Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Now what ?

N.O.R.F   

Somaliland this and Somaliland that!

Give us just one GOOD reason to even consider re-uniting at this moment in time, and remember that not one person has even ruled out the fact that re-unification can be possible in future.

Those who cry unity all the time are mainly those who want unity now, and we all know tht cant happen at this moment in time.

So instead of crying unity, unity and more unity, why not talk of how this can be achieved, a proper discussion on how u southerners propose to re-unite not just plain old goboldi-guuk as u r all saying at the mo!

Lets hear some reality speaking and not dreaming that all of a sudden re-unification will happen with a click of yr fingers, cos we all know that is far from the situation we are in at the moment!

Gediid   

Nin Tiisa Daryeela Ayaa Tu Kale Ku Dara

How many more times do yall need to hear that before it sinks in.Anigu waan xishoon lahaaba haddi leygu celcelin lahaa intaas.

Gabbal   

Salaamz

Suburban Nomad I think Qaryaqaan is the most intelligent of us and you might need to read and understand more about what he writes.

By trying to brush aside the massacre that happened in Bari, Gediid you stated a racist and prejudiced comment about the ppl killed in Hargeisa being more than the whole population of Bari and Mudug as if to say that a life in Hargeisa is more valuable than a life in Bari. Isn't all human life sacred? Think about what you write next time bro.

Che-Guevara I agree Morgan, Gaani, all the G8 warlords should be put to trial, just like I agree that Daahir Riyaale Kaahin should also be put to trial for the massacres he helped commit as Siad Barre's head of secret police, Barbera division. Dahiir Riyaale is also the current "president" of the very place those massacres took place and he got there by vote! Talk about a twist of irony.

U-N-I-T-Y

Alla-Mahadle

Gediid   

Hadal si loo yidhi sina loo fahan

I condemn killings of any civilian whether its in the hands of Siad Barre or otherwise.I think its a cowardly act and who so ever has perpetrated those crimes should be punished for those crimes.Having made that clear,Somaliland seceded for a whole host of reasons but most of you seem to concentrate on one aspect of that.I don't know if any of you have heard of the coup of 1961 barely a year after the union when a group of Sandhurst educated officers led by Hassan Keyd tried to overthrow the government and their intentions was to reclaim the independence of Somaliland.They were tried and later released I don't know when but that was the beginning of our aspirations to regain what we cheaply lost in 1960.The war of 1988 literally sealed that fate.

Now you all must ask yourself meel aan ku rabaan miyaad isku qasbi kartaa and the answer is NO.Markaas I strongly suggest that you all should move forward.The very first place that the blue star flag flew over was Beerta Xorriyada, in Hargeysa and all the songs of jubilation were sang there and then but we have decided to disown what ever it stands for,instead we came up a new flag that truly symbolises the struggle we went through and the prosperity we intend to accomplish.Where the blue first flew, in its place we have one that stands for the ideals we believe.

Gediid, go ahead, go , but where do we draw the borders? Please answer this question.

most of sool, sanaag and buuhoodle district arenot in it, so your claim for somaliland is indispute. i suggest that you properly name it after your qabiilLand. the union of the north was consumated by two different parties, one representing your own tribe, the other representing the dervishes and the awdalians, so don't make it that your people did everything.

as for the border of your tribe with the people that ethnically are puntlanders, please explain where would we draw.

also since what the british called somaliland disputed, rightly so, then explain what makes it legal infront of the international community for you to unilateraly declare the shared land's succession, without the will and the desire of the other tribes.

iga shaagi arintan, and please don't jump hoops.

No one is trying to make you stay wallaahi, just do it legally, while not claiming to represent other peoples by coercion and bribery of few traitors.

let see then

Rokko   

I am feeling this debate lately cuz it is calm and people are asking legit questions based on their feelings namean?. No attacks namean?. Gediid and hassan are doing a cool job. much respect!

Now, back to the topic

Gediid,

If some tribes in Somaliland don't want to be part of the separation, WHAT DO YOU DO?

Now, if my brother GEDIID doesn't believe in those areas choosing to stay part of Somalia before succession can take place, then he is not practicing what he is preaching... feel me?

