Sign in to follow this  
Paragon

Today, who is a true Somali nationalist ?

Haddad   

Originally posted by Discreet1:

How would you characterize the millions of americans who have the stars and stripes proudly displayed on their cars, their front porches, even as their pc screensavers?

Oh, you're talking about the recent fervor of American patriotism? It's attributed to the events of 911. Even then, only few bought the stars and stripes on their own, most were motivated by commercials. This is about seasonal business opportunism, similar to the one which motivated many Americans to buy duct tape. Few Americans care about patriotism or displaying it. In fact, Americans are more loyal to their local state and sports teams. At the moment, American patriotism has declined to pre-911 level. It might be even declining further.

Sincere   

Hadad know your playing with semantics. Patriotism and nationalism have thier subtle differences.

I like the way you term it recent fervor. Saxib patriotism becoumes articulated through passion and passion is spurred by war. Hisory repeatedly teaches us this; Vietnam, bay of pigs, gulf war.(Somalia's civil war is no different) Your inference that american patriotism is recent, does not hold water, its been around since the civil war.

My apologies for drifting off topic

Audacious: If you describe Siyaad Barre as “Gen.Maj.Aabihii Soomaaliya.Halganki wadanka.Geesgi Afrika†you need some serious history lessons. I am afraid history describes him quite different.

How else would you describe him?

I agree Siyad Barre is deceased but that does not mean the cancer he planted in the country should be forgotten.

Cancer he planted? Walal he wasn't a gardener :D

Walal Siyaad Bare's grip on power (the genius had many reasons thou) is 1//5 the cause of Somalia's downfall, the so called "president" and his mahbars (SSDF) , the "SNM" and their zionist "mujahids," the the moryoons who inhabit Moqadishu , and last but not least the all the ignorant,uneducated, tribalistic,power-hungary SOMALI'S is 4/5 the cause of Somalia's downfall

Haddad   

Originally posted by Discreet1:

Patriotism
and
nationalism
have thier subtle differences.

Indeed. However, patriotism is the manifestation of nationalism.

Your inference that american patriotism is recent, does not hold water, its been around since the civil war.

recent relative to post-911, not since the civil war as you've inferred. There's a chance you were in the US before 911; Have you been aware of any signs of showing patriotism? I am talking about the average Joe/Jane, not opportunist politicians or political events.

Jacpher   

Audacious:

Walal Siyaad Bare's grip on power (the genius had many reasons thou) is 1//5 the cause of Somalia's downfall, the so called "president" and his mahbars (SSDF) , the "SNM" and their zionist "mujahids," the the moryoons who inhabit Moqadishu , and last but not least the all the ignorant,uneducated, tribalistic,power-hungary SOMALI'S is 4/5 the cause of Somalia's downfall

Were you a member of Koofid Gaduud group? You sound like one. Seems like you took a full pledge to defend your clan no matter what. I wonder how far you would go to fulfill such a pledge? I guess your avatar says it all.

Why not change that pledge to defend the deen of Allah. Just a thought!

Were you a member of Koofid Gaduud group? You sound like one. Seems like you took a full pledge to defend your clan no matter what. I wonder how far you would go to fulfill such a pledge? I guess your avatar says it all.

Stating the facts of Somalia's downfall is defending my clan? :eek:

Haneefah   

Subhanallah, Walahi you folks amaze me. Please have some respect and decency for the sake of Allah and stick to topic at hand, esp since the brother has asked you to. Itaqullah!

As for the questions,

Originally posted by Guhaad:

Today, who is a true Somali nationalist ?

Alhamdulilah, I do consider myself one.

If there is one or two left, what shall s/he be doing?

A Lot! I believe the most important thing they can do is to start re-examining their lives and purifying their hearts. They should form a close relationship with their Creator then seek His forgiveness and guidance. This will help them become functional/rational members of society who are aware of their roles as Muslims, as Somali citizens and as well as global citizens. As stated in the Qur'an: "Verily Allah does not change the condition of a nation until they change themselves"--I guess this ayah sums up the point I'm trying to make.

