Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Why the Makhir project is positive?

RedSea   

NG joka.

:D Guys no one is against maakhirland. Just make sure this project was created sincerely to benefit your own inhabitants and not some other political taboo.

Secondly, regards to who looses. Somaliland doesn't control the Eastern part of Sanaag however Pland does. So instead of these people calling themselves Puntlanders, they will be MAAKHIRLANDERS. Ouch!

Third it's mostly Pland state that usually comes and walks all over the inhabitants while trying to sign illegal deals with range resources. Even after locals disapproved such deals. Somaliland doesn't lose out in either way since it was not involved in this area with the exception of short lived conflict in dhahar begining of this year.

So while you may believe that Somaliland might be effected by this, you should be aware that this maakhirland might just developed their own militia to counter any agressors that may try to steal the resources of maakhirland. As such, be careful what you wish for. :D;)

Thankful   

Counter the aggressors? Wow, that was interesting! Don't act like there is animosity between Puntland and the newly formed Makhirland? The two sides are brothers and will always remain that way, regardless of the past, nothing can change it. May I remind you that it was Somalilands own military official in charge of the Dhahar battle that said our own forces who were wearing our uniforms and taking our salary, abandoned us and started fighting for the other side. This is proof of the brotherhood both sides share and their resistance to secessionists, it's a loyalty that money can't buy. This took place after the disagreement of the resources issues, if there was anger over it, why would they fight with Puntland? That battle proved who is seen as the invaders.

At least you are slowly admitting that Somaliland doesn’t control all of Sanaag, hopefully you will influence your so-called government to do the same. Because I can't find a Somaliland map on any of your sites that doesn't claim the whole region as theirs.

silly as usual, of course it somaliland that has a lot to loose. Wither puntland breaks up or not, somaliland existence hinges on the false claim that somaliland was an independent country that has joined and then reclaimed its territories. hello people, you can't claim that if maakhir state actually functions. furthermore, forget reaching the border, you will have no excuse to continue to occupy the lands of these people under the pretense that you defending them against puntland.

Originally posted by Nayruus:

Add the upcoming Tsunami to the mix and the sovereignty recognition façade drummed up by secessionists in Hargeisa, will fade out and with ALLAH’s permit will be eradicated from Somali political landscape before 2009 federal election.

The readings of earthquake sensing devices buried in Borama and areas that are capable of sending signals to Djibouti are indicating, the Somalis in the far north western region of the Republic are in the final stages of declaring
THE AWDAL FEDERAL STATE OF SOMALIA soon after the Somali Reconciliation Conference in Mogadishu wraps up. It is predicted that this project will have the support of 91.9 % of the Somali people.

It is rumored that the people in Hargeisa, Burcao and Berbera triangle are advised to jumpstart the search for an appropriate name for their federal state as there will no more land-land fiefdoms in the Federal Republic of Somalia territories.

What name would you suggest? As Hargeysaawi, my choice is
“DUNBULUQ FEDERAL STATE OF SOMALIA”
;)
. No doubt in my mind and in the minds of rational Somalis the boys from so called “aristocratic genes” who blindfoldingly follow the SNM gang destructive schemes are not going to be happy with my suggestion. But, who cares? Let them fill up their stomachs from the Hageisa’s riverbed sand dunes.

The begining of the end.

Sorry, i don't believe the Astrology ...... :D

JB: Why the fall of Puntland? How does Puntland loose if the Sanaag region recognises the TFG, Somaluweyn and accepts the flag. Remmeber now even the security of Puntland is under the TFG

Why do the tfg gangs need maakhir state if it is already included in bugland ?? why the people in that region decided to leave bugland and create their own maakhir state ?? isn't that the fall of bugland ??

and what do you expect from Sool ?? ... or better say Darwiish land ??

I don't care if the people choose to join muqdisho but isn't that a bugland's failure that they are falling apart and loosing regions ??

N.O.R.F   

Those same excuses were used as the reason not to be part of Somaliland

Shall I bother searching how many times 'clan fiefdoms' etc has been thrown Somalilands way? Today Makhir is created and all is well. Its pro TFG and Somaliwyn etc etc and they all forget what they have been saying for years about SL :rolleyes:

Good luck to Maakhirians.