Any Somalilander who is against other tribes choosing their destiny is concerned mainly with his clan dominating others. Let us be honest. It will not work

This is the same thing the north hated about Siyaad Barre namean?. Simple.

one luv

Gediid.....anytime man...iam just giving a folks of dose of reality. Yu Haven't answered my question though?.....lol

HornAfrica......it is upto Sland who they wanna chose as their leader....My whole point somali proper needs to fix its own house before moving on to other things regarding the other somalis.

BN   

HornAfrique

They just dont want to hear the truth or facts. Let them live in their Dreamland. :D

When 'somaliland' starts puting people like Riyaale Kaahin in jail instead of electing them 'president'. Then We'll know they are serious about Justice and Human rights and not just playing lip-service for recognition. :mad:

Gediid,

"The war of 1988 literally sealed that fate."

The War against the Somali people by Barre started long before 1988, and the bombing of Hargeisa. I guess people outside Waqooyi Galbeed dont count.... :(

Do you actually expect to get International recognition? The US fought a bloody civil war against secessionist. Britain is still holding on to N.Ireland/Gibralter/Falklan Islands/etc. Russia and Chechnya, China and Taiwan(still not recognized after 50 years!), India/PK and Kashmir, SriLanka and Tamil Tigers. I could go on and on forever. :cool:

If they recognized every tribe/chiefdom that wanted independence this would set a dangerous precedent for themselves(International community) and create hundreds of Welfare states.

:(

Eritrea got independence because Ethiopia ALLOWED it. That's how it works. The central government has to approve it. ;)

SamiGirl/Northener-You guys sound like Bush, just repeating the same old nonsensical Mantra. :D

P.S. Ironically, As for most of Sool/Sanaag/ buuhoodle district, 'Somaliland' says THEy can't have self-determination because it would 'violate the territorial integrity' of their state....What Hypocrisy :mad:

India   

Well well well!

Although I am up for freedom of expression, its another when people display anomsity publically.

Lets all be clear on thing here: SOMALILAND IS HERE FOR GOOD> whether the rest of Somalia get thier act togther or not. "once bitten twice shy" meaning we wont make the same mistake again.

Bari_Nomad, HornAfrique and Xasan one phrase for you guys " Actions speaks louder than words" SOMALILAND is the result of actions thank you very much. What has the rest of you been upto whilst we were getting our shit togther, I tell you what nothing. You have more talks than the so called UN< zillions of talk that get you no where, what can be expect of the Southerners when the vey men that destroyed our country directly or indirectly want to be elected. Then you all come here and cry wolf-pathetic.

Secondly, if you want tit for tat then here its: countries that successfully parted, Irland, North Korea, the former Russian Federation, the eastern block of Europe, the Balkans and most recently East Timor. Please, when Somaliland is ready to put forward her case for recognition we shall, right now we have more pressing matter at hand. Like building a nation. And as far as the question of Sanaag and disputed regions go, they are more than free to go. But lets speak the thruth here Erigavo, the capital of Sanaag had 90% turn out for the election....that is a fact. So cut the crap and propaganda. The fact is People of Somaliland no matter what thier tribe support Somaliland by perhaps 95%. Now if that is not majority I dont know what is!

Thirdly, for the election of Dahir Riyaale, you all know how close the vote's were. And as much as I agree that he is not fit for the seat, so far all the allegation against him are whispers....if evidence ever comes to light then rest assured he will be outsed and dealt with accordingly. For now, it only adds to Somaliland strength that a man from the manority tribe is in power and we have no qualms about it.

Remember hate will consume you, Love sets you free.

Peace and Love Nomads.

LANDER   

To all who oppose the independence,

1-Garqayaan’s historical facts

You say we were never unified as a country before independence. Shouldn’t that tell you something? In the history of the entire Somali people, we were only unified once and for 28 yrs of dictatorship. The country was a failure all around. The people who are nostalgic about the good old Bare days, is those who benefited from their close ethnic association with the dictator. You say Somaliland has a colonial connotation, but last I checked so did the word “Somalia” itself (Italian roots). You say the English used Somaliland as a trade root, but so what? You bring up meaningless historical facts. The European metropoles controlled and ruled the globe. They exploited other nations to benefit themselves, and they also determined the geopolitical landscape of many modern countries today. Including Iraq, Kuweit, USA, Canada, China and Hong kong….etc…there was almost no Country that can claim they escaped the effects of colonisation by the former European powers. You make the argument that NO one is disputing the fact the people of Waqoyii galbed were oppressed and massacred by the Bare regime, yet I notice a lot of southerners who claim it never even took place, but this point is sort of irrelevant. I say that because I, for one am tired of my fellow Somalilanders complaining to outsiders about our past miseries and expecting compassion in return. You bring up the point of if Somaliland where to gain independence, then should every faction who was wronged claim their own territory? Once again your allowing your prejudice on Somaliland come into play as if it were a minor peace of land belonging to One clan. So I’m gonna state the obvious and let you know Somaliland constitutes about 1/3 of the former Somalia and is a multi-clan nation.

