Sign in to follow this  
Cara.

Somalis mark 20 years of war since government fell

Viva Somaliweyn...

We have all failed regardless of what clan, region or movement we supported. From NW to SW, from secular to religious, the Somali condition can not be ignored any longer..

Ibtisam   

The issues is not whether Somalia Weyne would've been better or would've achieved more and at what expense. :rolleyes:

We cannot live in buts and ifs all our life, we have to deal with the realities that face us.

I cannot take people who use somaliweyne as a reason to insult, degrade, bully and abuse others, somaliweyne ma jirto and it won't with the current environment and attitudes, deal with it. Maybe when you can learn to represent the true sprit of Somaliweyne then it will materialize, but with this level of xassidnimo and hypocrisy it will only get worse.

Not sure why someone is confusing their opinions with facts. Somwliweyn is not Siyad Barre, Riiyaale, Siilanyu or others recent masters of NW Somalia. It is the best political ideolagy that Somali's have. Its empowering the Somali people. So they can build a better future. With a united Somali populace we would at least be able to develop key infrastructure and our economy. We have seen how much development clans on their own have achived. Now after 20 years of failure and clan wars, lets give unity a chance.

Somwliweyn has not failed, indeed the clanisation of Somalia has made all into beggars, refugees and marginalized often hated ethnic minorities in the Diaspora.

Jacaylbaro;690991 wrote:
Who wants to unite with such people ................ the more i talk to them the more i go far from them.

wixi lixdanki wax ku darsaday ba ka darna , imisan laha war ka jooga war ka jooga, ummada isku qawmiyad ma nihin eh afka somaliga mooyane wax aynu wadaagno uun ba jira , xita afkaasa ayaa qulunqul ku jira. , laakin wa wada hanfada waal walaan oo hoos u fooraara, Somali ba aan ila maanta la garaneyn waxay yihin ba duufsaday , Ilaaa la yidhi Dalkina waxba laga ma dhisi karo wax aan hal dabaq ahayn. Marki danbe ka si daran oo ay yidhaheen waba shacab aad u edeb daran, wa in gabigooda ba la xasuuqa nafar ka hadhin. Somalia sidaasey ku jiraysa wa sidu caqligoodu siiyey Maskaxiyan dadka isku si uma fakirno , Maxammad xaji ibrahim cigaal ba beri Yidhi AUN slaanta yar eeh basasha suuqa bakaraha ku ibineysa ba caqligeeda ka dhadhicsay Somaliland hadyad ba la idin siiyey lixdanki, Laakin cuqubadi hore ugu dhacday Somaliland , ayaa maanta haysata , allow u danbi dhaaf

Somaliland ha noolato for ever Somaliland qoriga caaradisa baanu ku xoreyney , Dhiigayaga baanu Somaliland ku aasaasnay ilaahey idinkis , qorigaas aayaan ku ilaalinaya.

Chimera   

This article is just another form of psychological warfare, presenting Somalia as a country that will be in a perpetual state of conflict for eternity. Three quarters of the country has seen little to no war in the last 20 years. The place where the conflict is most intense is the capital and the area surrounding it. Remember that Somalis through their own effort had established peace as recent as 2006, if these foreign illegal interventions hadn't occured 100% of the country today would be stable.

If we did it in the recent past, we will do it in the future, I dare say in the next five years. I don't care if Somalia breaks apart in little pieces, if thats what it takes to rebuilt our destroyed Civilizational Matrix that allowed our ancestors to flourish throughout history then so be it, unity through tanks and fighterplanes is not unity.

A Somali Commonwealth will naturally take its place, Somalis are WAY to connected, way to similar, way to loving of eachother to have a relationship like Eritrea-Ethiopia, or S.Sudan - N.Sudan. You can see this in the ordinary Somalis having no problems assisting Somalis from other regions, you can see this in Somali companies uniting with companies from other regions, you can see this with the hundreds of thousands of Somali herders from across East Africa who have no problems visiting Berbera this year with their stock and Bosaso the next year. You can see this in the Somali diaspora where you will find individuals from all regions and walks of life interacting and co-operating with eachother because they are Somali.

They will be the source from where better leaders will come, who will usher in dialogue, reconciliation, equal opportunities, co-operation etc. Its through this approach that the "Somali condition" is cured and the masses are uplifted. Its through them that a stronger Somali state or union of states is realised with an intricate rail network linking all major Somali ports and cities, our waters secured, our skies secured, our people secured.

Let's be honest what's the point of Somalia if its going to be toppled a decade later? We already know from history that rich countries of the world will not save it the way they saved Kenya in 07'. Somalis have no friends, they never had friends, once they realise this, they will understand brotherly/sisterly co-operation is the way to go, and long term stability will derive from this.

Yes in terms of development we could be much further, we would probably be FAR ahead of the others in East Africa. I reckon we have lost around 20 billion dollars in investment from the Gulf and China. However we have not been sleeping around in this timeperiod.

- Somalia's life expectancy is higher than those of South Africa, Nigeria, Zimbabwe and Angola, all countries at peace.

- Somalia has more universities in the Top 100 of Africa than any country in the Horn

- The percentage of roads that Somalis have maintained and expanded is as high as those of Ethiopia and Kenya, and the Somali rate is much higher than that of Tanzania.

- Somalia with a population of 10 million has 48 hospitals today, compare this to Ethiopia having only 142 hospitals with a population of 80 million.