Oh Silly me, from Putland to Makhairland, the onion anology of shell after another shell, the deeper you go, the new shell u uncover.

Will all this make Mr.Paragon a rich man, such as a good shares in tuna factory, a private beach along the makhair coast, and vice-presidecny to oversee amuura dalka yar ee cusub, and a new gas and petrolum venture -

NASSIR   

Ngonge,

You raised great questions whose answers would even help those outside and inside with keen interest on understanding the gist of this Maakhir state. I understand , in your early discussions with Baashi, you were quite confused of the content of the alleged changing shirts striped on different colors and later convinced that the people of Maakhir state chose to sail with the Kinship boat to an uncharted circumference because of the prevailing clan consciousness.

I would think those ideas exchanged between the two of you and many others have been proven wrong many times. However, they are surprisingly accentuated so many times in the backwater of strategic interest that is believed to safeguard the stated mission of the secessionists and hoodwink the international community that the locals or clan representatives in the so called “disputed areas” are too fractured, disorganized, disloyal, and pathologically opportunists. I would honestly pronounce that these false political characterizations are misguided and have contributed to community’s underdevelopment and international isolation. Second, given the lack of central government, it becomes normal for self-appointed individuals to break ranks with their former allies out of discontent. It has been the phenomenal aspect of the personality features of the Somali clan leaders or warlords in a power struggle. It happens to “Somaliland” itself whose leaders visit Mogadisho back and forth. Consequently, when Abdirahman Tur, the founder of Somaliland, upon his conversion to the unionist camp, was denounced by Igaal and condemned to death in absentia on grounds of “seditious” activities. However, and to Igaal’s disbelief, Tuur returned to Burco and challenged him, in an overweening opinion of his power derived from the support of his clan, to capture and arrest him. You have also witnessed the famous Buubaa, the former foreign affairs minister of the TFG and his conversion from a die-hard secessionist to a zealous advocator of Somali union, a lofty evolution indeed.

The community hadn’t waited that long for the creation of Puntland to which they were part of its foundation, but they had explored prior to it other mechanisms to establish civic structures and institutions for self-governance like the Hadaftimo Conference in 1994. They relinquished that Hamiltonian plan after a decisive deliberation of its viability, which they thought will be counter productive to the creation of Puntland(at the time was contemplated in periodic meetings) You won’t believe this, but it occurred to one brilliant member of the community that Puntland be established as a countervailing balance to “Somaliland” and act as deterrence to spontaneous attacks of Aideed’s clan towards Galkacyo. Another important element that made the creation of Puntland absolutely necessary was the humiliation Abdillahi and the late Gen. Gabyo faced at the Cairo Reconciliation conference in which they were given few unimportant positions to the clan D they represented. Of course, they could not claim to be from the two main cities of Somalia: Hargeisa and Mogadisho as a source of political legitimacy to deserve better and key positions in that interim government, and so they were reported to have walked out of the conference in protest. (this is a little background).

You also alluded to Borame meeting. Before I answer this question, you have wondered why they have never revolted against the creation of Somaliland. But what is there to revolt. If revolt is armed rebellion, then it is silly to contemplate or undertake such risky measures because there is nothing to revolt in the first place. Somaliland is still lobbying hard and seeking recognition from the international community. Coming back to the chase, The elders of the Borame meeting from Maakhir and Sool disavow that treaty because they allege they signed under duress. It was in the early civil war when inter-clan hostilities and revenge were so fresh that the “signatories”’ objection to the terms of the self-declaration of independence of Somaliland would have resulted in immediate massacre. The elders claim that they went to the Borame meeting to resolve tribal problems and prevent the northern civil war from escalating contrary to Somaliland's unverified claims. Moreover, it was in 1994 that the UNISOM SPONSORED PEACE CONFERENCES recognized the old U.S.P party as the rightful representative of Sool and Sanaag regions under the chairmanship of Awad Ahmed Asharo (a TFG MP now).

The positive side has been talked about, thus I won’t parrot them.

You also talked about the negative side of this state. What if the international community refused to alter its unfair policy of neutrality as before and let these territories remain underdeveloped, resulting sometimes sluggish response of humanitarian crisis?

