Sign in to follow this  
nuune

Why this isn't in the news.....?

nuune   

Somali websites and their so called tabloids are not reporting what is happening on the other side of the Gulf of Aden, it is really sad that our fellow men and women are dying there, Ilaahay ha u wada naxariisto

Somali migrants' death toll reaches 107

afrol News, 16 February - More than 100 bodies have been found after a smuggler's boat capsized earlier this week in the Gulf of Aden.

The latest casualties in the perilous voyage from Somalia to Yemen. During the last few years, many hundreds have died or been killed while trying to cross from Somalia to the Arabian Peninsula.

Late on Thursday, the Yemenite government and the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) confirmed that 107 bodies have so far been found along a remote stretch of Yemen's coastline after one out of four boats approaching the coastline capsized far from the shore on Monday. Survivors said at least five people remain missing.

According to witnesses, the capsized smuggler's boat was carrying 120 Somalis and Ethiopians. After it overturned, a second smuggling vessel, also carrying 120 people, forced all its passengers into the sea, picked up the smugglers from the capsized vessel and headed back into the Gulf of Aden. The 240 people were left in the high seas.

Survivors had told UNHCR they were in the water for several hours before they were rescued by the Yemenite military.

Read more

Taliban   

Originally posted by nuune:

According to witnesses, the capsized smuggler's boat was carrying 120 Somalis and Ethiopians. After it overturned, a second smuggling vessel, also carrying 120 people, forced all its passengers into the sea, picked up the smugglers from the capsized vessel and headed back into the Gulf of Aden. The 240 people were left in the high seas.

Survivors had told UNHCR they were in the water for several hours before they were rescued by the Yemenite military.

May those who have lost their lives rest in peace, amin.

From what I understand, most of those who lost their lives were forced into the high seas by the smugglers.

I am really baffled by what forces those migrants to risk their lives. From what I understand, they leave from the Bari region where there's relative peace and prosperity. Why couldn't the Bari people help them? I am also baffled by those Ethiopians who also try to make the risky journey to Yemen; who are they? Oromos?

N.O.R.F   

I am really baffled by what forces those migrants to risk their lives. From what I understand, they leave from the Bari region where there's relative peace and prosperity.

Maybe if it was explained to them that they face such a terrible risk, refugee camp in Yemen, poverty in UAE etc they would think twice. Their families are simply not aware of the risks and the authorities simply let it happen!

Please refuse to help anyone make any risky journey. They can like it or lump it! You can do without the dambi.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Northerner:

Maybe if it was explained to them that they face such a terrible risk, refugee camp in Yemen, poverty in UAE etc they would think twice. Their families are simply not aware of the risks and the authorities simply let it happen!

Why couldn't a few Somalis undertake a project to record a documentary showing the risks migrants face, the lifestyle awaiting them in refugee camps, poverty in UAE, iwm? Such a project shouldn't cost much; a professional cameraman, a professional interviewer, visiting Bari, perhaps taking part of the trip with the boat, visiting refugee camps in Yemen, interviewing those already in the UAE, iwm. I am sure if such a documentary is made and showed to the people at home or prospective migrants, they will think twice and many would abandon risking their lives for what it's not worth.

N.O.R.F   

^^Al Jazeera have already done the Yemen refugee camp bit. I saw Somali women working as prostitutes and hanging with men while their kids were asleep at home. It was disgusting.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Northerner:

Al Jazeera have already done the Yemen refugee camp bit.

Al Jazeera's was a report, not documentary, plus it wasn't aimed for prospective migrants. Even non-Muslims (Eastern Europeans, Mexicans, iwm) have made many documentaries aimed to discourage their citizens from risky journeys and difficult life in industrialized countries. I don't see why a few Somalis can't do the same.

N.O.R.F   

Your right its very much needed. Do we have any budding young 'concious' programme producers on SOL?

Mr Omaar Raageh may have done something if not he should.

Xudeedi   

That is the escape reality in Puntland and Somaliland. As ugly as it is, they could restrain or crackdown the bandits and smugglers who use the ports for their cruel business. The smugglers overload old and hardly functioning boats for their long journey with hopeless, but innocent people in search of a better life to a third country. Sadly, when the tidal waves storm the sea, they discard the innocent people they took the money from to the deep sea to curtail the weighty burden of the boat. It is a cruel and inhuman business.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Waxaan halmar ma'aha, laba mar ma'aha. Had iyo jeer ayee wadaan. Guryahee deganyihiin waala ogyahay. I don't know why aan habayaratee waxba looga qaban.

Inaad badda ku daadisid 250 dad ku dhaw, including ciyaal and women, oo aanan dabaalan karin is a massacre, a clear day massacring.

Dambiiliyaashaas dadka saas yeelaayo haddii waxba laga qaban cadaalad ma jirto.

This kind of tragedy was ongoing for the last 17yrs,,,, and every yr thousands end up the same faith as the number mensioned abve. and yes they were all aware that they were gonna end up this.

so wy to report this was their choise to die, no body forced them to the boat. they have been WARNED and WARNED and WARNED and WARNED WARNED and WARNED, yet they took the risk.

BiLaaL   

The real question is why the so-called Somali Government is not doing anything about this? Before you all jump out, i know the TFG is not able to do too much. I am thinking along the lines of owing up to its basic responsbilities by voicing their concerns to destination countries such as Yemen.

Despite all the hype about Yemen being a friendly country, it has a bad record of mistreating the poor refugees who make it there. Furthermore, it does not bother to setup proper search and rescue facilities for boats close to shore or even properly count the real number of casualties!

The UIC atleast had the distinction of voicing their concerns towards such tragedies. It is worth noting that governments such as Yemen had a different attitude towards Somali refugees for the brief period in which the UIC were in power.

This question leads to a much wider debate about the welfare of Somali expatriates in non-Western countries. The TFG has been busy setting up one consulate after another of late, but these so-called consulates have not been providing the required care, if at all, deserved by its own citizens. An example is the new consulate setup in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi. When will this consulate start defending the rights of its expatriates from the harrassment of Kenyan authorities? In any case, will an institution setup by a puppet government ever be taken seriously by any foreign government?

These pple are smugglers and let alone somalia,the civilized world ie the west itself has problems with smuggling.Am sure they are doing something about it coz long ago i heard some official on the bbc saying that arrests would be done in case of smuggling and etc,but the problem is that these folks are snakes,its hard to get hold on to them,or so i think.About the ICU,i doubt they could do anything themselves,coz these things happen randomly and not at a particular place.All the same,the Government should do something about it.

RedSea   

^No one is doing anything about it. If they were, we would have seen a change, there hasnt' been such as this isn't the first time.

I haven't heard about smuglling business in which these many poeple die at once. It's not an accident, it's an intentional.

The blame should largely be on those who are in charge of the sea ports that these people are loaded from. If it's in Bosaaso or Berbera, they should be blamed for this.