Sign in to follow this  
Janna

-Another Day, Another Diana User-

Janna   

Originally posted by king_450:

Y'all are haters,Lexy will end up marrying opposite of her color whatever it is. Good luck Lexy

:confused:

What is the opposite of my colour?

Nephissa   

Originally posted by Lexy:

quote:Originally posted by king_450:

Y'all are haters,Lexy will end up marrying opposite of her color whatever it is. Good luck Lexy

:confused:

What is the opposite of my colour?
Light skinned?

PS. Is it true dark skin in a boy is still acceptable, but in a girl is considered a liability?

-------------------------------------------------

Ya'll heard of the infamous saying 'Mugdi & Doqon baa Madoow.'

mostly used by reer Jabuuti folks

-------------------------------------------------

While other Somalis come up with proverbs as aqoon la’aan waa iftiin la’aan northern Somalis have mugdi iyo doqon baa madow!!! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

It seems as if their colonial masters had a deeper influence in their perception of their skin colour than thought. And who knows what else.

So it is not surprising that this lady is so overwhelmingly disturbed by other people being a shade lighter!

Most Somalis (except some rotten eggs) are very proud of their skin colour, religion and language.

Janna   

So the lot of you are telling me Somali people are proud of their skin colour? If they are then why do some feel the need to change their skin colour? And where do the minjority consider dark skinned to be a unattractive?

Janna   

Originally posted by Mudantii haweenka:

Most Somalis (except some rotten eggs) are very proud of their skin colour, religion and language.

We are not talking about religion or language. Which part of this topic are you having a difficult time understanding?

And don't tell me your mother doesn't you to get married to a beautiful light skinned girl. Every mother dreams for her son to marry a light skinned girl who is educated along with many other qualities.

Gurls, i dont mean to encroach on this ever growing beast of a topic, but i couldnt help posting this. I was wondering if any of u have ever heard of a song called: 'Yellow Fever' By the great 'original africa-man, Fela Kuti , it goes like this:

code:

Fela: There are several kinds of fevers. The fever of malaria ?

Chorus: It's a sickness, a true sickness.

Fela: And influenza ?

Fela: And the fever of inflation ?

Fela: And the fever of freedom ?

Fela: And yellow fever in all that ?

Chorus: It is a sickness, a true sickness. It's precisely the subject of this song.

Fela: Then like that, you are a fashion victim : your eyes are yellow, your face is yellow, your body is yellow and your body is weak.

But if you don't die inside, the yellow will fade away.

Artificials gained you, man or woman, you will catch yourself, and it's your money which will do it for you.

You will be yellower than yellow, you will have acne everywhere on your face.

Your body will be two-tone on one side your yellow face and the other side your ass black like coal. And thus you believe yourself beautiful.

My sister who said you are beautiful ?

Chorus: You aren't beautiful at all. It's a lie.

Fela: African woman, you attempt to change your beautiful skin, like you sissi who goes away over there. Stupid practice, ridiculous thing, fucking thing.

Fela: Come on my dear, we are your pupils, teach us your method.

Chorus: I finally have it my magic cream ! I bought it at the market with 40 nairas. Oh how beautiful will I be with it ! All the men will be at my feet.

Fela: African woman, you attempt to change your beautiful skin, my sister. Stupid practice, ridiculous thing, fucking thing.

There is a clip on amazon if you wanna listen to it ..

Originally posted by Delta:

Caano

What are you trying to say exactly?

Changing your skin is a bad disease?

sis, i think it is colonial mentality and in that sense it is a psychological disease

Janna   

And it also comes down to these girls not wanting others to discriminate against them by been called "Blackie", etc.

Baluug   

I don't think it's colonial mentality,CG,this ain't the 1800's anymore.It's just that people are never 100% satisfied with what they have.We have Arabs,Somalis,Jabuutians,etc. who use bleach to lighten their skin(which,I can imagine is dangerous if done too much) on one side and we have cadaans who either stay out in the sun for hours or go into little space-pod looking things with glorified office lighting (which are not safe,either,if done for too long) to darken their skin.On top of that,people change their hair color,and get plastic surgery,and other kinds of crap.Besides,ask any black woman if they would like to be white,they'll tell you waraa nagatag nacasyahow,i just want to be a little lighter,not cadaan!

Janna   

I believe black people have an obession with their skin colours, a bit more then white people. I hardly believe white people are willing to go all the way. In other words, change their skin colour to black permanently.

Nowadays society expects people to look good every day of the week. Magazines and advertisements have influenced people dramatically. Women are told to reveal their skins more and to wear make-up whereas the men are told to show and have more muscles in order for women to find them attractive.

Muslims women obviously cannot show their hair but they find other ways to make themselves look good. For example; bleach the skin (the black muslims), wear make up (especially around the eyes and lips) and wear colourful clothing, etc.

Rahima   

And don't tell me your mother doesn't you to get married to a beautiful light skinned girl. Every mother dreams for her son to marry a light skinned girl who is educated along with many other qualities.

Not all mothers are shallow.

Janna   

Originally posted by Rahima:

quote: And don't tell me your mother doesn't you to get married to a beautiful light skinned girl. Every mother dreams for her son to marry a light skinned girl who is educated along with many other qualities.

Not all mothers are shallow.
I don't see the problem in wanting the best for your son.