I think these potential challenges can be overcome if the community supports financially Maakhir in its embryonic stage and promotes the establishment of more civil society organizations, for instance, Jibril has appealed to the Diaspora recently for this endeavor. Read www.laasqoray.net/view_article.php?articleid=997

Caamir...Let me first the people of Sanaag has the right to decide their political future and are also completely within the their God-given right to exploit the resources of the region to alleviate the chronic under-development ignored for so long by competing entities. I'm all for this if people sincerely believe this is the way forward for them to achieve lasting peace and tangible progress.

My issue, and bear with me for second why the need that caused the creation of Maakhir state be addressed within existing Pland goverment. The people of Sanaag were/are the founding members of the current Puntland. They were not mere peripheral constituents used to counter the secession policy of the Hargeysa regime. They obviously see creation of the Pland as mean to advance their interests, not just way to maintain "vauled kinship". It is apparent today the interest of the Sanaag were never addressed, and I would argue the neglect hardly resides in Sanaag alone, but affects the average person in region of Pland. It is bad governance and out of control corruption that brought down Plander's aspirations. It hardly has anything with any indiffirence shown by the average Plander to Sanaag or Sool. We will be served if we challenge the system of governance rather than fragmenting the place.

Lastly, mind you it is lack of accountability that leads to the eventual fall of Somali admins. I just hope Sanaag elite not emulate their cousins in Garowe and Hargeysa.

Duke....You are comparing apples and oranges. The situation in northern Somalia is hardly comparable to the south which has endured almost decades of constant clan wars.

ElPunto   

^Well said Che. And you're absolutely right. But at the end of day - I think it's detrimental for everyone to 'force' folks who don't want to be in the project so to say. And now with this admin - there will be no one to blame for lack of progress but their self selected leaders and themselves. And judging by the initial actions - it's already started on the wrong foot. Here is a region acknowledged by everyone to suffer from neglect and lack of economic progess - yet its new leaders and administration saw fit to appropriate moneys for some 13 cabinet ministers etc[and this in first few days]. And you can bet the bureaucracy won't end there. At the end of the day - it seems, at least me, to be more of an exercise of - 'I want to eat my share of the taxes'. Time will tell.

Baashi   

Very simple development – kinda long time coming event considering Cadde’s annaga phraseology.! Awooweyaal PL is neither sacred nor immune from nomad politicking. Oh George what a brilliant fella he is. This genius, conservative thinker and columnists in the beltway btw, defines politics by reducing the term to its bare bones. Politics he says is nothing but the process in which the state is staffed and controlled. The politics he has in mind is the sophisticated mechanics that’s associated with machinery of functioning state.

From George Will’s brand of politicking, let’s take a great leap to nomadic politicking in PL. Here you have a simple clan construct that came about during the difficulty years of clannish contest. Still George Will’s observation on elementary politicking applies here. In the height of Aideed’s madness and Durriyada’s jubilee in dethroning a particular tribe as they gossip in the durriyada’s circles (they merely contributed to the collapse of the state), the Maakhiries, to borrow the new label, were part of the same marked clans that Irrirs (a name coined by Egal in effort to build a coalition against the D clans) had been trying to defeat for ages.

In this context Maakhiries took part of the deliberations that took place in Garowe where the elders of the clan groupings that reside in PL asked the hard questions of the way out of the mayhem that country descended into without compromising their position or role in post-conflict Somalia. The H clan has escaped from elimination as some on the other side of the aisles had wished (Oodweyne’s fav word the defeated-lot comes to play in this context).

Likewise, the conditions that necessitated the formation of PL have subsided to mere changing of variables (afar-jeeble). Today what preoccupies the founding clans is who gets what. Just as my fav columnist understood it, it is all about how the state (in this case admin in the enclave) is staffed and controlled.

Our Maakhiries feel that they have been overlooked (in the distribution of wealth – read that as the port income and foreign contracts)! The current crop on the top seat treats the admin as a shop “they” own. After all these are the very folks who went to SL in order to wage a war against PL. All in all, as always is the case with any tribal groupings PL waa sarifantay!

