Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

ONLF: The glow-fly that must not mistake itself for a full moon

Abtigiis   

The happenings of these days are increasingly making me both perplexed and pessimistic. The signing ceremonies of fake and ugly peace deals, declarations of 'ground-breaking' ONLF divisions, the emergence of sponsored 'pacifists' among the community is not what worries me. All these are ephemeral daily discomforts that come and pass in a struggle.

What worries me is how a label purported to have been brought into play for the sake of allaying the fears of the powerful world, and for its practicality vis-a-vis other options is now turning into a cult belief. If the struggle of ONLF is about setting up an independent home land for the clan it represents, it is a lost cause. If it is to give the Somaligalbeed people the final say about their destiny, it is on the right track, and mistakes such as fixation with a divisive label could be forgiven, as it can not take away from the enormous sacrifices made so far.

Lately, pro-ONLF websites, political gatherings by ONLF supporters, and even social events such as marriages by members of the community are turning into ugly scenes of clan chauvinism. My heart feels a sharp pain and my eyes are filled with tears of anguish, when young men and women from the ONLF clan show me wallpapers in their phones, labels on T-shirts and souveniers which clearly display pride in such a filty entity as a clan. "Oga.denia shall be free", "Oga.denia the land of milk and honey", "Ogad.enia the beautiful people" and other innuendoes are not only false but show a sickness more than a pride.

And the websites of my Tolka are splashing photo's of old men (bitter with what the clans next door got -Puntland and Somaliland) hitting the Dhaanto floor with vengence. As if what Somaliland purports to be a sacred thing is anything more than opportunistic clan agenda. As if what Puntland is going through is not a medievial rebirth and a classic example of what some writer called 'The return of the clans'.

The ONLF struggle must aim to achieve independece for the people of Somaligalbeed. If the leadership is true to the noble cause of 'self-determination', they should not only seek the opinions of one section of the the community to be liberated. It is not secret most other non-Oga.den clans do not subscribe to the label of the struggle. It is not a secret that the founders of the Somaligalbeed struggle fought for Somalinimo and to be part of their bretherns in the East. If ONLF has other things in mind other than that, it is doomed for failure. And by all standards, it would be a dramatic profile shrinkage if an organisation launched on seeking the rights of the people of Somaligalbeed settles to fighting for the rights of its clan.

The ONLF struggle might achieve any of its objectives or might not. But what should not come out of its otherwise courageous struggle is a brain-washed generation who do not shy away from open tribalism, because they genuinely believe they are patriots. If ONLF can get rid of its brand, it is a big gain. If it can't, for whatever reason, it must ensure the youth are told who they are (Somali), and who they are not ( rer-hebel). That is if they the leaders, themselves, are genuine somali nationalists.

Otherwise, the ONLF struggle will only produce a result that is similar to the SNM one. It will produce a somali-hating, clan-worshipping new generation.

ONLF is a glow-fly, never a full moon. A glow-fly, however bright, however shining must not should not mistake itself for a full moon. ONLF should make its followers see the full moon, which is Somalinimo. This clan hyteria among the young must be challenged and stopped. We know the old is infected, but the children should be saved. And this wile of hiding behind freedom-fighters mantra, while promoting clan disharmony and division must be challenged.

NGONGE   

^^ What is a "Somali nationalist"?

I am asking you and not the dreamers that hail from Somalia and hark back to a bygone age. In your case, there is no bygone age, so what is this idea of a "Somali nationalist" that you seem to have and will the rest of Somalia allow you to become one?

Abti,

You mad a very good analysis. If the Liberation Front cant rebrand itself as an inclusive 'all' Somali liberation front , then it is doomed to fail. If it's stays true to its political goal, liberation for all Somali people under Ethiopian occupation and changing its name from O to S, then I will fight tomorrow those Xabashi's with my Somali brother.

I belief the same goes for Somaliland and Puntland. Irrelevant of their political agenda(liberation(ONLF), federation(Puntland) or Indepedence(Somaliland)), it can only be achieved by being inclusive and gaining broad support from all citizen in their territory. Otherwise their political agenda is doomed to fail.

