Sign in to follow this  
rudy-Diiriye

Is Hijab Compulsory?

Is Hijab Compulsory?

"The Quran does not suggest that women should be veiled or they should be kept apart from the world of men. On the contrary, the Quran is insistent on the full participation of women in society and in the religious practices."

One of the verses in the Quran protects a woman's fundamental rights. Verse 59 of Surah Al-Ahzaab reads: "O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when outside) : so that they should be known (as such) and not molested".

According to the Quran, the reason why Muslim women should wear an outer garment when going out of their homes is that they may be recognised as "Believing" women and differentiated from streetwalkers for whom sexual harassment is an occupational hazard. The purpose of this verse was not to confine women to their homes, but to make it safe for them to go about their daily business without attracting unsavoury attention.

Older Muslim women who are past the prospect of marriage are not required to wear "the outer garment". "Such elderly women as are past the prospect of marriage, there is no blame on them if they lay aside their (outer) garments, provided they make not wanton display of their beauty; but it is best for them to be modest; and Allah is One Who sees and knows all things". (24:60).

The Quran does not suggest that women should be veiled or they should be kept apart from the world of men. On the contrary, the Quran is insistent on the full participation of women in society and in the religious practices.

Morality of the self and cleanliness of conscience are far better than the morality of the purdah. No goodness can come from pretence. Imposing the veil on women is the ultimate proof that men suspect their mothers, daughters, wives and sisters of being potential traitors to them. How can Muslim men meet non-Muslim women who are not veiled and treat them respectfully, but not accord the same respectful treatment to Muslim women?

To wear the Hijaab is certainly NOT an Islamic obligatory on women. It is an innovation (Bid'ah) of men suffering from a piety complex who are so weak spiritually that they just cannot trust themselves!

Muslim women remained in mixed company with men until the late sixth century (A.H.) or 11 th century (A.C.). They received guests, held meetings and went to wars to help their brothers and husbands, and they defended their castles and bastions.

It is part of the growing feeling on the part of Muslim men and women that they no longer wish to identify with the West, and that reaffirmation of their identity as Muslims requires the kind of visible sign that adoption of conservative clothing implies.

For these women the issue is not that they have to dress conservatively, but that they choose to. In lran, Imam Khomeini first insisted that women must wear the veil and chador, but in response to large demonstrations by women, he modified his position and agreed that while the chador is not obligatory, MODEST dress is!!

Xafsa   

This article is trying to show some kind of realtion between things that have nothing to do with each other....so many worng things I don't even know where to begin. First of all what men want and what ALLAH wants need to be seperated. The writer is giving too much credit and power to men and then complaining about how muslim women are miss treated......?

bilan   

salaam

well to whoever wrote this article, isn't is amazing that after 1400 years later people find out that hijab is not compulsory, that means the prophet(PPUH), sahaba(may Allah be pleased with them) and all the learned scholars understood the religion wrong and people who are living 21st century know better than them, it is very weak argument to say that hijab is not fard, cause saying that you are denying and rejecting verses of the quran. islam never told women to stay home, yes they took part of the wars, they were very active in the society, if muslim women are denied for these things then the blame lies within the society, not the religion,islam gave women their respect when it made hijab to be compulsory.and i see its benefit right now while i'm living here in the USA, while my coworkers do not flirt with me, they do not touch me as they do with other girls, because they know i'm muslim, how they know i'm muslim because of the HIJAB.and i wonder while you quoted the verse that gives elder women permission to take off the hijab, how come you did not see the beginning of verse where women are ordered to wear hijab?!!, and i do not know where muslim men respect non-muslim woman more than veiled muslim woman, and if they exist, they are the ones who believe hijab is oppressing.

Changed   

salaam caleykom smile.gif

i heard there were people who are there to mess the innocent minds of those muslim brothers and sisters who dont know much abou islam and i think this article is writen by one of them :( sad though someone people will actually beleive in it :eek: dont believe in what u read and what u see brother rudy cuz i ran into this book writen by a pakistan writer and waalaahi i was mesmarized by the lies he was preaching my sister found me reading the book and threw it away :D

Jaabir   

This is so sad walaahi… despite the clear Islamic rulings for Hijaab, people who claim to be muslims always try to undermine the believes of those who don’t know much about Diin by misinterpreting the words of allah to whatever serves their purposes… istagful alaah

Modesty   

Asalaamu Alaykum to all,

Hijab is obligatory, whether you like it or not. You don't have to wear it ,but point blank its wajib. The hijab is not a sign of oppression, it is a sign of obedience to Allah. The Quran does say that a women should be veiled, and that non-mahram men and women should be apart, except on professional talks.And the purpose of the veil is for one because ALLAH said so, and two because a woman should be appreciated for her mind,than her figure and face, and three it is a great sign of dacwah.