Fellaz it is that simple. I don’t know what Ngonge’s fuss is all about. The discussion he is referring to strengthens my understanding of the tribal politicking of Somalis. Wish I had more time on my hands for I would say tow or more words about Oodweyne’s lost cause. But that’s a topic for another day. Before I take off I would like to drop this much of baaruud for him and the self-proclaimed fence-sitters: Habraha armay sarifmaan oo senti taano gaaraan inta PL aysan gannigaba dhaafin!! smile.gif

[ August 15, 2007, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: Baashi ]

NASSIR   

Oodwayne, Serving intellectual justice to you and Baashi’s position, Maakhir state follows the idea of creating political units as an alternative to single national reconciliation. It is believed that creations of political units are for a decentralized, federal approach to restoring Somalia. Termed as “building blocks”, the system aims to highlight political differences (unity vs secession, self-reliant vs amalgamation, etc) Patrick Galkes in his article “Briefing Somalia” argues, “The basis for the concept of 'building blocks' is essentially the clan family.” Such basis are indeed endorsed by the International Community for rebuilding and restoring the collapsed state of Somalia. Standing Committee such as Ethiopia , Kenya and Djibouti also endorse such approach to take seed and flourish in Somalia. Therefore, I don’t understand why we have people opposed to the formation of Maakhir state whilst if truth be told the people whom it is supposed to serve suffered the most in terms of International neglect, unnecessary territorial dispute and conflict, the perpetration of division within the community and using their people as proxy by Somaliland and Puntland to influence each other’s policies. Critics of this state contend that Maakhir diminishes the regional power of Puntland as a political faction, but realistically, Maakhir has never been linked to Puntland by both Somali JNA and the United Nations’ unfair and old policy that lumped Sool and Sanaag with Somaliland. The only legitimacy Puntland seeks from this region is its persistent pursuit of political monstrosity since Abdilahi Yusuf had his eyes on Mogadisho, thus using Sool and Sanaag in the wider political context of Somalia. In this case, I would argue that Maakhir State of Somalia meets all the qualifications of “building blocs” and to form its own regional state that is independent of both Somaliland and Puntland as an alternative to the conflict between SL and PL over these hapless regions as well as the trickling effect of economic deterioration and international neglect.

Baashi, If even “controlling and staffing” is met, the region will continue to suffer since individual representatives who work outside their respective regions are prone to misplacing the priorities of the community, not to mention corruption and incompetence.

Let me quote Patrick for his summary of the theoretical concept of the ‘building blocs”.

The theoretical appeal of 'building blocks' lies in a realization

and acceptance of the fact that a simple restoration of the former unitary

Somali state is improbable for the indefinite future.

NASSIR   

Maakhir State of Somalia increases its Parliament members

Badhan:-The newly formed state of Maakhir in Sanaag and western Bari regions of Somalia announced yesterday that it was increasing its parliament members and its adding five more parliamentarians from South of Somalia’s [Maakhirites].

The parliament member is now 38 members who will represent the various sub clans of the Maakhirians.

The newly formed state did receive national welcome and still talks are going on amongst the elders of Maakhir in order to complete the cabinet and other governmental agencies.

The Diaspora of Maakhir State did issue statements in support of the newly formed state of Maakhir and advised for those who are in Maakhir to support the new government.

Maakhir State was created in response to overlapping claims of both Somaliland and Puntland over western Sanaag, which has led to several conflicts over control of the territory between Somaliland and Puntland.

There have been conferences and consultation between the inhabitants of Sanaag and western Bari region before the establishment of the new state.

Source: Laasqoray.net

Khalaf   

In this case, I would argue that Maakhir State of Somalia meets all the qualifications of “building blocs” and to form its own regional state that is independent of both Somaliland and Puntland as an alternative to the conflict between SL and PL over these hapless regions as well as the trickling effect of economic deterioration and international neglect.

I don’t buy this one bit, and let me explain why that is. In this small region there are two camps, two opposing camps, with opposing ideologies. On the one hand there are those who want to break away and form an independent country in this area of interest. On the other hand there are those who are fiercely against this move. With each camp determined to meet and defend its objectives, therefore meaning a conflict of interest I don’t see how this new state can be anything close to independent from the two entities namely PL and SL. How I see it is the Maakhir State serves only symbolic meaning and nothing else.

