Sign in to follow this  
Curly

President Riyaale and his not so publicised history!

AYOUB   

Originally posted by Mobb_Deep:

Most of the generals who were ordering the killing of innocent people, the destruction of wells, the systematic rape in Puntland were originally from the north.

Mobb Deep could you please tell me the names of Northern Generals you are talking about? As far as I know most of Siyaad's Generals were from your necks of woods.

Originally posted by Liqaye:

My faith is that the SNM as an organisation and rebel group was head and shoulders of ALL other rebel groups both in their conduct of the guerilla campaign and in their post war administration and in the guurti system they pioneered which to my mind shows alot of political acumen..

You spoke for both of us.

Interesting how Mobb leaves out the SSDF history which is about switching sides and fighting for Siyaad against SNM. Its sometimes nice to hear what others are lead to believe, don't you think?

Gediid   

Mobb said

Fact: when the SSDF was fighting Siyaad, guess who was waving the flags for Siyaad? None other than the Northern states. 40% of his army stationed in Puntland was made of people from the North. Most of the generals who were ordering the killing of innocent people, the destruction of wells, the systematic rape in Puntland were originally from the north. It is written in the history and the people of Puntland haven't forgotten the blantant support Siyaad enjoyed from the Northerners.

Well let me tell you this for a fact Mobb ,the Northerner people you allude to only had one General at that time, so the multitude of Generals you mention did not and do not exist.Even at times when Siad hated the SSDF he always hated another group more....

I wonder what Ethiopia's sworn enemy in the forum has to say here with the admittance of Mobb that SSDF was Ethiopia's favorite... :rolleyes:

PS:

Somali history been faked a long time ago written to portray inconsequential events and people into heroes while the real heroes have been turned into villians.....but the one we talk about today most of us have been witness in some form or shape so there's no point in lying about it....

Qudhac

if everone says thay are talking about facts than there is no facts. what we discussing here is different points of view and how the SNM is view by different people. To me comparing SNM to ANC is little bit over the top but hey that is the way I see it. Does it matter NO. Does it change your view Big NO. So chill out sxb.

Lander

1. I have nothing against the SMN as I never come in to contact them either back home or anywhere else.

2. I think after almost 15 years of ending civil war in sland we need to discuss strategies, tactics and actions of the SNM to see what are the main benefits of the SNM movement and where did they get wrong. I don’t want to discuss what foot soldiers did or killing of siyads army. But strategies of killing civilians both slanders and host communities from the top SNM leadership to accelerate the civil war and to provoke the regime. That is as I understood the policy of THE END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS! And its wrong.

3. There is no justification of what the national army did so I don’t feel to defend them.

4. when discussing the SNM after the war we have to take in to account first Somaliland government heading by Allaha u naxriistee Cabdiraxmaan Tuur and civil war of 1993. Also the political consequence of those events. I don’t think SNM were simple man/woman who took the gun to get rid of the bad government but rather political, military and civil movement started long before even siyaad took power.

5. the reason I mentioned the legacy of SMN is that there is line currently appearing between those who are running the sland government at the moment and those who opposed it. So I think there is need to talk about the SNM as organisation not individuals.

6. I never said they shouldn’t fight against the regime but what I am questioning is their strategies that contributed to the death and distraction of many lives of both somalilanders and others.

Problem with you folks who talk of matters such as this is that you really don't know how to relate to others.

I really do but are you suggesting that we shy away any controversial topic because someone we respect feels strong about it?

Rokko   

Liqaye, I am not denying facts na'mean. I am just stating as it is. Without the USC causing chaos in Mogadishu, Somalis would probably be singing ... aabo aabo siyaad now. Correct me if I am mistaken. :D As for the gorilla tactics in the north, they probably would still be going on today if others like the USC didn't cause a popular uprising in the nerve of Siyaad's regime. If a nation is functioning, gorilla warfare in other areas can't bring it down without a real popular uprising hitting its command center. We have seen that in many nations around the world.

AYOUB, I hear these sad stories from my family and everyone seems to be certain about the fact that the northerners were aiding Siyaad when Puntlanders were being abused na'mean. I am now hearing the soldiers who were stationed in Puntland were more than 50% Northerners. My previous 40% estimate is incorrect I was told. I am not surprised however. This was Siyaad Barre's well known tactic. Siyaad did that with many regions na'mean.

Gediid, We all know the SSDF crumbled because they wouldn't let the Ethiopian claim to a Somali land. Maybe Riyaale is becoming their new kid in the block na'mean. ;)

Qudhac   

MOP

its all easy graping figures such as 50% from think air, but could you state something more tangible also could you tell us those generals you mentioned, because i have no knowledge of any generals from that region you mentioned.

as for who got rid of siad barre regime i believe each group did their bit in crippling his gripp on the country, but according to most people who analysed all somalis armed movements most come to the conclusion that there was none as complex as the SNM as fighting organization or as an political organization.

as this argument is dragging on i think people should read about the SNM and others here and compare them yourselfs, this is detailed analysis of all the armed somali movement and i believe it will demostrate why the SNM were head and shoulder above other groups similer to it.

http://www.onwar.com/aced/nation/sat/somalia/findex.htm

Baashi   

Sue,

Not long ago Riyale and his minister were threatening to indict Siilaanyo for the death of two SNM warriors. They didn’t follow through their threat. Why? They didn’t have to cuz they made the point that no one is safe from suspicion of some sort. They did that without even invoking the Boorame massacre.

Yes Riyale was part of the former regime. Yes, he was high-ranking officer of the notorious NSS Gestapo. And yes today he is the head of the Northwestern separatist camp aka Somaliland. Big deal! :D

The irony of all ironies is the fact that a struggle against dictatorial regime, a one so costly and bloody to the point where major cities of the region are reduced to rubble because the regime there was so intolerant that it justified the price...that struggle would yield its fruits to the very characters they had fought against!

Riyale is not guilty of any crime Silanyo/Egal are not guilty of. The reason being the transgressions committed in that region particularly in Boorame and Burco way after Barre is ousted is very much on the table. That is why elders wanted to dismiss all and everything past that grand meeting in Boorame/Burco as a gesture of reconciliation.

Mobb,

Here is simple logic: SNM as well as other rebel groups had no other avenue to air their grievences other than to fight. For one, Barre wouldn't allow any dissident to say anything aginst his despotic military junta. For this reason I don't question the merits of these movements. What I very much question, however, is the conduct of their struggle, the tactics, the clannish pride tha very much colored each and every one of them. To say SNM were "mujahidiin" who wouldn't hurt a fly unless it deserve it is frankly an indication....u fill the gab :D

Guys it seems that everyone is occupied with his/her own opinions and believes. aren't there nothing else to talk about? and can someome please enlighten me what USC stands for. I am starting to yawn now so let's have a break for now.

let's pray for our people and country for the best. that is all I could think of when I remember the situations our people and country are in right now. It seems we are in a deep hole as a nation that will take years to recover from. of course the coming future might hold a different scenerio for us but things are getting too blur to even see through. May be I am among the ones who say " I had given up hope for those odd and strange people of that country called somalia"