Sign in to follow this  
Viking

Women 'get blame for being raped'

SeeKer   

Boy when you guys get a hold of one side of the bone you really don't let go do you? :D

I got the stats from http://www.paralumun.com/issuesrapestats.htm. Looking back they are not current so I went to look for more current statistics. NVAW (National Violence Against Women) survey was the most comprehensive I could find but there was no record of it online except by mention in this article: http://www.nvaw.org/research/sa.shtml

Now just to appease y'all and to make it simple let me break down what I said in simple terms (for the last time I hope) with the stats.

21.6% of first or only rape cases experienced by women happened before age 12.

32.4% of such cases happened between the ages of 12 and 17.

29.4% happened between the ages of 18 and 24.

16.6% happened at age 25 or greater.

The last two were the brunt of my arguement for the others are helpless

The NVAW survey used different categories for victim-perpetrator relationships but reported similar findings with respect to the types of perpetrators most prevalent in rape cases occurring after age of 18.

76% of perpetrators were intimate partners (i.e.current and former spouses cohabiting partners,dates, and boyfriends/girlfriends).

16.8% were acquaintances.

14.1% were strangers.

8.6% were relatives other than spouses.

I hope this gives you a foot hold for future arguements :D

I NEVER said rape occured primarily from strangers I just provided statistics for it. (reread my posts if you are unsure) With the stats I had, the difference was negligible, thus I didn't see the merit of arguing who performed the heinous act.

My point was that some things are within our control as women and therefore we should not be quick to don the victim cloak. We should try to take preventative measures i.e. not walk alone, not drink, not dress provocative etc. On a side note I am sure for most female students they heard this pep talk in their freshman year orientation if you lived on campus .So people stop reading my words out of context cause otherwise I might just retract my contract with Castro and subject some of you to a never-ending arguement ;)

PS:- Sowwie Viks for taking your thread down a different route. Can y'all go back to giving your thoughts on the subject :cool:

Raxmah   

Really not surprised by the reactions of these people, besides why make a high priority agenda because it mainly effects women. :mad: :mad:

Seeker-

No woman asks/deserves to be raped whether drunk or practically naked.

SeeKer   

^^^ I never was a good actor sxb. :D

Raxmah for your peace of mind I agree noh. If I stand in the middle of the street I should not be run down by a cabby.If I go walk around in Compton I should wear red. Putting yourself in a position of danger shouldn't mean you can't still exercise your right as a victim :rolleyes:

Castro   

Ok. The cease fire is over. Seeker, do you honestly believe women who are raped have a role in it? Or are you just pulling our legs here?

The stats you provided say nothing of the culpability of women in rape. Nothing. No where does it say x% were wearing low cut jeans and y% were wearing hip high mini skirts. This is your claim altogether and you've made no attempt in supporting it except blow smoke in our faces. What you did, instead, is use anecdotal evidence and heresy. Your argument, had it used religion and the wear of hijab and loose fitting clothing to deter a rapist might hold some water for you are then able to provide references in the hadith and the Quran. So far, I'm inclined to reject your claim in its entirety until such time you resubmit with something more than just a ruse.

SeeKer   

Seriously maybe simpleton english would work in this case :rolleyes: Advocating preventation (what I am doing) is not the same as saying "women who are raped have a role in it"(what you are interpreting). Now stop the arguement. I don't think I have to point you to the Quran because somethings are obvious and should not be spoonfeed to certain people. :D

PS:- Who knows If I am doing this for the sake of playing the devil's advocate or for some other reason.

^^^ just a quick question if 90% of rapes occur when at least one of them is drunk, Do you think a man who is drunk will notice her dress or looks or actions? she could be horrible to look at but coz his drunkness she looks fantastic!

And where a drunken female is raped the attacker is taking advantage of her state of unconsciousness! dont you think?

Cheers

Cara.   

To bolster Castro's argument that what the woman is wearing is irrelevant, I recall a study was done in which rapists were asked what their victims were wearing. The majority of them could not remember, which weakens the argument that the rapists target a woman because of her clothing or behavior. Instead, what most rapists are looking for is vulnerability, both physical and psychological.

Seeker, do you think the gang-rapes of Kosovar women by Serbian men could have been due to how provocatively the women were dressed? How about in Bosnia or Rwanda?

Castro also pointed out an interesting point about the possible evolutionary advantage of males raping women they otherwise could not have sex with consensually. There was actually a book written by a couple of evolutionary psychologists that argues that point. One line of evidence for this is the attitudes of people towards the rape victim depending on her age: it's seen as more of a tragedy if the woman is of reproductive age rather than too old. There is also the suggestion that a young woman is more traumatized following rape than a postmenopausal woman. There are many holes in the theory: most rapists are married, and presumably able to pass on their genes legitimately, and a male victim of rape by another male is probably the most traumatized individual imaginable contrary to what the theory would predict, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Nephissa   

There's a rape device being used in South Africa, not likely to be available in North America..And it is no joke and is desperately needed or at least something to protect against the amount of rape that happens there..

