Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Condoms... what do you think?

salam folks

theres a french sayin and it goes like this "mieux faut prevenir que guerrir" meaning its better to prevent than to heal, condoms i believe will incite sex ofcourse it does...banning it wouldnt help a great deal either. ABSTINENCE is the way to go, we shall educate our own, about ways we see fit in conjunction with islam..the west believes this "RACIST NOTION THAT OTHER PEOPLE CANT FIND SOLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS"

how ignorant of u rudy to assume if one talks about islam therefore he/she pretending to be a scholar?

try me "Coz you all sound like the ignorant self-righteous so called Islamic scholars I have encountered in Puntland".

my friend first of all i find u insulting second of all whats ignorant is ur notion thats if someone talks about religion they automaticaly self righteous scholars . one does not need to be a scholar to believe in islam LIES SOLUTIONS TO OUR PROBLEMS. am no scholar dont even pray wil someday insha allah

"hypocrisy is the only evil that walks invisible except to ALLAH alone"

Pucca   

The condoms arent just a method of protection against STDs, its used as birth control and lord knows people back home need to cut back on producing so many children. You got one woman producing ten children! then they complain bout how they aint got enough food for their children :confused:

InnalHamdulillahh…wa salamu alaykum wa rahmatullah

What is the purpose of Condoms…to have sex in order not to breed and to have sex so that one does not acquire sexual transmitted diseases....? In our beloved Religion we are encouraged to have many children…as our Nabi SaaS..said have lots of children cause I will compete with other prophets regarding followers…also he said the best women among you is the one who safeguards her husband’s property and bear lots kid. If you fear you can not support a big family. Fear Not… For Allah said “don’t kill your children due to poverty surely it is he who provides”. By Allah if u desire to eliminate Aids…then refrain from open illicit sex…if u desire to not have kids then practice abstinence. Condoms are a device used by the shayateen (devils) to stimulate the desires of the people to commit more Zina. Have you not witnessed the trails condoms left behind in the kafir land? Have u not seen the destruction Condoms have brought upon its recipients. Have they reduced the Aids epidemic…its still rampant! No doubt Condoms only encourage people to have more sex…they believe it’s Holy protection… but in the end they say Holy Sh..T. Islam is the cure and medicine to our problems…it’s just a matter of applying it. Walilhamd!

lol all i can say about the condom thing is dont use it unless you are married and dont wanna have kids but if u think about condom when u are not married i think u are thinking about going to hell lol so thats all i can say guyz. and i belive there are alot of way not using condom if the woman wanna protect her self from the sperms i guess we all grown up in here so anwyayz thats all i can say macsalama.

NGONGE   

"and i belive there are alot of way not using condom if the woman wanna protect her self from the sperms i guess we all grown up in here so anwyayz thats all i can say macsalama."

I wonder what those "other" ways are?

As for this debate about the use of condoms amongst Somalis, I think it’s been covered from the religious point of view by many posters above. But, how about the practical, day-to-day, point of view?

The point that many of you are making is that many Somalis who take part in sex outside marriage are ignorant of their religious duties and need education on that front. But, if they’re ignorant on that side, are they not also ignorant on the proper use of condoms? Do they actually get presentations on the correct way of using those things or is it just a public relations exercise showing that the West/Aid Agencies/Somali governments are doing their best to combat AIDS?

Although I don’t agree with the use of condoms, I think those opposing the idea are not doing enough to prove their case. They need to take the initiative and start educating the Somali population on the subject. To turn it into a West versus East debate does not help anybody.

I second NGONGE, well said.

Here we ‘re, condemning the west for introducing condoms to people back home!!! Don’t you think the criticism is upon us, for not providing practical help and coming up with initiatives to educate our people, without the need for condoms?

Has anyone of you returned back to our homeland recently? If so, have you noticed the amount of unwanted children as they were born outside marriage? How many young girls are beaten up because they fell pregnant outside marriage? We are talking about girls as young as 12.

I went back last year and an incident made me ask questions out of curiosity. There was a newborn baby dumped at a pharmacy doorstep, near the place where I was staying, however, no one seemed surprised. Naturally I asked the question, does this happen often? I was told yes, and babies are taken to the hospital or “odhfana”, where they receive very little care and support.