Rudy- I hope to have clarified that for you brother.Plus, hijab is a clothe, it doesn't do its job unless the wearer has the right behaviour.

Rudy,

I've read that article before and I think it carries some good points. I don't understand why everyone is getting all agitated..but you have to agree that this version of Islam everyone seems to be practicing nowadays is a little tailored to men.

I want to ask one thing thou: what do you mean by the clear islamic rulings? Do you mean the quran....or the scholars?

Coloow   

The article sounds fishy. Who wrote it? sounds like a feminist manifesto!

quote "

Older Muslim women who are past the prospect of marriage are not required to wear "the outer garment". "Such elderly women as are past the prospect of marriage, there is no blame on them if they lay aside their (outer) garments, provided they make not wanton display of their beauty; but it is best for them to be modest; and Allah is One Who sees and knows all things". (24:60).

Is this reference to the quran? Hadith, article?

Gediid   

One of the greatest threats facing muslims today is the deliberate misinterpretation of the Quran and Sunnah by so called "Islamic scholars in the west" to deliberately influence the younger generation of muslims raised in the west.This article is proof of such grand malfeasance.It is obligatory for women to cover themselves out in the open and in front of men.To say otherwise is simply going against Islamic teachings.What you see today in the west are muslims who are trying hard to blend into the mainstream Western culture and the only obstacle they have is the holy Quran.By misintrepreting it they are trying to rationalize their actions.Islam is a religion not tailored for one specific segment of society but rather for all of mankind and to wantonly pick parts of it while shunning other parts is tantamount to blashphemy.

Saalixa   

To wear the Hijaab is certainly NOT an Islamic obligatory on women. It is an innovation (Bid'ah) of men suffering from a piety complex who are so weak spiritually that they just cannot trust themselves!

somebody pinch me i must be seeing things or perhaps iam halusinating? :rolleyes:

i guess i have to go back to age 6-7 and learn that the hijab wasn't compulsory after all and i could grow up and not worry about it. ;)

What i want to know is what source this article was derived from Rudy, becuase whoever wrote it has no knowledge of islam what so ever.

assalmu alikum

i have a question. i didnt read the full article,but what i want to know is in muslim countries under shariah law, why is the hijaab enforced by law? i now its obligatory, but so is prayer, etc, but i mean i can understand having clothing restrictions enforced by law, because as muslims we have standards as to what is inappropriate dress and so forth, but regulating the hijab by force kinda forces people into hypocrisy, no? as somalis its enforced by family and school, and the woman who wears the hijaab is seen as a stronger muslim in the sense that shes more serious about her faith than the one who doenst wear it, but that doesnt take much away from the morality of the girl who doesnt wear the hiijab, pending they dont participate in sinful habits. but when its enforced by law, it makes the commitment to the hijaab almost meaningless, thats like forcing people to prayer by law, we'd have hypocrits everywhere.

Somealien,

Put bluntly, men want to control women and oppress them. They want them covered, hidden, and imprisoned in their homes. Their "laws" are tailored towards men. They don't allow people the freedom to practice the deen as Allah (s.a.w) said. Just look at every country who installed a shari'a law..and tell me this is not so. Look at the Saudis who don't allow women to drive!

If anyone here disagrees with these, please tell me how this is not so!

Changed   

somealein i agree with u walaahi , it shouldnt be forced because it said " a deen nastexah" and as far as am concerned , no one is going to ask me of other people sin, including my own kids" so why should the gov enforce

but what is sadder to me is how society has this image of who is perfect or who isnt.. a girl with a hijaab is supposidly perfect, yet the girl who doent is not ..(i dont know where am getting to with this but i had this in mind for like ever and i though i just express and see what people think) i dont think its fair to the hijaabed girl because she my like to wear the hijaab yet she may like to party too(what she wears restrains her in this case) , and for the girls that dont wear hijaab they may not wear the hijaab but they may pray and vice versa its a matter of choice to me (atleast) and what they do should only be upto them i dont know why people always have issues with it redface.gif ..its just the "standards" that are set by i dont know who that get to me , why do what other think is morally right , why are those that dont do it stared at or question or judged for this matter :confused: ..and am not asking this cuz am one of those girls that cares for what people think of her and stuff but its annoying when they do that it just ticks me off , and funny part those people are contradicting themselves , if they look unto themselves they are worst, they are hypocrites in this matter redface.gif

opinionated............lol..........