Sign in to follow this  
rudy-Diiriye

Is Hijab Compulsory?

Khayr,

OK...its obvious you don't get where I'm coming from. Please notice many nomads responded to Opinionated, but it was your specific response that I took issue with. Not because I agree with her, but because I thought you were quite nasty to her. There's nothing wrong with correcting someone, or advising them against pursuing certain questions, but there are better ways of doing it.

Personal attacks are not something I indulge in but I took extreme offence at ur last few comments. I'm not that interested in sorting out whateva issues I may have with you either. I think I'll just leave it 4 now.

Oh yes, I'm not sure why ur associating Bee with Butulo, but we are two different ppl.

Nafisa...

Yes, its a little extreme...but I'm sure u get the point.

Gediid...

Dadka waa in lakala qeybiyo...qaarna xumaan bey ka wadaan su'aalaha, qaarna iney diinta si fiican u fahman uun bey rabaan. Its no good telling ppl (esp dadka yar yar) something is so and so and not expecting some questions, you either try to explain it to them well, should you be knowlegable in that issue, or like someone mentioned somewhere, you try to guide them to an authorative person who can give them a meaningful answer...hadii kale 4 them it will be like believing in something which holds no meaning for you.

I have younger siblings who always ask the most confounding Qs, what good would I be doing them if I were jump at them and blast them to kingdom-come everytime they asked an uncomfotable question about the diin? I would just alienate them or worse make them lose interest in their religion.

Thats waxaan ku haysto Khayr, markaa walaalo, please don't misunderstand me. Its not about defending the religion, but the manner in which you defend it.

lucky! sista, asking q's is a good idea! thats how one gains understanding and knowledge!

by the way, i do speak arabic too! but knowing how to speak arabic and the holly guran interpretation r too different things!

by the way, what makes so sure that brother Darman

understood what he wrote! i mean r u psychic! :rolleyes:

LuCkY   

Ok Rudy that probabLy didnt make much sense but i thought you wouLd understand where i was going with this hence since you speak arabic and Learn the qu'ran(assumming which i shouLdnt have)that shouLd cLear it up.

Yeah Rudy keep roLLing those eyes...thats for me to know and for you to find out. :D

By the way you sTiLL didnt expLain what you meant by me being a zorro!

LoL...I always take eons writing replies. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Lucky:

Its no surprise because ALLah said you wiLL encounter many that try to find fauLt with isLam and fortunateLy they wont.But there is a difference between asking/debating-questioning so that you wiLL better understand.ONe shouLdnt jump down ONes throat for debating/questioning but shouLd sympatheticaLLy aide the other.Because we aLL know scoLding and being harsh is not going to change or heLp one understand the concept any better.

Lucky...thank you. I'm glad there's someone who understands my point. I completely agree...we have to be careful in how we deal with young spirits...lest we distance them further from their religion.

Gediid   

Lucky and Bee

I think I understand where you are both coming from and I absolutely agree with your line of reasoning but having followed this debate for a while now,I seem to have noticed how it has gravitated towards a line of reasoning where even the obvious is being challenged which makes me wonder if some people are deliberate in their assertions.

LuCkY   

Bee you are more than weLcome.Its just some peopLe need to Learn how to deaL with others.

Gediid it couLd be deLiberate or not but then again we are not here to worry about that but to make sure they get the information the right information and they get it without being insuLted or being scoLded.

Gediid   

Originally posted by Lucky:

Its no surprise because ALLah said you wiLL encounter many that try to find fauLt with isLam and fortunateLy they wont.

Your quote says it all Lucky and I beleieve early on in this post I said the same thing.......

Xafsa   

The word "hijab" comes from the Arabic word "hajaba" meaning to hide from view or conceal. In the present time, the context of hijab is the modest covering of a Muslim woman. The question now is what is the extent of the covering? The Qur'an says:

"Say to the believing man that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that will make for greater purity for them; and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; and that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands..." (Qur'an 24:30-31)

These verses from the Qur'an contain two main injunctions:

A woman should not show her beauty or adornments except what appears by uncontrolled factors such as the wind blowing her clothes, and

the head covers should be drawn so as to cover the hair, the neck and the bosom.

Islam has no fixed standard as to the style of dress or type of clothing that Muslims must wear. However, some requirements must be met. The first of these requirements is the parts of the body which must be covered. Islam has two sources for guidance and rulings: first, the Qur'an, the revealed word of Allah and secondly, the Hadith or the traditions of the Prophet Muhammad (S) who was chosen by Allah to be the role model for mankind. The following is a Tradition of the Prophet:

"Ayesha ® reported that Asmaa the daughter of Abu Bakr ® came to the Messenger of Allah (S) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asmaa! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands." (Abu Dawood)

*ahem* bad news people, I'm back. But I do have the following people to address:

Kahyr

Brother, what exactly about my posts angers you? That I have questions or that I look into other interpretations?

point clarification: I asked a question regarding INTERPRETATION of verses and not the actual arabic verse itself. As we all know, there ARE varying interpretations by scholars about many verses .

... The deen is not yours only, and I have every God-given right to ask any sort of question I want if it makes me a better believer. Do you want to stone me for that? lol...Do not have a complex with me bro because you can quote the koran all day....but you can't even carry out a simple debate about an issue in Islam. God blessed us with healthy minds...so i suggest you start USING IT.

Bee ,

Thanks for having my back girl. But it is not even worth...I wonder how he learned the religion if he never voiced any questions.

