Sign in to follow this  
Paragon

Today, who is a true Somali nationalist ?

Paragon   

Today, who is a true Somali nationalist ?

If there is one or two left, what shall s/he be doing?

[edit] I am addressing these questions to the users of SOL only.

The person I'm about to name is the only xildibaan/wasiir who has actually went back to Somalia on his own (not because of the recent political propagandas (roadblocks)) and did something. He actually did what his position said and started relocating the civilians whom lived in the government building and even paying their two month rent while at it. He is building a regional state and is bring law and order to the south (the parts he and his kinsmen control).

That man is Wasiirka dib udhiska iyo dib dajinta ahna gudoomiyaha isbahaysiga dooxada jubba Mudane Xildhibaan Halganiki Soomaaliyeed Col: Barre Aaden Shire (Hiiraale)

STOIC   

Nationalism is not given but a social construction.I doubt if any somali today will give up his clanish attitude and form a fictive kin native for the sake of his country.All society have had to face the problem of maintaining group loyalty and cohesion but our's is beyond reparable!.

Happy independance day mate! :D

Magaalada Kismaayo oo caawa laga xusayo habeenka gobanimada Soomaaliyeed

Kismaayo - 30.June.2005 Wararka ka imanaya magaalada Kismaayo ayaa sheegaya in xarunta maamulka Isbahaysiga Dooxada Jubba laga samaynayo xaflad ballaaran ku aaddan kowda Luulyo iyadoo goobtaas saqda dhexe ee caawa calanka la suri doono.

Qaar ka mid ah ururrada bulshada ee magaalada Kismaayo ayaa xafladdan ka qayb gelaya, waxana goobtaas haatan lagu diyaarinayaa ciidamada bambooyda oo la filayo in ay halkaas gaadda ka cayaar ka sameeyaan, sida uu SBC u sheegay duqa degmada Kismaayo Daahir Carrabey.

Deeqo Soona

SBC Kismaayo

Paragon   

I am dis-interested in shallow analysis of what is or isn't nationalism. I am interested in today's Somali nationalists. Are you a true nationalist? Yes or No?

PS: Cut the crap

shyhem   

Originally posted by Guhaad:

Are you a true nationalist? Yes or No?

No, I'm an opportunitist.I only care about things that improve my life and that of my family.When it comes to nationalism, i basically shop around and see who the highest bidder for my loyalty is.

SOO MAAL   

Definitely, I am nationalist and patriotic

Every Somali person who believe the unity and peace among all Somali people is nationalist

STOIC   

Guhad You came out as a young cocky teenager.Your original question was, "today, who is a true Somali nationalist" and not "are you a true Somali nationalist?".When i was responding to your question i was thinking about whether a strident nationalism is pervasive in our community!.The reason i gave you that "shallow" analysis of the word nationalism was because i was trying not to mistake patriotism with nationalism.I am a patriotic Somali but not a nationalistic one .Do i have a national attachment to the country? no i don't .Am i a proud and a loyal Somali?, yes i am.

PS...now i cut the "crap"

I am dis-interested in shallow analysis

Not shallow analysis, rather facts.

To answer your question of being a "nationalist" I don't know walal, I mean how can I love the people who wanted to kill me, who killed my uncles, my family, my kinsmen. I can't be a nationalistic for the Somali's picked up their AK's one day and agreed to get rid of me,I know you know of such slogans as "muslim iyo max's." I can't be a nationilist when I "distrust" the people.

Paragon   

Thank you Politically-Inclined and SOOMAAL

PS: STOIC, the questions are about nationalism, and not patriotism.

Jacpher   

audacious: Col Barre Aaden Shire (Hiiraale)

What! You gotta be kidding. Paying two months of rent and removing some road blocks erases his record full of crimes he committed in lower jubba area in the name of his qabiil? Isn't he the one who left the last phase of the peace conference in Nairobi to fight with Morgan in Kismaayo?

How in the world can you call a warlord a true Somali nationalist? If we follow this analysis, then all the warlords including Aideed, Yeey, Ato, Jees, Morgan, Yalaxoow etc, might as well be considered true somali nationalists.

Haddad   

Originally posted by Guhaad:

I am interested in today's Somali nationalists.

Define who or what a Somali nationalist is.

NASSIR   

It is hard to predict the attitude and loyalty of Somalis, which change like the climate of Ceerigabo, cool, cold, and warm. The social system of Somalis has been impaired ever since we extricated our nation from the yoke of colonialism. There is no reason and morality that can combine the missing components of the failed system of Somalis, hence turning the majority of its people into pessimists, opportunists and dictatorial beasts.

Isn't he the one who left the last phase of the peace conference in Nairobi to fight with Morgan in Kismaayo?

Yes he is, what did you expect him to do? Sit in the kenyan basketball gym while his kinsmen get killed?

How in the world can you call a warlord a true Somali nationalist? If we follow this analysis, then all the warlords including Aideed, Yeey, Ato, Jees, Morgan, Yalaxoow etc, might as well be considered true somali nationalists.

Walal don't we call one of the biggest warlords president now? :D To compare Barre to those drug dealer thugs is...is...UNBELIEVABLE. :cool:

What! You gotta be kidding. Paying two months of rent and removing some road blocks erases his record full of crimes he committed in lower jubba area in the name of his qabiil?

Brief article on Mudane Barre:

Somalia's third largest which changed hands many times since 1991 is now heading a to new direction. Security is coming back to this coastal city, currently controlled by Isbaxeesiga Dooxada Jubba (IDJ).

Unlike any other city in the south, the public was ordered to vacate all government owned buildings. The deadline is over and people are now being removed by force. It is also illegal to carry weapons in the city. This administration is distancing itself from the anarchy that plagued the rest of southern Somalia.

Kismayo’s current peace and governance initiative are the brainchild of Mr. Barre Adan Shire aka Barre Hiiraale. Mr. Shire received unprecedented popularity among city residents after he effectively built bridges among various feuding tribes and banned looting and intimidation by his armed militias. His new security drive is welcomed by almost everyone in the city.

He lost close friends and former allies when he told them he is not a typical warlord and he's determined to build civil regional administration. A former ally and a close tribesman,

Many Mogadishu warlords left Nairobi reconciliation conference after Abdulahi Yusuf was elected president and he selected Ali Mohamed Geddi as his prime minister. Those same men who left Nairobi in protest are now doing a remarkable security work in Mogadishu. They promised to dismantle over fifty extortion checkpoints in the capital, mostly operated by their militias. The rift between the new government and some Mogadishu warlords fuelled by the local media is growing each day.

Mr. Shire took another unprecedented stand on the new government. According to numerous interviews regarding his stand on the divided leaders, he is neither beating drums for nor condemning the government. He was quoted once as saying “I and Abdulahi Yussuf (the interim president) did not like each other in the past and our tribes have long standing unsolved issues. However, I promise to be one of the government's wings if it shows national leadership and works for public. If it tries to mislead us, I'll be one of the first leaders to oppose it.†Both sides are not happy with Barre's neutrality and are suspicious about his intentions. After all, the man controls Somalia's breadbasket region and cannot be discounted easily.

Many Mogadishu warlords supported Mr. Shire’s IDJ faction for a long time and they will see him as traitor if he doesn’t join their side of the conflict. He’s also sworn member of the parliament and was named as one of the ministers in the new government.

Mr. shire's neutrality worked for him so far in this chaotic country where new alliances are forged and long standing ones are broken regularly. Somali politics is unpredictable and hard to forecast.

News Category: Somalia