10years in terms statistical date and predictions for the future- particularly in areas of remittance, micro development, date on age, education and earnings of Somalilands and Diaspora lead development (or lack of them in the future).

There is a large community of Somalilanders in the UK and considering they make up to almost 60% of Somaliland's income it is vital and important for practical reason and for academic reasons that we know how many in numbers are here. The 2011 Census gives the Somalilanders an opportunity, please don't just tick the African box and leave it at that. I will post relevant information closer to the time. But for the time being for anyone interested West London Somaliland community is launching their campaign this weekend. Bringing together many organisations and other Somalilanders, including Boon Hirsi, Somaliland Ambassador to UK and representatives of the Somaliland political parties.

The campaign event will take place at: Uxbridge College (hayes Campus), College Way, Hayes, UB3 3BB and it will start at 5pm.

Give us feed back if you go.

nuune   

Ps: I don't think many Somalilanders will agree to identify themselves as being Somalilanders in the UK due to immigration purposes, as we all know, every asylum seeker wuxuu isku dhiibey inuu yahay reer koonfur, and from smaller clans that are prosecuted & tortured.

Ibti, what do you think of the point I raised, do you think it would be a concern for many, or it doesn't really matter to tick that box and say whatever you want!

Pss: Ibti wasiirka dumarka ayaa loo dooran rabaa mar dhawsmileys.gif

Ibtisam   

Lool You guys got jokes.

Nuune:

Some people may be paranoid, however the two are not connected and generally Somalilander population arrived pre-1996, only the ones after that aya wax kale ku soo galey. The information is not connected or used for that purpose and like any data when it is generated it will be in statistical format only and untraceable to specific families. I too would like to think that we are important enough that we are picked out and traceable via the consensus, laakin tiro coob ciid laguma eryado.

North I think you need to apply in advance as a runaway Brit :P will let you know.

Nuune, maxa ii caysa?

Ibtisam   

W/salam @ Polanyi,

I don't follow your school of thought, my dad will not cease to exist due to some other man's claim. ;) Nice little dig though, I see you have not grown up as yet. :)

Juxa   

Ibti, i too thought about home office seeing this as an opportunity and wanting to meet their quotas of those returned to peaceful lands. but i guess majority of landers would be already be british nationals, marka yaa wax dhihi kara right

Ibti - not if i have anything to do with it - as CCS interviewer and non compliance co-ordinator (after 27 march) i will strike off any form filled with Burco, Somaliland and replace with Qardho, Somalia :D:P

Ibtisam   

Dont make me put a formal complaint and make you lose your new job @ Sayid :P

I know your boss and he is a supporter of this idea- in fact he gave the facts and numbers needed to qualify :D

Juxa loool, no, no opportunity as such!!!

RaMpAgE   

Polanyi;691321 wrote:
ASWRB. Ibtisam, how r u doin walal, long time no see? Will you check Bengali on the census.kkkkkkkkk.

uffff, Bengali waay uraan. Can't stand those dirty...

*Ibtisam;691169 wrote:
Lool You guys got jokes.

Some people may be paranoid, however the two are not connected. The information is not connected or used for that purpose and like any data when it is generated it will be in statistical format only and untraceable to specific families. I too would like to think that we are important enough that we are picked out and traceable via the consensus, laakin tiro coob ciid laguma eryado.

Ibti :) Ma waxaad doonaysaa in shacabka masaakiinta citizenship lagala noqdo?

Any Lander who played the "maryooley" game won't be that naive to give the government a new information nullifying original claims.

Because of the recent amendment to the British Nationality Act, the British Government says "We may take away your British citizenship if we find that you obtained your registration or naturalisation by fraud, giving false information, or concealing facts that would have affected our decision. This is known as deprivation of citizenship." - Source

NGONGE   

^^ It will not matter for the vast majority of Slanders in the UK. Most of them came at a time when SL was still considered an 'unsafe' place.