Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

Open Letter to Ahmed Ould Abdallah, the UN Special Envoy to Somalia

^^^Adeer stop beliveing in your own lies. Killing local police in a village in the middle of now where does not liberate anything.

Again who are the courts admin? Names please, even a video.

Red-I don't usually share Xiin's optimism, I do however feel he means well. I know that's departure from my usual stance, but take bird-eye view of things in Somalia, and the world in general, and you will realize everything we do as Somalis regardless of your political affiliation is self-defeating. We need radical change in our thinking. Obviously everything we did so far isn't working.

Baashi   

The question remains unanswered. It is a specific, direct, and munaafaqad-proof one!

Castro has tried to answer it. But unfortunately he went off on tangent. The fact of the matter is that Ethiopian withdrawal has been addressed and surprisingly enough addressed to the ASR’s satisfaction. Tigre mercenaries will exit in due time. Just as they demanded, a specific date, time table has been marked on the calendar.

Whether that materializes or not remain to be seen. Looks like an extension is immenant for obvious reasons. The important milestone that should be noted is that both factions are willing to compromise. TFG gives up Tigre mercenaries and demands UN blue helmets in return for security reasons until permanent settlement on the core issues of the conflict are negotiated. UIC leadership accepts temporary deployment of UN blue helmets and in return demands Ethiopian withdrawal from Somali soil. They wanted a date and they got one.

Unfortunately we are not there yet. This will take us back to where we were before the two sides locked horns. At the table are a laundry list of difficult and humongous issues that have monumental implications of how the civil war gains/losses will be addressed and how post-conflict Somalia will be led. Islamic state, federal state, strong central-periphery state, regional autonomies with loose connection to the weak central state which kind of government will Somalis have!!!

At this juncture what the UN rep is trying to attain is a ceasefire and end of hostilities so that matters of large importance can be dissected to everyone’s satisfaction. But hey SOL sipping-latte fat cats want to deny folks on the ground a clean break because their conscious would not allow them to see TFG survive.

As to the restless secessionist kid on the marathon I will say this to him: recusal is in order. For you have irreconcilable conflict of interest in all of this. The agreement ICU leadership signed in Djibouti calls for united Somalia with its territorial integrity intact. As proponent of secession, your wailings are regrettable but nevertheless understandable. UIC and ASR views on the territorial integrity of Somalia are nonnegotiable. Have you given up the secession boy? If you haven’t, I don’t know what to make of your incessant doc ka yeernimo in the middle of a fight between two factions that insist on preserving Somali unity.

Thierry.   

Looks very good Sophist.

Bashi

quote:

Therefore, everything must be done to reach out to all those opposition groups, particularly the military arm of the ARS whose influence cannot be ignored.

Name one reasonable and practical thing that should be done in order to bring them to the peace process dirrin?
Bashi Adeer it is not as hard as you make it out, in fact the process of bringing the other groups in the resistance is in full motion. Delegations representing the elders of H clan who have embraced this agreement have already been dispatched to Asmara to convince Sh Aweys to accept the agreement.

With regards to the Al Shabaab with the exception of few radical leaders majority of the foot soldiers have are controlled are allowed to operate in the South by those elders.

Get the elders from south on board and you will tame majority of the conflict

^LooooooooooL..I could see where you are going with this but When Sharif was being interviewed on BBC, the presenter made note of the fact that Sharif, Aweys, and Nur are to put politely from the same region. But regardless, whether one seeks Qabiil hegemony, secession or an Islamic state, one thing is sure; none of us are getting what they want. Maybe it's about Somalis learn to give some and take some. A pursuit of selfish narrow interest, incompetent and uncompromising leadership, passive apathetic populace and external enemies namely America have decimated our land and our people. Ninkii dan gaara wata tan guud haka shaqeeyo. Simply, shacabka Soomaaliyeed haloo turo.

One good thing about Sharif is his insistence on the welfare of the Somali people. Hardly anyone else mentions that in their arguments.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Baashi:

quote: Therefore,
everything
must be done to reach out to all those opposition groups, particularly the military arm of the ARS whose influence cannot be ignored.

Name one reasonable and practical
thing
that should be done in order to bring them to the peace process
dirrin
?

Sophist awoowe think through on this one.
He might not be able to name it. Others might not be able to name but someone MUST.

Rightly or wrongly, that group still has the ability to sabotage proceedings and prolong the statuesque. Since it proved difficult to defeat them, isolate them or even run them out of town it looks like a way to bring them on board has to be found. Could it be that the TFG may have to sacrifice a pawn in order to get forward? What if it's the King himself that may need to be sacrificed?