- Somalia is ahead of all countries in East Africa when it comes to Telecommunications.

- Somalis have and are building the largest marine and meat factories in East Africa.

- Somalia has a booming airline industry

- The number of primary schools have risen from 600 before the civil war to 1172 schools today, with an increase of 28% in primary school enrollment.

- A strong diaspora that pumps 2 billion dollars each year into the economy, and a network of transnational Somali owned companies.

You might wonder why am I listening these achievements if some sectors under a central government probably would be doing much better? May I remind you that these efforts are sustained by communities and the private sector. The greatest resources every succesful country has in the world are a strong private sector and close-knit communities that eventually become a "middle class". These are the ingredients of long term success, which is what we should be aiming for.

From that persepective we are way ahead of our neighbours, as they have a dependency culture, while most regions in Somalia are becoming self-sufficient, innovative and aren't waiting for someone else to build things for them. This is why I usually ignore these type of articles, they are ment to serve a larger psychological war waged against Somalia to deter investment, to deter a braingain, to create a culture of hopelessness and pessisimism.

I reject this, Somalia will be come out of this much stronger and robust, much better structured and designed, much better navigated and helmed.

ElPunto   

The is-qabsi is so telling. The only response here on the sad day is may God help this people and country to a better future.

Taleexi   

STOIC has a point where he states we should integrate into our host countries in the west instead of living in fantasy while suffering gracious delusional. On his monolithic support of SL is pure and simple. He is like any other Farah.....a tribalist, secessionist who is promoting dogmatic and clannish supremacy subtly but will such believes alleviate the ills of our people, of course, not! Miracles do happen but 20 years down on the road much will not change in Somalia. Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) is a method in statistics that one enhances whatever he/she is considering at the time. When this method is applied to our way of life no hope for Somalia for many more years to come.

Somalina   

General Duke;691143 wrote:
Not sure why someone is confusing their opinions with facts. Somwliweyn is not Siyad Barre, Riiyaale, Siilanyu or others recent masters of NW Somalia. It is the best political ideolagy that Somali's have. Its empowering the Somali people. So they can build a better future. With a united Somali populace we would at least be able to develop key infrastructure and our economy. We have seen how much development clans on their own have achived. Now after 20 years of failure and clan wars, lets give unity a chance.

Somwliweyn has not failed, indeed the clanisation of Somalia has made all into beggars, refugees and marginalized often hated ethnic minorities in the Diaspora.

Soomaliya Ha Noolato.

STOIC   

People have hoisted me as the poster boy of what’s wrong with Somalia in this thread.I think it is unfortunate and a bit unfair to take my words out of context in order to further once point of view. I was talking about my disillusionment with Somalia in my original post. It doesn’t take much insight into the political world of Somalia to predict the future of Somalia in the next twenty years.Clearly what some members have described here is the barest sample of what is wrong with Somalia-eyeing with suspicion the motives of people.I didn’t deny my lineage connection with Somalilanders, but that was beside the point of the original topic(an utmost insignificant to why Somalia failed)..I think I can say with certainty that I’m one of the few people in this forum today who doesn’t care who will be ruling Somalia the next twenty years. I have accepted my faith as a Nomad living in North America for the rest of his life. My advise was a goal for all Somalis to concentrate and live a meaningful and fulfilling lives wherever they currently reside( beyond the clannish talks)….The lofty rhetorics of clan will NOT contribute anything to our lives in the West.

Now onto the highly controversial topic of why I support Somaliland.One Nomad mentioned that I said awhile ago in another forum that I can never be elected in office where I was born because of my clan.This is true and it is the FACT of our Somali world. For those who don’t know me I’m a sijui.I have never set foot in Somalia.When the war broke out in Somalia I was ten years old.Today I’m a thirty years old grown men with the sanity to think for himself.There is clearly one person in this thread who knows me at a personal level and that is brother Farax Brown.We both grew up together in the same neighbourhood.Our families know each other pretty well at a personal level. Now I can attest to you (and he can testify for me) that my family though we go two generation back can never in a daylight be elected in an office there and it is because my clan can be counted with the five fingers in that city.Needless to say I don’t expect brother Farax Brown to have the same chance in Hargeysa.Just another striking illustration of how our Somali clan system loyalty works.I’m a Somali.I have a clan.Yes I believe it is fair to hail the triumph of Somaliland achievements (while risking being labeled as clanist). I have the responsibility to support Somaliland on its present course of attaining its goal despite the immense odd it faces because it is only what I know of Somalia.Now do I go around and fish for war of words in fadhikudiriir with the rest of Somalis? No I don’t neither do expect a sane Somali to be contributing any chaos to the Somalis. Hope I rested my case..Now please before you lash out at me as a symbol of what’s wrong with Somalia please do understand I have no interest in Somalia government.I could care less who the next president of Somalia will be..I felt like a benign victim defending his convictions about the future of Somalia.

BOB   

I am sorry we've come to this....Stoic POLE NDUGU....wachana na hawa walendo ni wagonjo.

Peace, Love & Unity.

nuune   

What a thread this is, I am with Stoic on this, let the man express his views & opinion on matters concerning Somali-Weyn, he can give support to whichever entity he wants, I will also blame brother Zack for bringing another matter from another thread from 2010 to this thread, I am also advising brother Stoic to cool down and not throw out all of that energy just to explain himself and his stance on issues concerning Somalia.