Sign in to follow this  
cynical lady

Troll, Shaah, Cakes and Sheeko

N.O.R.F   

NGONGE;898928 wrote:
^^ People in different time zones don't count, saaxib.
:D

Haye, ka waran the new place? Culture shock or easy going?

Its a bit of both really. Work is good and plenty to do. As for Jeddah, it growing on me. Discovering something new everyday. Af carabigii uun baa igu yara adag :D

ps Dubai is only 3 hours away for the odd weekend :D

Ibtisam   

Loool. All these years and arabic is still hard for you!!!! Though in Dubai you probably learnt hindi like Faheema! :P

HEy Ngonge.

Adam. lol why do you say that?

NGONGE   

^^ How about you, af reer Hargeisa ma bartay? :P

Norf, now that you have time in the next few weeks/months, why don't you start learning Arabic, saaxib? I bet you can master the language within six months.

Juxa   

Salaams everyone and jumce wanaagsan

qabowgi waxa badalay roob, thanks allah i dont need to venture out until 8 tonight....bariiskeyga gurigan kasoo qatay

N.O.R.F   

Ngonge, I'm looking to start soon iA. But I'm afraid of acting like some of them if I do learn it.

Ibti, in Dubay you will be lucky to hear Arabic being spoken (at least out of Deira).

Juxa, heard of an umbrella? :P

Chimera   

*Ibtisam;898939 wrote:

Adam. lol why do you say that?

The Mayans, freaky extinct civilization.

How are you dear Ibti?

lol Norf; you just need survival structure and words (much of it already familliar) since those phrases or 400-800 words account for almost all you'd hear.

Try madeenah serie/mastering series by palgrave, you already read the script, pronounce well etc so the rest shoud be flowing.

The madeenah series book is ok for beginner, one of the bros at the mosque will be glad to assist you (book1 plus the mastering book2 is a good mix), it's just that words in mastering 1 are more for say diplomats (btw, the lahja in SA is closest to standard arabic or Quranic one, which is great).

There is arabi beyna yadeek serie but I guess you are after basic speaking and understanding and can wait for more grammar or less recurrent vocabular (once at intermediate stage after few weeks, the rest is largely self-study and according to your reasons for learning, either religious or others).

Of course, never be shy to speak, and think in your new langage, start by enumerating your actions and stuff or kitchen wares in the morning: "sa'ashrab finjaan qaxwa macal khubs" "al zubda filthalaaja" "maada yuriid Ngonge tilka saaca, al kalaam cindahu maayakmalshi" to mix the lahjas :D :D

Ps hope you found your way to the red sea for swims

N.O.R.F   

Thanks ABu i think I will start with the food as its a must when eating this great food. How is the kimis and fish in N London? :D

Just had a very funny conversation in a taxi with a Somali taxi driver (who I thought was Saudi at first :D)

Come to think about it, it's all free; some even got into Islamic univ as adults with scholarships and housing for their families or get some wealthy sheikh to sponsor them. You'd make such a charming and riveting Islamic talkers for all those foot fans or ladies :D

Anyway, glad you are having fun, I'm torn between escaping the gloom, dental treatment that requires presence every trimester (had to drown the shock with latte and pastrie when this orthodentist just offered a quote; the french one looks like a bargain); may try Turkey while managing some other issues; dilemmas never end you see but one can look at the positives.

I'm sure you noticed food vocabulary seems very familiar: khubs maca samak etc :D;

Though I need lots of revision and practice myself it's always a pleasure to help if you want or got skype etc.

Try evening Islamic classes sxb, the town got at least one good place for that.

N.O.R.F   

Thanks Abu. Thats a big responsibility. Bal let me learn the language which will be easy once I'm motivated enough. Its the motivation thats the problem especially when i know enough to get by.

Wyre, come to Hamra this week. There is a nice lubnaani place here. Great food.