Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

Should Somalia have Prisons?

^^^Somalis have every right to call a spade, a spade, and I will be the first to call out the hypocrisy of the clan-based, 'wannabe' islamic courts.

Inta diin lamooday ina madaxa lasaarto cimaamadihii Yassar carafat, oo magacyo carabi ah lala wada baxay, ayaa la rabaa beentaas ina xukun lagu raadiyo.

Insha Allah, our Islamic faith will outlast this dangerous manaafiqnimo, and its true beauty will shine forth and provide all Somalis with justice and equality.

dhulQarnayn :cool:

Republic Of California

Originally posted by Juje:

quote:Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

Soomaaliya needs as many maanokoobiyo as possible. Isbitaal Martiini, the former asylum, should be expanded.

Sxb I think you should get your facts right -
Ospedale Martini
was never an asylum place nor for mental cases. IT is the first General hospital of Somalia and the biggest. It was a pioneer only later to be ignored in favour of Digfer, Banadir, and Medina. However it continued to surface by housing and treating those that were wounded in the 77 War - and it still does. It lives on charity from local and international level.

Should Somalia have prisons? I thought they already had them.
Isbitaal Martiini, to the best of my knowledge, had a section dadka waalan lagu treat gareyn jiray with a residence part cordoned off. Yes, isbitaal caadi ayuu ahaa waayadii hore and halyeeydii dagaalkii Soomaali Galbeed kusoo dhaawacmay lagu daaweyn jiray in the later times, and they still do live in there. Those halyeey were also built Shaneemo Shuun for them in Kaasabalbalaare.

^^^thank you - but that was not the question - the question is Should Somalia have Prisons? if so why? and if not what do you do to the criminals. just your opinion will suffice. :cool:

Nephissa   

^ We shouldn't have any prisons. What good do prisons actually do for Somali people anyway? Criminals know that if they get sent to prison, there is a very good chance that they will not have to serve half their time anyway. Qabiil baa Qaaraan u guri koleey. So, bring back capital punishment, I say. Anyone who breaks the law ought to be shot... no mercy whatsoever.

It may sound barbaric, but it's the only way we can encourage good behaviour, plus it's cheaper. Imagine waxa lacag bixi to run a prison..!

Originally posted by Sayid*Somal:

^^^thank you - but that was not the question - the question is
Should Somalia have Prisons?
if so why? and if not what do you do to the criminals. just your opinion will suffice. :cool:

No, somali should not have any prisons. prisons take too much money and time to support. I believe in the Islamic way. Fast punishment; served very hot and quick

Now that I have answered ur question, if u can oblige and answer me question, which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Nephissa   

L0L@before you.. :D .Istqfurullah.

Here, possibly the very best chicken joke ever:

A chicken and an egg are lying in bed. The chicken is leaning against

the headboard smoking a cigarette, with a satisfied smile on its face.

The egg, looking a bit pissed off, grabs the sheet, rolls over, and says,

"Well, I guess we finally answered THAT question."

Cara.   

^LOL.

Come on people. Is it really that hard to say you support or oppose something while acknowledging that there are pros and cons to either side?

Prisons:

1. Not the best deterrent and can actually harden criminals or give them more contacts in the criminal underworld for when they get out.

2. Expensive to run, from the buildings themselves to prison guards.

3. If it turns out poor Xassan really didn't steal that skateboard at Wal*Mart, the state can apologize and let him out. Now there's a bitter young man who lost a couple of years of his life in state custody.

4. A criminal record will make potential employers leery, but Xassan could move to somewhere else.

Public executions and corporal punishments:

1. A better deterrent.

2. Cheaper for the state (one or two executioners with an assortment of whips, sharp knives and maybe a guillotine vs many prison guards)

3. If it turns out poor Xassan really didn't steal that skateboard at Wal*Mart, the state can apologize and give him his hand back. Or not.

4. Xassan might have a hard time getting a legitimate job when any potential employer sees him with a telling stump. Moving away won't solve this problem.

Corruption and politics are irrelevant. The method of punishment/correction isn't the problem at that stage, but rather the justice system at the level of sentencing. Remember that man who was killed by his victim's 16 year old son in Xamar? Many people were saying that it wouldn't have happened if the accused murderer had been from a major clan. Go figure.