To everyone else:

It will make your life easier if you actually read what the post was about before you jump to any conclusions. Or at least understand the question that was asked. (no names mentioned)

Jaabir   

Some questions may indeed be motivated by the pursuit of knowledge and truth; selfishness and egoism may not be behind them. Such questions may also be spurred on by a striving for intellectual rigor and by the demands of faith. The differences between the people of faith on one hand and the hypocrites, on the other is a necessary difference which no believing Muslim can shake off or attempt to reconcile. So opinionated has every right to ask about anything she needs clarification about. since that, as she said, will make her a better believer” at the same time, opionated must take the rulings that are presented to her from the accredited translations of the hold Quran “ibin Kathiir translation” and the holy Hadiith and NOT question their validity. I understand that anybody’s ego and love of self can give a rise to many misdeeds and deviations that once they acquire a certain attractiveness in their eyes they start to persist in straying the truth and attempt to permit their falsehood by question every piece of evidence from Quran and Sunnah.

Rudy..

“There are no one blinder than those who don’t want to see”

your obstinate mentality is what causing you to defend your weak position on hijab just to prevail on us to accept your liberal a$$ idea’s and gain the upper hand in this debate.. I can see that your arm-twisting of the word of allah is stemmed from your wicked desires of causing dissension, argumentation and mutual wrangling between us…. Its 3:30 AM right now and I am kinda tired.. I shall expose your liberal wanabe a$$to everybody on a later time insha alaah..

Mr Darman!

[i shall expose your liberal wanabe a$$to everybody on a later time insha alaah..]

bro get a load of this! all i ask u is to lemme know your understand of this surah! is that rubbing u the wrong way! and as who claims to be a true believer to stoup down with this type of insulting words! how sad brother! i forgive u cuz i know u just human like me and the rest of us! but a true believer never bad mouths another believer! so please tone down your curses and debate like muslim brother! amiin!

Originally posted by Darman:

opionated must take the rulings that are presented to her from the accredited translations of the hold Quran “ibin Kathiir translation” and the holy Hadiith and NOT question their validity.

lol... Thanks for telling me what I MUST do...by the way..which translation should I be following (since there is so many) ..and while we're in the subject ..which scholar should I be following (since there are so many)...

I'll have a look-see about the "ibn kathiir" version you are reading..maybe that will help me understand where you are coming from.

Funny thing is...there are so many rules and restrictions in the hadith and from the madhabs than there is in the Koran...so Excuse me for having doubts about HUMAN ERROR! My faith is in GOD..the unseen..not scholars who came centuries after!

That's where I stand at the moment...I've been a muslim all my life and I suggest that you don't treat me as if I just stepped into it today, ok?

Khayr   

so Excuse me for having doubts about HUMAN ERROR! My faith is in GOD..the unseen..not scholars who came centuries after!

by OPINIONATED

Sis, by making such a statement its tantamount to saying that you are WISER then the ULAMA

who makeup the Collective Rulings that are woven in the Shariah/Fiqh etc. for the past oh, 1400yrs.

Well Allahu Akbir!

What an arrogant statement to question the Hikma

of the Ulama and say that you can just delve into

an ayat of Quran or Hadith and make your own Ijtihad/Ruling.

I think that I am hitting the nail right on the wall, b/c I think that you want an Islam that Caters to YOUR PERSONAL likes and dislikes, why else would you reject the Ulama, 1400 yrs of Scholarishp and say that your own Personal Judgements are more substantive.

Is it a suprise that such thoughts spring from someone what calls herself "OPINIONATED"???

Look, yes there are many interpretations of the Quran and Hadith and Islamic Rulings but if some new goon comes along today and says,

look the Quran doesn't say anything about Hair if u look at the arabic wording....so conclusion is women don't need to cover their hair and to follow that Sunnah regarding this matter is too complicated cause there are sooo many interpretations or

that we don't have to pay Zakat anymore cause its too complicated a thing to calculate and who's to collect it and use it in the West.......

Well my response to that particular NEWBY, is that there is 1400yrs of Scholariship that they have to combat beofr they can conjure up something new into the Shariah and trust me, the Ulama have scrutunized certain topics to the nth degree.

You can't just pick and chose Islam according to your own Personal Will and Knowldge, cause if that was the case, then you would be saying that you are Greater then the Anibya, cause they had to be TAUGHT and learn from others such as the Angels etc. b/c no man/women is COMPLETE

on to themsleves.

Your line of thinking is soooo liberal and secular, that it really doesn't shock me.

Another point to make, You don't have a

RIGHT to ask any and all questions in any and all mannerisms that you wish.

Why if that was the case, then there would be no need for ADAB in Islam and no need to respect anybody or anything b/c after all you do have a RIGHT to ask anything.

By the way, where does that RIGHT come from?

Go to Somalia or the Muslim World and yell out that crab "I HAVE A RIGHT TO ASK THIS AND THAT"

and watch what happens to you.

Its like asking Allah then "WHY DO I HAVE TO WORSHIP YOU, LORD" and even though Allah says that Mankind was created for that purpose-To Worship Allah, you ignore that and say "Thats not enough, I have a right to ask and a right to an answer and if I'm not satisfied, then I can make my own deductive reasoning and have a say as to whether not I still want to be a Muslim or Not"

Try that "I have a RIGHT to ask" line with your mother, does she embrace you with a Hug when you say that or get angry at you?

VisiT   

so Excuse me for having doubts about HUMAN ERROR! My faith is in GOD..the unseen..not scholars who came centuries after!

But Opinionated! How would you have known what God or religion is; if it were not for the "scholars" you revolt against?