I reckon we should make contributions to our homeland by educating those less fortunate, before we can criticise the west.

king_450   

Unless you are in a mutually monogamous and you are sure that you are not having sex with anyone else,then no need to worry about usage of condoms.But my god we know somalis in the 21st century we are not talking here about your mom and dad,gr8 parents ,earlier generation we are talking here about the new kids ,you know who are b/w 2 cultures.There is no good method that will prevent STD 100%,and if you are sexually active it is not only wiser to use Condoms,it is your birth right to be safe.Even usage of condoms are not 100% sure to prevent STD. So if you can't wait to have sex till you get married,then try anything that will decrease the chances of getting transmitted diseases.

I beleive i have already had my sy just wanted to add this peice of information I saw on Condoms.

Study Says Condoms Contain Cancer-Causing Substance

Fri May 28, 2004 12:09 PM ET

BERLIN (Reuters) - Most condoms contain a cancer-causing chemical and their

manufacture should be subject to greater quality control, a German

scientific research institute said Friday.

The Chemical and Veterinary Investigation Institute in Stuttgart, Germany,

said it found the carcinogen N-Nitrosamine present in 29 of 32 types of

condoms it tested in simulated conditions.

"N-Nitrosamine is one of the most carcinogenic substances," the study's

authors said. "There is a pressing need for manufacturers to tackle this

problem."

The carcinogen is thought to be present in a substance used to improve

condom elasticity. When the rubber material comes in contact with human

bodily fluids, it can release traces of N-Nitrosamine, the study said.

Local government officials said condom users should not stop using rubber

contraceptives based on results of the study because N-Nitrosamine does not

present an immediate health danger.

But Germany's Federal Institute for Risk Assessment said that daily condom

use exposed users to N-Nitrosamine levels up to three times higher than

levels naturally present in food.

© Reuters 2004. All Rights Reserved.

So it can be a source of cancers now too. May Allah help us

Samafal   

Any one who wants to introduce Condoms in Somalia would need to ask himself/herself that what is that they want to achieve preventing AIDS and HIV viruses. Good but Somali race and the Aids are not recent phenomenon Somali people existed while the AIDS and the virus that causes it wrecked many African countries such as Uganda, Kenya to name a few. Therefore one need to ask himself/herself what methods worked for Somali people to be without the disease for so long while their fellow African countries are finding hard to control it. In my view, I believe our religion played and still plays a big role in this and I would like this to be encouraged more and more. Condoms are not the permanent solution. Here in the UK I was reading article in the newspaper other day that stated that HIV virus was on the raise “with all the abundance of condoms” I ask?

Well how about if we change the "safe sex" with "Saves lives", then that way, you won't be promoting premarital sex.

The truth of the matter is, people are DYING. Just because it's not in Somalia yet, does not mean it won't surface one of these days. Or maybe people are walking around with the disease and they don't know it.

Its in human nature to have sex. Muslims, whether you want to believe or not, practice premarital sex. They did before, then do still do now. I just feel sorry for all those wives/husbands who contract Aids because of their spouses indescretions!

Its better to be safe than sorry!

Waaq   

I am torn on this topic because I agree that education about the religious and health impacts of sex before marriage is very important, but at the same time I know that it is not enough. I have said this before some belief in the superiorty of Muslim values and norms will not protect us from this most devastating of diseases. While I would hope that people exercise more restraint and discipline in their sexual relations, in practice I know this not to be so. I once asked a number of older Somalis if in Somalia thirty years ago people would have sex before marraige. Their answer, "of course, but it was harder." We know that all "muslims" are not perfect, we are human after all. A person's choice with regard to their practices are their own. From an Islamic point of view their decisions are between each of us and Allah. I am tried of so called "muslims" involving themselves in everyone else's lives. Allah said don't judge it is for him to judge all our actions.

While I am against western intervention, I feel Somalis should take it upon themselves to create a system and infrastructure for combatting HIV and other problems. Methods of protection such as condoms should be part of that system.

On the role of Islam, I feel Islamic education is necessary. However, I feel the current method of teaching is dangerous because it removes all capacity to think intelligently about the implications of your choses. Strict dictation of what is Haraam and Halaal are not constructive, but rather people should be given the information and tools to guide the themselves through those decisions. After all the choice is theirs alone once they reach adulthood. And the capacity to be a good and capable adult are the goals of childhood. That is why I am in favor Arabic language teaching and education in Somali, alongside Somali, because then all Somalis will have the capacity to consult the Quran and Sunnah in their orignal languages. This coupled with proper Islamic education will allow each of us to make intelligent interpertations of Islam for ourselves.