So, Guhaad (Interesting name), I don't know what type of answers you were expecting there walal and I'm certainly not a social/political pathologist, but this is trully where I stand at the moment. smile.gif

ALLAH KNOWS BEST!

Rahima   

Guhaad,

I suppose it is of importance that we clarify what the term "nationalist" actually describes, because as is indicative in the following link nationalism is a concept which Islam is adverse to-but then it is open to definition.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Fields/2704/article29.html

On the other hand though if nationalism just means loving ones homeland and wanting the best for it, there is no harm in it (but then would you call that nationalism?)-therefore basically to define nationalism as a concept is crucial to this discussion.

Paragon   

Nafisa thank you sister, you actually answered the question. I wish others who posted irrelevant comments in his topic would learn to do just that- give an answer to a question. Comments were not asked for in the topic, yet most here failed to see that. May God help them.

Haddad   

Comments were not asked for in the topic, yet most here failed to see that.

most here failed to see that, because they didn't understand your question Today, who is a true Somali nationalist ?. It's not a simple question, because most visitors here are too young to know what being a nationalist means, let alone what a true Somali nationalist means. I asked what it means, but you chose not to explain. Besides, you could have made it easy for yourself by making the question a poll. Like this:

A true Somali nationalist is......

Are you a true Somali nationalist ?

a. Yes

b. No

Paragon   

^^^ You seem to know of other nationalisms quite well and yet you cannot imagine what Somali nationalism is! This is something that you (if you are at all a Somali) need to contemplate and realise on your own. Do not expect me to indoctrinate you with the meaning of Somali nationalism, as schools have done for you already on other matters. Don't wait for 'explanations' or to be shown what is what, just because schooling predisposed you to be such. If you can think, then I say exercise your brain to find out what things mean and are.

Start with the ingredients of nationalism. What is involved? We have a land, people and culture..and so on. Think for Allah's sake..think!

Haddad   

Start with the ingredients of nationalism. What is involved?

Let me start with the 2nd ingredient:

2: the doctrine that your national culture and interests are superior to any other.

Rahima   

With all due respect brother Guhaad, that was uncalled for-it is possible that at times perhaps certain individuals may not be in tune with what you mean. With my query I was not trying to annoy for the sake of it, I was actually sincere and wanted you to clarify-I’m still not sure as to why that would annoy you.

You can’t expect people to answer a question which is not really clear. The meaning of the question is dependant on who the asker is and how they define the term. You see, I can automatically assume that you are referring to the nationalism which is abhorred in Islam and thereby answer no, if however you mean by it to loves ones land, people, culture etc, then my original answer would no longer stand ground. If the concept of "somali nationalism" was taught in the schooling system, some of us have not had the pleasure of being educated in Somalia and have never come across it as a concept which is different to pure old nationalism.

Basically by asking for a definition some of us could perhaps give an accurate answer without doing a disservice to my beliefs of Islam or my love for my country.

Anyways please accept my apologies poking my nose in where it was not needed ;) .

Paragon   

Haddad, If you must know, the protection of national culture and interests are the classic functions of Political Realism. The functions of the 'state' (being the only legitimate actor or authority) must be concerned with the Three Ss - Statism, Survival and Self-help. But what you must realise is that we Somalis are today struggling with 'survival' and are lacking 'statism and self-help'. So we're far off from our 'national culture' being superior over others. The question of superiority is often a contegeous one, which many shabby wannabes use against anyone who loves his/her land, people and culture.

Now Haddad, I don't wish to digress this topic any further, so if you wish to discuss this matter matter indepth, start another topic. Maybe in that topic we can delve into it at will.

Paragon   

Rahima, I haven't replied to your initial post and your last one too. I wasn't annoyed and will not be annoyed with you on matters such as these, since you show little knowledge of what 'nationalism' or other similar terms are made of. As I suggested to Haddad, start another topic and I will explain why I think you misunderstand the term nationalist or nationalism.