Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

Open Letter to Ahmed Ould Abdallah, the UN Special Envoy to Somalia

Originally posted by Baashi:

The question remains unanswered. It is a specific, direct, and
munaafaqad
-proof one!

Castro has tried to answer it. But unfortunately he went off on tangent. The fact of the matter is that Ethiopian withdrawal has been addressed and surprisingly enough addressed to the ASR’s satisfaction. Tigre mercenaries will exit in due time. Just as they demanded, a specific date, time table has been marked on the calendar.

Whether that materializes or not remain to be seen. Looks like an extension is immenant for obvious reasons. The important milestone that should be noted is that both factions are willing to compromise. TFG gives up Tigre mercenaries and demands UN blue helmets in return for security reasons until permanent settlement on the core issues of the conflict are negotiated. UIC leadership accepts temporary deployment of UN blue helmets and in return demands Ethiopian withdrawal from Somali soil. They wanted a date and they got one.

Unfortunately we are not there yet. This will take us back to where we were before the two sides locked horns. At the table are a laundry list of difficult and humongous issues that have monumental implications of how the civil war gains/losses will be addressed and how post-conflict Somalia will be led. Islamic state, federal state, strong central-periphery state, regional autonomies with loose connection to the weak central state which kind of government will Somalis have!!!

At this juncture what the UN rep is trying to attain is a ceasefire and end of hostilities so that matters of large importance can be dissected to everyone’s satisfaction. But hey SOL sipping-latte fat cats want to deny folks on the ground a clean break because their conscious would not allow them to see TFG survive.

As to the restless secessionist kid on the marathon I will say this to him: recusal is in order. For you have irreconcilable conflict of interest in all of this. The agreement ICU leadership signed in Djibouti calls for united Somalia with its territorial integrity intact. As proponent of secession, your wailings are regrettable but nevertheless understandable. UIC and ASR views on the territorial integrity of Somalia are nonnegotiable. Have you given up the secession boy? If you haven’t, I don’t know what to make of your incessant
doc ka yeernimo
in the middle of a fight between two factions that insist on preserving Somali unity.

Allow cimrigaaga dheeree! Khalaas.

Castro   

^^^^ Yes to the cimri dheer, not quite to the khalaas. You see, good Xiin, this agreement as I've been saying all along is hardly worth the paper it's written on. 1) the (God damn?) International community will not do anything to make it work 2) much of the opposition didn't (couldn't or wouldn't) attend.

I'm not sure if you've been hearing the news but there's been fierce fighting in Muqdisho these past few days. Fighting so fierce that you could swear there was no agreement signed. An assassination attempt on Yey, Ethiopians attacked, the usual retaliation and the inevitable outcome: dead and displaced civilians. In other words, business as usual.

Tell me atheer, if this agreement is the panacea you so desperately make it out to be, why has nothing changed on the ground.

Even the bloody Israelis and Hamas are able to calm things down in Gaza. Why is Muqdisho still on fire? (Hint: the agreement was signed between two supporting actors. The lead actors didn't show.)

^^Adeer the agreement has not taken effect yet! Even when it does take effect, I am afraid all guns will not be silenced. That's the nature of somali conflict.

edit:I think I inhaled too much buffs from the peace pipe, when i wrote what i wrote here, Castro!

Sophist   

“Name one reasonable and practical thing that should be done in order to bring them to the peace process” Baashi

Baashi, it is good of you to ask. Questions are easily asked, answers however are oftentimes difficult to formulate but as far as one can see, looking at it by and large, in the fairness of time , you would find that, not to put too fine a point on it, the matter was partially dealt in letter. All that been said; let me elucidate further, shed some light to the matter, make perhaps more clear for us all to comprehend fully. The aim of a political dialogue, when it presents itself in the public forum of any society, is to articulate and to make explicit those shared notions and principles of thought to be already latent in the common sense, or as it is often the case of the Somali politics, if common sense is hesitant and uncertain and it does not know what to think, to propose to it certain conceptions and principles congenial to its most essential convictions and cultural underpinnings.

Now, the real task is to discover and formulate the deep-seated issues of contention which one hopes one is versed in. To begin the process of reaching out, Ahemedou’s office must recognise the importance of both absent groups; the group in Asmara (led by Sheikh H. D. Aweys) and Al-Shabaab within this conflict. He must then open the door for dialogue and must work tirelessly towards winning their trust. Dear chap, in shuttle diplomacy and realpolitik, where there is a will there must be a way. How may you ask can this achieved? One hopes, by undertaking the following:

1. Dropping the terror label

2. Speed-up replacement of Ethiopian troops with multinational peacekeeping forces, led by United Nations troops that are culturally acceptable to Somalis - preferably from Arab, Islamic and African states.

3. Must show his commitment towards setting up a war crimes tribunal/investigating panel

One can never be certain of course in our political theatre as the average Somali politician has the political maturity of a Italian, the flexibility of a German, the modesty of the French together with the imagination of the Belgium, the generosity of Dutch and the intelligence of the Irish. No wonder we are in this predicament.