Because when the poupulation is not convinced it's easy for outsiders to divide and rule.

Many on SOL fail to understand that polarizing with your political objective wont help you achieving your political goal.

-Somaliland's goal for indepedance started out in 1991 with broad political support(all clan leaders) but it failed to materialize and gain this support under a broad sextion of society and the support crumbled to mainly the western part of Somaliland. Hence no recongnition. Instead of travelling to western countries and asking them for recongnition. Somaliland people should go and start a dialogue and negotiotating with people in Badhan, Dhahar, Las Anod, etc. And first get recongnition for its political goal by a broad section of society. And convince the somali people how Indepedance might serve ALL people and will bring unity closer.

-Puntland's goal to be one of the main building blocks of a Federal Somalia started out with big support of the political and tradional leaders in 1998. And they failed to gain the support under a broad section of society. proof: SSC, Maakhir, Atom, etc. Puntland leader should not run to Moqadishu to claim chairs because they represent Puntland, they should first get real support of the people they are pretenting to represent. And define who those people are. Does everyone have a say in Puntland or only the trinity sub-clan.

-The same goes for liberation of Western-Somali which once had big support under the whole population in that region. But as it has become a one clan endevour, the support fails to materialize under the whole population and then the political goal becomes much more difficult to reach. ONLF could start with changing it's name to gain broader support and to proof that its objective is bigger then that of one clan.

Abtigiis   

It is hard to explain to a born-again Somalilander, whose history of Somalia and Somalinimo starts from the days children in Hargeisa started throwing stones at Faqa.sh soldiers. But I will oblige your question and address it briefly.

A Somali nationalist is someone who sees himself as a somali first, and as a Somali second. It is not someone who thinks what is happening in Muqdisho is a world away from what is happening in Garowe, in Hargeisa, or Garissa. It is someone for whom the boundaries melt when it comes to the pains a Somali is under-going is concerned. It is someone who could emphatise with the SNM when their community were under oppression, but say no to their expansionist and hegemonic moves in SSC when they try to use victim-mentality to victimize others.

For now, this thread is about changing what I see as a dangerous trend among ONLF-ites. It is a call for change of direction.

Chief Caqil,

I can prove to you that rebranding the ONLF will not change much in terms of support from other clans in the region. I have discussed this at length in the past. I am familiar to what is happening on the ground. But it will serve other purposes, such as undressing the falsehoods of those who fear struggle and use ONLF shortcomings as a cover for their cowardice. But that is another discussion which I may elaborate on at one point.

nuune   

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

dhanxiir.jpg

JB, howz is that a labawajiile if AT&T is campaigning for a change within the organization, or to change its current direction!

or maybe JB you were referring to this Chief Caaqil who has name-disorder syndrome :D , now I know what you meant by that picture smile.gif

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tusbax:

For now, this thread is about changing what I see as a dangerous trend among ONLF-ites. It is a call for change of direction.

Abti, I Support this call for change of direction.

I have some suggestion:

1. Changing the name of ONLF and also the name which we want to call the region. Abti, if example my city is Harta Sheeck and the region is called Hawd. Why would I fight to call my region ******ia?

2. Start dialogue with community leaders in the region. And try to convinve that you have the tribal issue's between the tribes and the overall political destiny of the region. Otherwise people keep associating every action by an ****** person with that of the ONLF.

3. Unity within the tribe. Abti, as long as my brother is in Jigjiga and is undermining all my efforts nothing will work. So start to create unity in the family.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tusbax:

It is hard to explain to a born-again Somalilander, whose history of Somalia and Somalinimo starts from the days children in Hargeisa started throwing stones at Faqa.sh soldiers. But I will oblige your question and address it briefly.