On the topic I agree with those who say what is needed is better goverance and accountablity of leaders, then further fragmentation of somalia's lands.

NASSIR   

Breaking News:- local sources of Maakhir are reporting a surge of troop build-up in the Jaanka village near Ceelaayo, 25km west of Bosaaso, in an attempt to counter, as it allegedly says, terrorist hideouts, but it is obvious from the recent creation of Maakhir, Puntland is intent on creating a situation where it can divert international attention to its parochial, clan-based interest. Given that fierce battles, if it ever begins, Puntland, a now self-styled administration of counter-terrorism, and Maakhir--one of the building blocs of Somalia, the effect is that Maakhir won't suffer reverses, but it would be greatly hampered by its political relationship with the world or United States and its allies. As a result, international aid projects will be aborted if (I wish it never occurs) for example, sanction is imposed on this region, which will cause international aid agencies to unfairly abandon the region due to the misleading motives of Puntland.

War Deg Deg ah Guuta Ciidamo ah oo ka tirsan Maamulka Puntland ayaa Caaw Fiid kii gaadhay meesha lagu magcaabo Jaanka ee dhinaca Bari ka soo xigta Magaalada Ceelaayo

1095.jpg

Bosaaso: Guuta ciidamo ah ayaa gaadhay meesha lagu magcaabo Jaanka, taas oo dhinaca Bari ka soo xigta magaalada Ceelaayo ee Xeebta u saacxib ah, warku waxa uu intaas ku darayaa inay Ciidamadaasi Maqribkii ay ka boqooleen magaaalada Bosaaso iyagoo ku hubaysan Gawaadhida Dagaalka kuwaas oo si deg deg ah Amar loogu siiyay inay gaadhaan goobta lagu magcaabo Jaanka oo ay Puntland ku tilmaantay inay soo gaadheen Koox wadaado ah.

Maamulka Puntland ayaa amar maanta ka soo saaray inay si deg deg ah ay ciidamo u gaadhaan halkaas iyadoo ay puntland ku andacoonayso inay goobtaas ku sugan yihiin Koox mayal adag oo oo ka soo baxsatay koonfurta Dalka Somaaliya kuwaas ay sheegeen inay khal khala galinayaa Puntland isu haysata inay goob Amaana Tahay.

Gawaadhida Dagaalka ayaa maqribkii lagu arkayay wadoonyinka magaalada Bosaaso iyadoo heegankii ugu sareeyay lagaliyay dhamaan Ciidanka Garoonka Diyaaradaha ee magaalada Bosaaso iyadoo uu Garoonku yahay halka ugu dhaw ee Puntlan shakiga wayn ka qabto in looga soo talaabo iyadoo garoonka ay baxaan wadoonyin farababadan oo aan kaanta roolayn.

War si Duur xula u soo gaadhay Shabakada LaasqorayNet ayaa tibaaxaya in ay Puntland ku ahwlo jirto inay Ciidamo Far badan soo dhoobto wadoonyinka isku xidha Magaalada Laasqoray iyo Magaalada Bosaaso taas oo ku doonayso inay kal goosyo labadaas Magaalo iyadoo shaki aad u wayn ka qabta magaalada Xeebta dheer lagu manaystay ee Laasqoray.

Arinkaa ayaa lagu tilaami karaa inay Puntland isku dayayso inay ku maja xaabiso Dismaha Deketa Laasqoray oo dhawaan la bilaabi doono iyadoo ay dhawr jeer Masuuliyiinta Puntland ku han jabeen inay aad uga xun yihiin Dekeda loo dhisayo magaalada Laasqoray taas oo ay ku tilmaameen dhabar jab ku yimi Puntland idilkeed.

LaasqorayNet/ Bosaaso

NASSIR   

On the topic I agree with those who say what is needed is better goverance and accountablity of leaders, then further fragmentation of somalia's lands. [/QB]

Who do you expect better governance and accountability from? The two regional states of Somaliland and Puntland have already fragmented Somalia, a fragmentation which appeals to clan differences to exploit political support. Saxib, these two states SL and PL are used as instruments to discredit communities and abort other people's noble pursuit of peace and development.