Sign in to follow this  
Intuition

The worth of a women

A Debate

Mufti sat next to a Reverend on a flight.

The Rev asked the Mufti, What is your occupation?

Mufti: I'm into big business

Rev: But what business exactly?

Mufti: I deal with God

Rev: Ah, so you're a Muslim religious leader. I have one problem with

you Muslims: you oppress your women.

Mufti: How do we oppress women?

Rev: You make your women cover up completely and you keep them in the

homes.

Mufti: Ah. I have a problem with you people: you oppress MONEY.

Rev: What? How can one oppress money?

Mufti: You keep your money hidden away, in wallets, banks and safes..

You keep it covered up. Why don't you display it in public if it's a

beautiful thing?

Rev: It will get stolen, obviously.

Mufti: You keep your money hidden because it is so valuable. We value

the true worth of women far, far more. Therefore, these precious

jewels are not on display to one and all. They are kept in honour and dignity....

winnie   

i dont like these analogies. i find them offensive and incomplete. i see the point though, your appealing to our vanity. :rolleyes:

J.Lee   

How was this one (in particular) offensive and incomplete?

Mida Kale if you hate these types of analogies, how will you know a complete one (whatever that means) when you come across it?

The anology is cute but i find it offensive because I'm sick of being compared to materials. The best one I heard though was,'women are like diamonds, these precious stones get rusty when displayed." I love diomands but I hate the idea of being described as a possession that needs to be kept guarded. feel me?

winnie   

Originally posted by J.Lee:

How was this one (in particular) offensive and incomplete?

Mida Kale if you hate these types of analogies, how will you know a complete one (whatever that means) when you come across it?

its incomplete because the analogy really isnt fitting and doesnt explain why we wear the hijab. its offensive because it compares women to an inanimate object that people use on a daily basis, and because it is an object (no brain) has no say in the matter. we dont wear the hijab because its pleasing to the men in our lives but because it pleases Allah, swt. the hijab alone doesnt increase our value (hindus cover too) but combined with taqwa it does. this analogy leads people to believe otherwise.

Tuujiye   

its incomplete because the analogy really isnt fitting and doesnt explain why we wear the hijab. its offensive because it compares women to an inanimate object that people use on a daily basis, and because it is an object (no brain) has no say in the matter. we dont wear the hijab because its pleasing to the men in our lives but because it pleases Allah, swt. the hijab alone doesnt increase our value (hindus cover too) but combined with taqwa it does. this analogy leads people to believe otherwise.

Maasha allah....

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Modesty   

Chocolate wrote

The anology is cute but i find it offensive because I'm sick of being compared to materials.

I know the feeling, sometimes it can make you feel like even though they mean well (muftis or whoever) they make you seem like you can't go outside b/c your diamonds might get rusty or your gold might get stolen ...I'm guessing he means get raped. But the reality is women are used like objects in the west that says that women are free. If men and women are equal, why is it that when you see a guy and a girl jogging, the guy is usually covered up but the girl has to wear extra short shorts...why is it that women are exposing their awrah and men are covered up? I don't think that's equality. Society has made women think that in order to get accepted by men you have to bare it all. In fact, women who expose their awrah in mini skirts are seen as 'strong and confident' women. Cajiib.

J.Lee   

He isn't equating the worth of women with money:

Mufti: You keep your money hidden because it is so valuable. We value the true worth of women far, far more.

he is rather using such an example as a relatable comparison ina adeer because apparently there isn't anything [that they hold/cherish: who ever THEY are] of like value.

We are living in an era were objects are held in high esteem in place of iska daa haweynka but human life in general.

The analogy fits; but to each his own and his interpretation.

in my opinion the main subjective aim behind the analogy is not like women is compared to an object, it defines how hijab and staying at home adds a value into muslim women's living-style or dignity ..

They are kept in honour and dignity

yep they been honoured and have strong dignity when she covers her body and stays at home