Sign in to follow this  
Liqaye

survey reveals wide income gap between somalia and somaliland.

Liqaye   

By Dr Ismail I Ahmed

The average incomes in Somaliland have dramatically increased after the war and are now significantly higher than those in the regions of Somalia, according to a joint study by the World Bank and UNDP. The Socio-Economic Survey which was published on 14 January 2004 compares the per capita income of 18 Somali regions. The results show that the five regions of Somaliland top the income league table.

The study says the regions around Mogadishu were richer before the war because of heavy concentrations of commerce, industry and services. In the last income and expenditure survey conducted some 20 years ago, Somaliland regions came at the bottom of all the 18 regions. Now average household incomes in Somaliland regions are 50% higher than those in Somalia.

The North-west region (Hargeisa & Sahil) is the richest with average incomes three times the level in the poorer regions such as Mudug, Gedo, Bay and Bakool.

Awdal region has the second highest per capita income. The income level in Awdal with predominantly rural population is even higher than those of entirely urban population in Mogadishu region. The study says urban population have generally much higher annual incomes than nomadic and rural people. This means that on average rural households in Awdal villages enjoy higher incomes than urban families in cities such as Mogadishu.

The survey results support earlier studies that estimated Somaliland’s per capita income to be the same level as those of the lower-middle income countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. Studies also confirm that the quality of life has dramatically improved in the post-war period.

Sophist   

Areey tanoo kale?

Waraa yarkaan ookiyaala xirtee reer london wuxuu doono moo qoraayaa isaga! calaayataxaal, cunigaan isaga ayaa qorey reportkaan. Ani sifiican aan ukasaa, last weekend aan isla joogney walahi! waan kuqabsaddey warka ah lacagta Debeda laga diro 50% kabadan waxaa loodiraa "Somaliland-Noprwest of Somalia". Warkaas meeshee kakeentey aa dhahay! wax uu ku jawaabo waa kasiwaayey.

Midkoo kasto wax lee qoraayaa ! Laakiin ah , al aah ha usiyaadiyo dhaqaalaha walaalaheena soomaali oo idil.

Sophist

LANDER   

These are already well known facts, to most Somalilanders at least. Some immature children will run around trying to compare incomes of their regions to Somaliland but I suggest Mr.Oodweyne, that you allow them to indulge in their childish fantacies. We do not take pleasure in the suffering of some of our somali brethren and we don't need to compare ourselves to them. We know how far we have come, and the biggest challenge now (other than secure borders) is to not get comfortable with our current situation. There is still alot to be improved and we have to focus on that.

Glad to hear it!

LANDER -

I agree with what you said, only wish you woulda said it in a less demeaning manner. But nonetheless, point taken!

'Some immature children will run around trying to compare incomes of their regions to Somaliland but I suggest Mr.Oodweyne, that you allow them to indulge in their childish fantacies.'

But I'm sure the 'other' side of the camp woulda done the same thing. Don't fall into the trap, buddy!

BN   

Lander/Odweyn,

I'm glad you guys have completely reversed course and are now praising the UN :rolleyes:

I think your missing the main word in this so called 'study' which is SURVEY. Meaning(if I'm not mistaken) they went around to different housesholds and asked them to fill this survey out. And we all know how honest, impartial, and virtuous Somalis and Somali Governments can be... ;):D .

Notice "The programme is implemented by UNDP in collaboration with Somali administrations." I'm sure Mr. NSS(Riyaale) had a field day with this survey :D

Somalia Socio-Economic Survey 2002:

Limitations of the Data

"A major limitation of the data from household surveys is due to memory lapse of the respondents. Secondly, some of the answers

provided by the respondents are influenced by their perceptions which in turn depend on their understanding and interpretation of

the relevant terms (e.g.“good”, “fair”, “poor”, “participation”,

“problem”)." [/i

BN

BN   

Originally posted by Mr Oodweyne.:

This is interesting, I could swear that I remember right in here in a couple of months back, that there was one of the chaps from Somali-weyn camp, I presume it was Mr Bari-Nomad, but I am not so sure, who used to parade around in here with this seemingly UN report that say the city of Bossaso has higher income per capita per head than that of Hargeisa City, even if one were to consider the variation of population density of the two cities.

Please show me where in the 'survey' it contradicted the earlier UN Study that Bosaso residents earned a higher income then their Hargeisa counterparts?

Hopefully, you'll be able to answer this straightforward question and NOT go into hiding again :D:D:D

B-N

AYOUB   

We know how far we have come, and the biggest challenge now (other than secure borders) is to not get comfortable with our current situation. There is still alot to be improved and we have to focus on that.

The question is how??? How do you end or ease the suffering caused by poverty? Is there anyone even addressing the issue? Some people have recovered and made something of themselves from the rubble and minefields, but the are lots of people who are still struggling to make ends meet.

LANDER   

very good question Ayoub,

the answer is not simple since there is alot to be improved, a general answer would be to establish important economic structures that would allow for our economy to flourish beyond the investment of the returning residents. The first place to start in my opinion would be to increase trade and deal with the inflation. I hope to come back to this subject another time to elaborate.

I am starting to think old stone age people in this form are weird......What kinda people are u comparing incomes of somalia.........First off I don't know much about Somali-land except it's in somalia and owned by Hargesian people who kick ****** people out claming they're ONLF supporters..If they are richer it's not gonna do them any good except make them think they have power.....But we all know money doesn't last for

ever.....

Somali is a un developed and people that live their that do have jobs only get it by the grace of god and the rest get their paycheck from over seas....So what income are u comparing........

Dont flatter yourself it's not like other city wont start to develope and get better...As u know Allah helps all not only Hargesa people... First offu people here shouldn't act superior b/c ur suppose to wish the best for ur other muslim bro/sis not act all that....... Don't compare wish what u wish for hargesia for all of somalia.

Samafal   

I dont know about this comparison of incomes of different cities in somalia but there is some thing i know for sure: We are poorest of the poor ay duwarsato Comic relief iyo hay'ado ajaanib. Comparing Somali incomes while the pictures i get on my screens are not ones to be desired is like adding an insult to the injury. Grow up guys and soon