Read all about it

I am sure the product is safely tested and put out there but what do they call it??

"The Black & Decker Pecker Wrecker?

Viking   

A rape victim once wished for teeth "where it mattered". Now a device has been designed to "bite" a rapist's penis. The patented device looks and is worn like a tampon, but it is hollow and attaches itself with tiny hooks to a man's penis during penetration.

An accessory to be worn during nights out for the coquettish mini-skirt wearing, binge-drinking females?

I remember a rape case in Italy that was thrown out of court because the judge felt that the jeans the woman was wearing were tight and that it would have been impossible for the perpetrator to remove them without help (from the victim).Outrage at 'jeans alibi' verdict.

Castro   

^ The whole argument with the dress boils down to making every man seem like a rapist in the wait. Depending on how Xalimo is dressed today, Faarax will then decide to either rape her or wait for her to wear a more provocative dress. Please. Where do you guys get these arguments from?

There is no accounting for perversion. Reminds me of the time when I was approached by a sleaze-bag while reading a book innocently under a tree on a beach. There were half-naked women around. Said perve decides he'll approach the one woman covered up to the max in the heat reading a book.

U vant make sex with me?

I was reading Brick Lane. I looked him straight in the eye and said very loudly : GO AWAY. When he refused to budge, I bellowed: NOOOOOOWWWWW!

He jumped back like he'd been hit by a sonic boom and hopped away to watch me from a safer distance.

Not quite intended rape- he did ask. But just goes to show, whatever u look like(awful that day), whatever u wear, there's a pervert who'll see past it into and under your skirt.

Viking   

Originally posted by Castro:

^ The whole argument with the dress boils down to making every man seem like a rapist in the wait. Depending on how Xalimo is dressed today, Faarax will then decide to either rape her or wait for her to wear a more provocative dress. Please. Where do you guys get these arguments from?

Castro,

The article says... "The Amnesty International poll of 1,000 people also found over 25% believe she is at least partly to blame if she has worn revealing clothing or been drunk." This doesn't necessarily mean that a woman will be raped if she dresses provocatively or is drunk but that she is partly to blame because she has made herself a target for the perverted sickos out there.

There's a govt run advert running in the UK where people are told not to make themselves targets for mobile phone thieves by i.e. placing their phones visibly in pubs or making calls in dark alleys (with the phones glowing in the dark, attracting attention from criminals). This doesn't mean that there are people constantly ready to pounce on your phone but are mere precautions to minimise the risk of a robbery/theft; just as you would avoid counting large bills in a dodgy neighbourhood.

sheh,

There are probably a million other occassions where the perverts avoided you and went on to harass other women who were dressed provocatively, but you wouldn't know.

O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful. (33:59)

Hijab is not a 100% guarantee that you will never be approached by a pervert, but it sends a clear message.

Castro   

Originally posted by Viking:

This doesn't necessarily mean that a woman will be raped if she dresses provocatively or is drunk but that she is partly to blame because she has made herself a target for the perverted sickos out there.

So what would be an appropriate percentage of the culpability a woman may have? 1%? 5%? 50%? Does it depend on how revealing the dress? The blood-alcohol content? I'm trying to pin down the cause and effect relationship here. smile.gif

NGONGE   

To expand on one of Ms Dworkin’s theories, every single one of us is a potential rapist.

It’s not an issue of clothes and dresses (though one might, convolutedly argue that case). It’s an issue of morality.

Castro’s mention of animals is so apt in this case. Rape is an animalistic pursuit. When humans (men and women) engage in it, they do because they’ve regressed to the level of animals.

What stops you from raping your pretty next-door neighbour (male, female or in-between)? Are you afraid of the law? Is it because your faith TELLS you so? Is it because rape is wrong? Why? What makes rape different to sex? Ever actually think of the difference or even of the mechanics of rape?

I’m of the view (one that is not backed up by any statistics whatsoever) that the vast majority of men and women, under the right (or rather wrong) circumstances and with a clear way out, will easily commit rape!

As for the paraphernalia of clothes and dresses being the reason for rape, I’d argue that a hungry shark would still attack you whether you were bleeding or not. Granted, the blood might attract his attention to YOU but, what with it being a shark and being hungry it would have been on the look out for a victim anyway.

Do you think you could commit rape (and this question is not only for the boys)? If not, why not?