Sign in to follow this  
miles-militis

Hargeysa Airport on the brink for closure

How is it that a country that desires to establish itself as a going concern can not allocate a mere 150K to rescue one of its primary sources of income? Perhaps Mr Oodweyne and his secessionist friends could answer that for me?

SOMALIA: Hargeisa airport averts closure

NAIROBI, 26 Sep 2003 (IRIN) - The imminent threat of closure to Hargeisa airport in the self-declared republic of Somaliland has been averted for now after urgently-needed funds were found for vital rehabilitation work, the UN said on Friday.

According to a statement by the UN Development Programme (UNDP), the airport will remain operational for another six months, after UNDP and the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) provided US $150,000 to proceed with emergency patchwork.

“This is not a long term solution,” ICAO Chief Technical Adviser Joe Brunswig said. “The emergency patchwork will deal with the immediate safety concerns and avert the closure of the airport for now, but the fact of the matter is that the landing strip needs to be completely re-carpeted.”

Hargeisa airport is crucial to the humanitarian, developmental and commercial work that goes on in the region serving approximately 4,000 passengers per month from Ethiopia, Djibouti, Kenya and the Middle East.

The airport was built in 1973 to cater for the much smaller sized aircraft of the time. It was closed during the civil war in the early '90s and reopened in 1997.

"Over time, erosion and heavier aircraft than it was built for have broken up the surface of the landing strip," the UNDP statement said.

“UNDP is particularly concerned about the Hargeisa airport,” Country Director El-Balla Hagona added. “This is not just about humanitarian flights, the airport is also a business stimulant. The more facilities that Somalis themselves have, the higher the chances of their own developmental initiatives bearing fruit.”

Gediid   

One word saaxiib GROSS MISMANAGEMENT OF THE NATIONAL EXCHEQUER , even that a diehard sessionist like Oodweyne will dare refute.

the airport will remain operational for another six months

Privatise is the appropriate solution to consider. i think limited funding, corruption, no recognition and wrong way of allocating funding may all contributed to this problem. Otherwise how come airports in other parts of Somali ie. Bosaso is up and running without similar fate.

Grinov   

eventhough i hate cheering on the bad situation of our somali northern brothers, yet i can't fathom the level of corruption in riyaale local government. it was few weeks ago ,that a cpa, from north was presenting the north somali state budget, and its allocation. it was over twenty million, yet they couldn't afford 150k to "patch up " the airport, which is a lifeline to the whole northern somalia, including sanaag and sool.

sometimes the enemies of growth and prosperity are the closer than the barre regime

LANDER   

Very sad to see some of the so-called intellectuals in this forum still have ill will towards Somaliland and jump at every flaw to try and re-inforce their own political views. Their hearts are so filled with hate that they smirk at even the most meager of problems concerning Somaliland. Only Allah knows if you pray for our demise, but I suggest to you folks to start start looking inwards and learn to appreciate yourselves, instead of always looking outwards for somebody to blame or to bring down. Guess its a classic case of low self-esteem.

BN   

Originally posted by LANDER:

Their hearts are so filled with hate that they smirk at even the most meager of problems concerning Somaliland.

LOL. I wouldnt call what is going on 'meager' problem. Foreigners have to step in to bail out the second largest income earner(after Berbera) in the NW for another six months. What will happen when this funding runs out? Will there be calls for more handouts to operate this facility? I'm sure Riyaale could of gotten the money from his $600,000 annual salary or his $1 Million dollar 'Ministry of the Presidency' to fix up Hargeisa airport and keep it operational. It's all about priorities and we can see here that the it's more important to pay 50+ ministers chewing qaat in their villas. But I guess you would call all this "more progress"... :D

Contrast with PL where they are not only functioning well but new airports is being built. Like Garowe International Airport by a mix of diaspora, community and government funding.

Nugaal Development Projects:

http://www.puntlandpost.com/ndp/

BTW, this is the same airport which the Hargeisa government started the second war(1994-97) to get it back from 'militia' which were occupying it. Why would they neglect it so much NOW? redface.gif I guess it's like children who only want something when others have it....