Sophist

PS: Good to be back, have been in the political wildness far too long smile.gif

RedSea   

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

Red-I don't usually share Xiin's optimism, I do however feel he means well. I know that's departure from my usual stance, but take bird-eye view of things in Somalia, and the world in general, and you will realize everything we do as Somalis regardless of your political affiliation is self-defeating. We need radical change in our thinking. Obviously everything we did so far isn't working.

I see your point. I think I am willing and even the Sheekh himself as the leader of the movement is and has always been willing to put nothing before the interests of the somali people.

The points mention in this article by both brothers Sophist and Castro and the most reasonable and would bring about a change of direction rather quickly. Folks like I and others debate and we thing this isn't the best way to bring about peace in somalia, nor do we think this will result in anything, not that we are against peace. Who would be for war, when peace is on the table< i tell you no one would.

These the points mention again:

1. Drop the terror label.

2. Come to a middle ground.

3. Speed the process of UN forces deployment.

4. Address all the gross human rights violations commited and hold Ethiopia, TFG etc.. accountable.

So far all those points have been overlooked. Al shabaab is label as the terror movement, while the TFG and the EThiopians are the legit parties concern. This is only the reality which is been ignored by both Xiin Faniin and Baashi.

We already see that the Djabtuuti agreement hasn't had any effect. So what went wrong. Well the points above weren't addressed, that is what went wrong.

RedSea   

Baashi,

The restless seccesionist kid is cheering on for the Alshabaab movement. they are men of honor and I beleive that Somaliland wouldn't have any problems at all in working out something with them. If you think I am lost in translation, then think again. Somaliland has more in common with the opposition in Southern Somalia, then they have with the xaraam entity that you are legimizing over us.

The TFG which you hold high hopes on has lost any chance to stay as somalia' national government, and nothing can save it from being ousted from the country. When that day comes, Somaliland and the liberators of Southern Somalia will have no problem in reaching out to each other. Besides the sons of Somaliland are in this fight, not on your side, but rather on teh side of the liberators. That you shall keep in mind old man.

In addition, the TFG doesn't reaffirm the territorial integrity of Somalia, what are you on here?

If they were surely they wouldnt' have invited you know who to the country to commit mass killings on the citizens of the country. Save us the empty rhetorics old man. You are loosing it, and any chance of seeing Abdullahi Yusuf rule in Somalia has zero chance of happening.

Inta ay joogtana xabad laga dayn maayo, markay tagtana xabad ayaa lagala daba tagayaa ilaa mid mid loosoo qabto oo qoorta loo dheereyo. Taasi wa cadaalada, miyaad ooyi maalintaas, mise waa dilaaci? Xaqu marnaba been masheego.

Fabregas   

quote:Somaliland has more in common with the opposition in Southern Somalia, then they have with the xaraam entity that you are legimizing over us. with the xaraam entity that you are legimizing over us.

Somaliland wouldn't have any problems at all in working out something with them.

Somaliland admin is more closer to the TFG than you would think, saxiib! Remember, they(SL admin) are fighting the "terrorists" too and handing over poor Somalis accused of being ONLF! If Alshabaab or their allies would ever march anywhere near Somaliland, don't be suprised if you saw Riyaale calling Adiss Ababa or Yankees for some help :D

RedSea   

Udub congradualted on Ethiopia' march to Muqdisho, while Kulmiye and Ucid made the comparison of Muqdisho's human suffering to Hargeys's in '88.

Siilaanyo said: "anagu Ethiopian kayeeli mayno in aan dabo dhilif onoqono'

I am pro Kulmiye for the sake of that, that I hope one day Insha Allah someone like Silanyo or Dr. gaboose can change the course of Somaliland and turn it into moral country that doesn't congradualate those who are commiting mass killing in somalia, but rather critizes it like Kulmiye party did.

Somaliland isn't all about Udub, and Udub supporters aren't the only somalilanders people.

ps. NG, the new commander of Al shabaab is from Burco. His name is sheekh Mukhtar AZuhr. He is close to sheekh Cali warsame from burco. They are untouchable in Burco. :cool:

Inta ay joogtana xabad laga dayn maayo, markay tagtana xabad ayaa lagala daba tagayaa ilaa mid mid loosoo qabto oo qoorta loo dheereyo. Taasi wa cadaalada, miyaad ooyi maalintaas, mise waa dilaaci? Xaqu marnaba been masheego.

looks like you are loosing it and it shows your mindless ranting of killing other Somalis who do not share your view point. It is people like you who give Islam a bad name as mindless killing machine even when most people killed are muslims.

My question to you is how do you live with yourself with these kind of hate when you live and prosper in non-muslim society and you were welcomed as a refugee.

Cige   

Cige, isagoo oodihiisii wata!

I was looking at Somali websites to find out whether Las Anod is librerated but couldn't find it ;)

RedSea   

^stop the warmongering waryaa.

peaceaction,

lool@killing other somalis. Yet another pro invasionist backdoor hypocrit. That way>>>>>>>>>>