Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

The future of Burranbur Dance

Modesty   

Asalaamu Alaykum,

I used to like to watch the Burranbur dances whenever I attended weddings, but the day I started to "TRY" to jump around to the beat of the drum...I got booed by the habro and older women, because I didn't know how to dance the burranbur.How is the future of Burranbur going to turn out to be, if the older ladies don't allow us to practice it at the wedding parties. Well, for me I already gave up trying to learn that dance, maybe I'm too petite to jump like that...huuum, I dunno but I hope this dance doesn't vanish because it is one of the greatest dances in our culture.

nuune   

modesty,lol,fiiri,try saar or dhaanto,the old ladies think they r masters,yet they r not playing the buraanbur,how horrible,do they not play dhaanto in the weddings,so far i haven't seen,well i have been playing dhaanto on some weddings in kenya while i went there for a holiday break,i don't know much about the saar,u know kuwa saarka ciyaara khaasatan nimanka markay marqaamaan gacmaha ayey toori ama middi iskaga jeexaan,maba dareemaayaan xanuun because of the marqaan,i wanna try that if i go back 2 africa!

any guys who play dhaanto,iam very sure some of the nomad guys do play dhaanto like OG-MOTI,jamaal,lefty,haaruun,MMA.

Asalaamu'alaykum...

Modesty

i feel ya sista. man i love that dance as well. its like the most entertaining part of the wedding i'd say. i dont know about where your from lakiin down here in kangaroo land the younger girls are getting in to it, and masha'allah i gotta give it up to them they are pretty good, so we still got hope for our buraanbur here. i think all you have to do is practise it, then when you go to a wedding you can suprise all the iislaamo with your killer buraanbur :D . get a couple of the girls around and just have fun trying it out.

as for me, i'm a woman of action and i cant help but jump in when i go to weddings. i'm not too bad, especially for someone who who lived in australia her whole life. but i still look at some of the older women and say damn... i wish i could do it like dat.

dont give up my girl, i've seen petite sisters who got game. practise makes perfect :cool:

Walaykum salaam wr wb

Xafsa   

I feel you modesty...I can't dance to baraanbur to save my life!! Come to think of it...I don't know any somali dances....thats a shame walaahi!!

MaLikah   

I do kinda miss watchin Buranbur dances-it's been ages since I've seen one. With everyone havin their "western" weddings, I don't think it's too long before it dies out. I vividly remember the one time I was brave and jumped in, I wasn't too shabby, if I do say so myself, but that was the end of my Buranbur career lol.

Blessed   

I hear you sis. The islamos can be hard core about t at times. Laakin, there are on or two sweet ones that are prepared to pass on the tradtion, I always found that when you give the hooyos a 'lets preserv our dhaqan talk' - they would bend their backs for ya. Just ask around and you'll find a teacher.

Also, watch out for 'freshy' sisters, those that just come from Somalia- I learnt so muc Somali somgs and dance moves from some new kids on my block...Even, local communities are prepared to pay for a tutor if there is demand for it.

if you don't ask you won't get, na mean sis.

A7LA-SHU   

burranbur ku laha? home girl u okay? no way in hell would i ever wanna dance that weird thing.. are u like bored or something? coz that dance is one hell of a killer. i get headache watchin it. and when i go to weddings lets just say my Cell phone comes handy coz i call anyone to keep me busy talkin.. the only time i had to sit n watch the whole sh!t was my sister shash saar.. and i came home 4am that day with BIG head. so no thanksss... sorry if i sound rude but that is the last dance in my list to wanna learn.. but i kinda like dhanto plus it is easy.. :D

but good luck thou...

Blessed   

^^^ come on gal, you need to expand your dancabulary. I just love dances from around the wolrd and buraanbur is pretty cool. I always wonder how they (older ladies) can move and jump around so much - considering most of the Islamos (no pun intended) can't even run for the bus :eek: :eek:

It think its cool, we can maybe modernise it. I dunno, may be do 'the bounce' or makeup a freestyle routin - but you know you is gonna feel ****** when you reach forty... and you can't dance 2 ur traditional or any of the late grooves the yout dem will come out with icon_razz.gif

did i just write the word 'grooves' :eek: :confused:

Juxa   

kkkkkkkkkkk Ameenah,,,u had me stitches

i dont know where u guyz are but down here living next to the queen,,,,,i mean london there are practically every weekend a wedding,,,,so plently of places to practice.

i dont know buraanbur, but my mom is a fine jumper, i always wonder how she manages kkkkk. i used to be good at niiko,,,,,but then i lost my shubby (fat)**** somewhere along the way, now i can shake it,,,,but there aint many waves going ;)

seriously girls,,,,it is our duty to keep the tradition going and to pass on to our daughters, so let the gurbaan beat.

hey,,,,girls...why dont we all get together,,,and practice, buraanbur, niiko....and that funny stuff that nuune was talking about,,,

i mean..if the old ladies gonna laugh at us, we might as well, laugh at eachother,,,and latter go there as a group...beat them at thier own game...like the sister Ameenah said ...lets re-invent it!!!!

by the way, i like the way they put the shalmad (scarf part of the diraac) on their heads and they clap and bang their feet to the rythem of the drums....damn they good!

Raxmah   

^^^ silent sis great idea, we should all be practicing to keep this tradition going, but I will jist watch cause there is no way I will be jumping around to beat of drum, but I dont mind watching.

Gediid   

Hey ladies that sounds like a great idea but yall gonna need a Choreographer and back in the day my services were invaluable to the great Buraanbuur dancers such as Amino Boodo,Ismaahan wareejiso and their likes.Just drop me a line when and where this is gonna take place and I will be there. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

loooool i remembered the first time i did this dance...it was couple of years ago at my friend's wedding...I was pushed in and i didn't know a damn thing...all the ladies just laughed they couldn't even play the drum anymore, cause they were laughing so hard...my sister said i danced like native indians...But it was the most memorable thing of the whole wedding, so i wasn't that upset...Although i vowed i would how to do this dance if it killed me...So i asked my aunts who showed me for one day how to do it...2 things i learned: 1. it's more shoulder work than foot work, 2. it's an attitude dance...If u get those two and u have a rythem it shouldn't be hard to know...Best of luck...bee bye

p.s. although i like the style of this dance, I don't like that they mention stuffs about "qabiils"

Gediid   

Scorpion get the gang together ,no more bouts of laughter from the oldies.Move over Amino Boodo n Ismahan Wareejiso, there is a new breed in town now.