Rahima   

As much as i hate to say this, i can't hold myself.

This is the typical BS (excuse my French) that i mean. Just take a look at these people fellow nomads.

Not only do they seem to be happy at the mishap of our fellow people, they are heralding their own so-called success.

Is it just me or are these people contradicting themselves. They go on and on about how Somaliland is this and that yet they turn around and bombard us with how great Puntland is. What’s the difference I ask you? So what if they want independence, don’t you feel ashamed of yourself that you are begging people who don’t want to be part of you to stay with you? Where is your pride, leave them and let them be. Go and fix your own house instead of worrying about others.

I've said it many times, I swear by the Lord of kacba i could not care any less about the politics side of it, i wish well for all my fellow brethren wherever they maybe, but what i despise and cannot take is the blatant hypocrisy that goes on here.

Honestly, the only person in these forums who I feel has reputable outlooks (even if I may not agree with them all the time) is HornAfrique. He maybe anti-Somaliland but at least he doesn’t herald some other Land but rather seems to impartial when it comes to these secessionist states. At least he wants the best for his people which ever land they may come from; just take look at the post he made about this very same airport averting closure. Much respect to the brother, I just wish there were many more people like him.

Salaams.

Rokko   

So, the name "Puntland" can't even be mentioned?

Aren't we all from regions in Somalia. What is wrong with being proud of your region?

Why do many people burn when they hear "Puntland"?

Isn't that a hypocricy itself?

I don't get the logic of some of the preachers here.

well here we go again!! stabbing each other on the back! just like lil kids. first of all, i dont belive in somaliland, puntland etc., bs! i belive in somalia ( do yall the the blue flag with 5 stars)!. thats my thing! if the airport needs repair, the repair the damn thing ok! whats all the fuss! and another thing! our current leaders whether their in somaliland, xamar or puntland, r the same tugs who were killing ppl and put us in the situation we are today! ppl living in diaspora! so please save me you regional bs! cuz it aint gonna go down with me!

i believe that we got bigger problems to deal with than a landing strip that needs repair!!!!!!

peace nomad--hopefully, with allahs help, we will come together!!!!!!! soooooooon!

Rahima   

Walaal, sababta aadan ii fahmin waxa weeye khalad ayaad iga fahamtay. I don’t care about Puntland or this and that land, if you read my post carefully you would realize that.

However, what I am against is attacking your fellow people and actually snickering at some problems they maybe facing- which some are clearly doing!

The way I see it, there are only two respectable views to this argument, either you support the unification of the land of the Somalis for you want the one land for our people, or you support the independence of your own region and respect others who want the same for their regions.

Don’t incite ill feelings and hatred, and most importantly wish the best for all your brothers.

Rokko fair dinkum indeed mate :D

Rahima – there is an old saying which sprang to mind as I read your note. I do not suppose you are by any chance acquainted with the saying “ ama afeef hore lahow, ama adkaysin dambe yeelo” .

How did it begin, and why perhaps should have been the question? Sure there is a neighbourly rivalry between the two regions which began mind you when our friends from the northwest region started a life long mission on the part of the administration in Hargeysa (for instance, Ms Edna’s outbursts every second she opens her gob; Ina Waraabe’s continuous animalistic rubbishing who goes as far as to have been quoted as saying that the child in Hargeysa shares more (feels the pain) with the baby in Adis Ababa than that of Mogadishu or Bosaso; ) to tarnish what was left of the marred image of Somalia accompanied by an online campaign spearheaded by their chieftains in the Diaspora by way of the mouse who are only too delighted to dance to the good old tune without deliberation of the facts, nor care for the rest of Somalia.

The result unfortunately is what you see. It is neither hating nor sneering at the misery felt by the ordinary person, and the colossal corruption in the administration concerned. It is a mere wake-up-call, or a reality check if you will for the ill-advised youngsters in the Diaspora whose only understanding of the issues is one of imaginary by proxy. Bitter. Sure. Distasteful. Indeed. Preventable. Of course.