A Somali nationalist is someone who sees himself as a somali first, and as a Somali second. It is not someone who thinks what is happening in Muqdisho is a world away from what is happening in Garowe, in Hargeisa, or Garissa. It is someone for whom the boundaries melt when it comes to the pains a Somali is under-going is concerned. It is someone who could emphatise with the SNM when their community were under oppression, but say no to their expansionist and hegemonic moves in SSC when they try to use victim-mentality to victimize others.

Chief Caqil,

I can prove to you that rebranding the ONLF will not change much in terms of support from other clans in the region. I have discussed this at length in the past. I am familiar to what is happening on the ground. But it will serve other purposes, such as undressing the falsehoods of those who fear struggle and use ONLF shortcomings as a cover for their cowardice. But that is another discussion which I may elaborate on at one point.

All good and well. Now can you answer the question I asked you please. :D

N.O.R.F   

In addition, please state how you believe the struggle will be won (reunification with Somalia). Your answer should take into account the current situation in Somalia and the disunity among Somalis.

The Zack   

Abtigiis, if that is what it takes to get freedom from the Xabashi occupations so be it sxb. I will be honest to you, freeing that region is the most important thing for now. Making sure it joins the rest of Somalia is NOT the priority.

Abtigiis   

No, dear oodweyne.

All I am saying is that ONLF's struggle must be about Somalinimo. And to the extent the stated objective is self-determination (which is in its charter) to a geographically-defined population, it is incorrect to say it set out to free a particular clan.

The difference between the ONLF and the SNM struggle is also that one's end objective have been realised and is not a matter up for conjecture, while the other's is yet to be seen. But I agree if what I am decrying here is not corrected, the results could be identical. SNM's struggle was genuine, as it was fought on behalf of genuine grieviences and opporession. But it was also true that it transformed along the way, from a justifiable resistance to oppression to a rallying call for clan chauvinism and revenge. It resulted in the production of a dangerously narrow-minded generation whose horizon doesn't transcend beyond 'struggle' ethos. Who fail to see that you cannot be conflict enterprenuers forever, gleefully waiting the final breath to go out of the atrophied boby of the brothers in the South.

And yes, we realise seeking the nobler Somalinimo ideal doesn't sit with the wolves who are devouring on it. We know you would love to see the proliferation of clan-entities, so that you could find a morally acceptable justification for the pervert habit of isolating yourself from your roots. As to you as Oodweyne, one piece of advice is to stop peddling the Somaliland recognition issue as an outstanding issue. I don't know any forum where this has been stated, except what zealots write on websites. You cannot take yourself as politically outstanding for branding a non-existent issue as an outstanding.

Somalinimo is broader and morally a better ideal to defend than clanish segregation. So, if I am calling for that, you must loud it. Or you must hide in shame and stop putting lipstick on an ugly vision of a clan.

NGONGE   

^^ You still didn't answer my question, saaxib. Somalnimo this and Somalnimo that is not really an answer. The French speaking cafars are doing very well without the need for this phantom Somalnimo (nor are they isolated from Somalis). So why are you (someone who is claiming to be oppressed by the Xabashis and who has been fighting to free himself from them for a long time) choosing to go down the Somalnimo root?

More questions:

What is the big prize?

How would you convince your fellow fighters that joining those who sold you out and handed your brothers to the enemy is the right thing to do?

Why do you assume that your hard won freedom (when it comes) will be maintained by joining Somalia?

Is it worth the effort? WHY?

War wax la kaalay dee.

Haatu   

As far as I see it, Soomaalinimo is a substitute for the "clan". It is what you say when someone asks you, "yaa tahey" and you reply with "Soomaali". It is loving for your fellow Somalis what you love for yourself.

As for the topic, what you have to understand is the root of the problem is men going from continent to continent preaching Og'nimo, not Soomaalinimo. The other source of the problem is the name. What will the children learn when their parents say to them "Og'nia baanu aadeynaa", "Og'nia baanu ka nimi" etc. It is this preaching of Og'nimo just as P'landnimo and Somalilandnimo is preached in neighbouring regions, which is the cause for the loss of the understanding of Soomaalinimo.