So in conclusion to you: If Somalis were never united in their history with the exception of a mear 28 yr period that lead to civil war, tell me what historical argument can you present for Unification?

2-Bari Nomad’s pointless arguments

Britain is still holding on to N.Ireland/Gibralter/Falklan Islands/etc. Russia and Chechnya, China and Taiwan(still not recognized after 50 years!), India/PK and Kashmir, SriLanka and Tamil Tigers. I could go on and on forever”

And this relates to the Somali situation how?

The conflict of northern Ireland is one of religion (catholic vs. Protestant), China and Taiwan is political ideology (Communism vs. Capitalism), India and Pakistan is also religious in the disputed region of Kashmir (Hinduism vs. Islam) and as for Sri lanka, the government finally coincided to recognizing the Tamel Tigers.

Anyway, none of this can relate to the complex conflict of the Somali people.

You also said Eritrea was ALLOWED to gain independence and that is false. They had many wars with Ethiopia.

3-To all the Somalilanders

Lets worry about the internal affairs of our Nation people. Let us settle the problems being faced by Somaliland, political or otherwise. Some of the people in this forum bring up a good point about Sool and parts of Sanaag. We should figure a way to bridge the differences those populations have with the rest in order for them to feel part of the nation. More importantly we should worry about infrastructures issues, such as building a diversified economy, improving public services (i.e. health care) and building a strong national defence. My bretren, do not worry so much about recognition. When it is apparent that we are an economically viable nation, we have secured borders (free from threats of neighboring countries etc…) and basically the building blocks for a nation-state. Then the UN will have no choice but to give us our independence. Most importantly though, do not look for approval for our sovereignty from the rest of Somalis, it is a pointless argument clouded by hate, old stereotypes and jealousy. Nationhood starts from the hearts of its people, hence when people say “are you from Somalia?” You should respond “no I’m from Somaliland”. Little things like this that you keep in your hearts and minds will make a difference. When we start acting like a nation, then we shall be treated like one.

May Allah bless our Country and bring peace to all Somalis.

India   

Lander,

Respect my brother. So long as Somaliland has brothers like you around smile.gif we have nothing to worry about.

Bari and others take note. Guevera excluded.

Blessed   

It is interesting how we always end up arguing about the same details without ever coming to a conclusion. It is even more interesting to see that we are more or less saying the same things. Everyone: landers and non-landers alike is saying UNITE but the disagreement really is on how soon? Or maybe we'r just disagreeing for the sake of argument :rolleyes:

I guess we will just have to wait and see what the odayaal come up with... maybe they'll be a bit more diplomatic - she hopes ;)

Originally posted by Bari_Nomad:

When 'somaliland' starts puting people like Riyaale Kaahin in jail instead of electing them 'president'. Then We'll know they are serious about Justice and Human rights and not just playing lip-service for recognition

Is Riyaale Kaahin guilty? I mean I've read the article that accused him of being involved in the killings of some ppl in the north. But it lacked evidence!

Bsides why would Somalilanders allow him to be vice president for 11 years without looking up his history and then out of the blue two months before election he is a bad guy. hmmmmmmmm! It just doesn't add up. I am not defeding him, but I personally think that report was electioneering taken to another level. Innocent untill proofed guilty. You shouldn't beleive everything that you read.. especially on the net.

I do agree with you on the point that Somaliland and landers have a lot of sorting out to do before they seek recognition and Somalis as a whole need an attitude make over before seeking unity!

Ameenah.....anyone who worked for the notorious NSS is guilty. If i had my way , no one who worked for Barre's regime shouldn't hold any office......and lets be honest , everyone in somali politics faithfully served my aabi siyaad one or another!