Whichever way you look at it, a proper negotiation and peace settlement would necessitate the involvement of the resistance on the ground.

Sophist's report back from that meeting makes things look as bleak as they always were. I'm surprised it didn’t douse Xiin's optimism yet.

Thierry.   

Saxiib every movement has people with identities behind it the ideals of Al Shabaab and ASR is to establish an Islamic state in Somalia and to get rid of the foreign aggressors. Where most of the man power comes from at the moment is clear for everyone to see. Most fighters are from southern sub clans. Good Abu Mansur, Turki and Co might be the leaders of that movement but they are in the elders playground.

The elders who want Ethiopia ejected give the man and material power.

Give the elders a more peaceful way of ejecting the Ethiopians from their land and they will be receptive. They will convince Turki and Abu Mansur or in worst case scenario remove the muscle.

Remember Islam, the Mongols, Ottomans etc all started of somewhere with certain a certain clan or tribe, does that make it as you would like a clan movement or a movement that started from a region where certain people reside.

Thanks Good Mansuur & Turki are not southerners? And their clans do not live in the south?

Also who are these elders who are providing the muscle, name names?

As for your example of Mongols & Turkmen, how does that apply, we are clans these are nations as Somalia is?

Is it not amusing that one is masking clan militias who have always been against for what ever reason restoring the states, as a religious movement.

A notable historical point is that this same militia attacked the TFG, and is now crying out for the effect of the cause they out into play.

But your remarks were honest at least.

Thierry.   

Nice try adeer

This is the ICU the same folks that restored a city from the ashes, the same folks that cleaned the streets, opened ports, airports, banned khat, started collecting small taxes ad if that wasn’t enough invited the weak government to take its seat in the capital. There was no one against the government there my friend, the folks that refused governance ironically are mayors, chief of police etc in your TFG.

It so happened that the majority of foot soldiers from the ICU come from the regions that they controlled, these soldiers didn’t magically arrive from mars. They were expanding and other regions cam onboard but the movement started of from Mogadishu.

With regards to the elders they are the same old men that encouraged the masses to support ICU and fight the warlords in summer of 2006. today they are encouraging the masses to fight the foreign aggressors your weak government has brought. Al Shabaab are the same boys that kicked out Qanyare, Maxamed Dheere, Abdi Qaybdeed, Bashir Raage and co. the Shabaab are the local youth that used play football in Jazeera beach and sell tomatoes in Bakarah market.

The elders identity are well known infact some of them were documented in that fantastic documentary done by dispatches.

With regards to Turkmen and Mongols or Qureish, you asked whether Al Shabaab was a clan or religious movement I provided evidence that all movements start of somewhere irrespective of whether you believe they serve clan or ideological interest. Refer back to my previous post for their goals.

Castro   

Originally posted by Baashi:

Castro has tried to answer it. But unfortunately he went off on tangent. The fact of the matter is that Ethiopian withdrawal has been addressed and surprisingly enough addressed to the ASR’s satisfaction. Tigre mercenaries will exit in due time. Just as they demanded, a specific date, time table has been marked on the calendar.

My older brother Baashi, to whom I also owe an apology, won't you englighten us if you know what it takes to bring all the opposition groups to the table, dirrin or bloody geed hoostiisa?

And I'm not being facetious walaahi.

Also, here's a real tangent ( :D ): Did anyone else notice that some of us look down on the Shabaab because of their religious angle? It's as if the Shabaab are Muslim and we're Methodists. Never been one to claim utmost piety but when did being a Muslim become a slur? The Shabaab are Somalis (ergo, they all come from one clan or the other) but they also profess Islam to be their guiding principle in this conflict. What if they'd been purely nationalistic and secular? What horrid names would we be calling them then?

The Shabaab, with all their shortcomings, are us. Let's not try to create space between "them" and "us" in the hopes that the West gives us a favorable nod. It won't.

^ Castro you apparently have not been present in this section when a few SOLers (do i need to name names, & quote some of this trash ), in what I am guessing to be their way of insulting The honorable lads of the resistance, kept parroting a few phrases as if it were an insult like:

"Islamists" ...or the most surprising one "They want to establish an Islamic state in the horn" .

Al Shabaab are the same boys that kicked out Qanyare, Maxamed Dheere, Abdi Qaybdeed, Bashir Raage and co. the Shabaab are the local youth that used play football in Jazeera beach and sell tomatoes in Bakarah market.

^ nicely put bro