Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

US forces rescue captive from Pirates in bloody showdown.

They had it coming, I knew they were dead men walking. What a sad story but they were prepared for death or glory. Let other know the same faith awaits them.

Paragon   

Norf, I guess one can take the high view and judge them so. But have you heard of the more than 100 thousand dead fish that had washed up on Somali shores some years ago? The sealed toxic tanks shoring up too? Or the many members of known family members meeting their death horribly after depleting sicknesses? Not to mention the Somali babies who are to this day being born with weird deformities.

So I guess if you use this information you might understand where the stance of pro-'pirate' some hold is coming from. I am too, after all, pro pirate in some principle. But I also acknowledge the risks to life involved in undertaking such hijacking and endangering others. It's not a clear cut issue, if you ask me.

PS: BTW, the rosy romanticization of piracy is a western phenomenon - it's not ours Somalis. :D

Firstly, Allaha u naxariisto. This is the price to pay. They must have known all the risks and consequences associate with these piracy activities. A lucrative business (activity) for any young man in that region. It is like why I wouldn't do this if all my friends and their friends had already done it and drivng in all those flashy cars and with lots of money.

..all in all apart from taking the coast guard job to that extreme level I support these guys and they doing great job for us by scaring away all those sea monsters. God bless them all.

NASSIR   

They knew the risk, but killing them will set a severe backlash for future hostage crisis situation.

The pirates had been noble in three primary places compared to the old Carribean pirates and New York when it came a haven for pirates in 1720s.

Despite the pro-pirate justifications by some of our people due to the illegal fishing and toxic dumpings widely reported by the international media, these young boys need to be preached of the consequences of their actions, stop them inland by any means possible and rehab them.

Of the three (3) distinctions,

1. The Somali pirates treat their hostages in a humane manner, often with great hospitality - a cultural trait common to the Arab Bedouins.

2. They never used to loot or expropriate valuable carriages and products at raw and finished stage.

3. And they hardly attempted to change the ownership and flag of these merchant ships.

If force is applied as a solution by the European powers, will it be sustainable to work or must there be an alternative solution, that's creating a viable government in Somalia?

N.O.R.F   

LST and Paragon,

There is no joy in hearing such news saxibayaal. It is sad and tragic. But they knew what they were getting themselves into. To me these Pirates are criminals. They are no different to your local bank robber or stick up kid. All the talk about toxic waste and fishing vessels swallowing up all the fish in the region are acknowledged BUT hijacking cargo ships by no means tackles those problems or justifies their actions and is by no means noble. It is low down dirty tuugnimo! At gun point I might add.

If they were doing it to a ship dumping toxic waste or pillaging the local fish supplies fine, but they are not!

Their deaths have come about due to the sympathy and support shown by Somalis. If these boys were told this is wrong from the start then they may have stayed ashore.

^^^Adeer the ship was captured in Somali waters.

They never killed anyone though they could.

They were in negotiation and then they were killed. Also lets not buy into Holywood storylines from CNN and Co, specially on Easter Sunday of all days.

This is a sad tale, piracy is wrong, but until a Somali navy taks to the sea it will only get stronger.

N.O.R.F   

1. Wether the ship was in Somali waters or not is irrelevent. It was a CARGO ship and not a TOXIC DUMPING SHIP. Know the difference? Still, it was caught 200 nautical miles offshore. Is that Somali water?

2. They never killed anyone? What does that have to do with anything. You put a gun to someone's and expect not to be shot back at?

3. They thought they were in negotiation. The man escaped a second time and the US navy made sure they took their chance this time around.

^^^Norf adeer as usual you talk, how do you know what the Cargo it was carrying and all the information you are providing us we already get from Hollywood saxib.

The point here is the Pirates or locals from Lower Mudug in this instances were gunned down, they could have been arrested but were not. Its all a show as for these ships, all of them should get a different route, Somalia is no longer safe.

You of all the fake Mujahids should have appreciated their valour and courage, as you do the suicide bombers of Mogadishu..

[ April 13, 2009, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Libaax-Sankataabte ]