Frankly speaking my dear, I do not consider anyone to have been more disconcerted by this piece of news than I were. It’s the appalling ambivalence and incompetence on the part of the administration along with the egotism by the likes of Oodweyne of constantly speaking ill of others as far as calling Somalis from the South as being primate Baboons that is being redressed here.

Do I like it? Not the least bit. Does it make me unpatriotic? Never. Is my nationalistic perspective blurred? Not in a million years.

Nomads, the politics forum was designed for discussions like these. We need to discuss topics about corruption in Puntland, Somaliland, Mogadishu and the rest of Somalia as it is reported by the international media without getting defensive or turning everything into qabiil. If we can't discuss issues like "saving closing airports" or how to improve the country's infrustructure in general, what other topics are we supposed to talk about in this forum?

Ma inaan qabiil mar walba isku caydhsanaa?

Mr Oodweyne, Horn Afrique, Samurai and Bari Nomad always post news articles and analysis as they are reported by the media. These articles about corruption in the goverment, military campaigns, etc, actually encourage real political debate while at the same time informing the nomads about the issues back home. I actually find these articles to be very refreshing and entertaining at times.

Lixle   

This is by far a display of childish behaviours in this thread. Nowhere else had I experienced the same kind of ignorance as in this very thread.

It seems as if you have at last gotten something talk about, something that is not in favoure of Somaliland's progress. But as always, am here to let you guys back into their former sorrow selfs.

First things first, we all agree the case is not of whether Somaliland could "AFFORD" to raise the $100,000 dollars by itself. This is clearified below.

From simple calculations...The monthly income from passengers alone, is as follows:

4000 * $40 ($30 for arrivals, $10 for departure) = $160,000/month

That does NOT include the monthly charges from United Nations flights, international airliners such as Ethiopian Air (3 flights a week), Djibouti Air (4 flights/week) and Regional Air (1 flight/week). And 5 local airliners Daallo, Star-Air, African Air Express, Gallad Air and Damal Air. Who all pay fees.

And also, the number of Cargo services.

If you add them all, the monthly income from Hargeisa's Egal International Airport could easily pass the 0.5 million dollar mark.

OK, take that aside.

Now, this leaves us to the "why then" question?

To understand the "why then" question, you should first read this article (http://www.so.undp.org/pdf/cacas.pdf)

CACAS, as you will learn from that PDF document above, is a United Nations funded program, that overseas the operational, safity, rehabilitation, maintainance and

development of and I qoute "aviation infrastructure in Somalia".

So, this leaves, me to ask you guys, when the whole airport is supposed be governed by that organisation for the duration of "in the absence of a recognized central government", why would Somaliland government take the blame then??

If you had been fair in this issue, then the ones that should be blamed for the problem is NOT Somaliland but rather

it is those so called UN reps who dine and wine in Niarobi's expensive game park hotels, all in the name of "Somali"

Dear Libaax-Sankataabte,

I concur that we should be debating economic, social and political matters of interest, celebrating our successes whilst discussing issues of concern in all regions of Somalia which could only come about if, and a big one at that, we [in the Diaspora] were honest with ourselves not haplessly conjuring up Blair style bamboozlement of lower scale. I see that not on the horizon, and as such perhaps taking a virtual swing [figuratively speaking], sorry to say at times below the belt, at one another from time to time is not so bad after all considering. Reality is not a commodity that is widely traded amongst Somalis rather fictitious malevolence is at large in many corners.

Affordability Mujahid has never been the case though God only knows resources to run a republic are as scarce in Somalia of all as the litter of petrol is in Moscow post laissez-faire market economy of the old communist giant.

And your remark “ … should be blamed for the problem is NOT Somaliland but rather it is those so called UN reps who dine and wine in Niarobi's expensive game park hotels" of shifting the blame as always in the case of the disappointingly trained African mind says it all. Why Oh Why Does one think along these lines.

It is your life. Your country. Your survival. Your future. The future of your children. Take responsibility for once in your life and clean your house rather than expecting the maid to alight the candle in the darkness.

Dear O Dear

I am out.