Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Thousands expected at Gaza march 2morrow

Ibtisam   

Activists were planning Britain's biggest ever pro-Palestine demonstration as attacks continued in Gaza in defiance of a United Nations resolution calling for an immediate ceasefire.

Organisers predict more than 100,000 people will join a massive march through central London on Saturday in protest at Israel's attacks on the Gaza Strip.

Celebrities including musician Brian Eno and film star Juliet Stevenson are expected to join in the procession from Hyde Park to the Israeli embassy in Kensington. Friday's air strikes by Israel's military hit more than 30 targets in Gaza, killing at least one child, while Hamas launched a barrage of rocket attacks on two cities in the Jewish state. The fresh waves of violence came as the UN called for an independent war crimes investigation into reports that Israeli soldiers shelled a house that they knew contained more than 100 Palestinians. Fourteen of the 15 members of the UN's security council backed a resolution to stop the conflict, with the US abstaining. After the vote Foreign Secretary David Miliband urged the international community to "turn the words into changes on the ground". But there was little sign of this happening as official death tolls since the conflict started on December 27 reached 777 Palestinians and 13 Israelis. Saturday's march will include rallies at the start and end addressed by speakers including Eno, Stevenson, former London mayor Ken Livingstone and Cherie Blair's half-sister Lauren Booth. The organisers -principally Stop the War Coalition, the British Muslim Initiative and the Palestine Solidarity Campaign - said they hoped there would be no repeat of the ugly clashes with police that marred a demonstration in London last Saturday.

Paragon   

They were saying 200,000 and over a mile and half long march was taking place.

I left when the whole place went into flames with the hard-core protesters started lighting flames infront of the Israeli Embassy, and later fire works - I could hear as I moved away. Other one police man getting knocked

unconscious, I think it was a peaceful march.

I LEFT A STAND OFF THERE!'

PS: Somalis came out in force. I saw two middle aged ladies shouting 'Allaahu Akbar' in low voice, all on their own :D . I greeted them and they were a delight talking to them. Strange thing - Somalis all greeting each other when amid strangers.

Haneefah   

You mean you weren't in the front lines shouting down with Zionism? Maxaad ka mudaharaadey hadaba icon_razz.gif I bet Ibti was in all the way.

Masha Allah @ the great turnout.

I am about to attend my second one in about an hour, anticipating frostbites. Reero protest miihi but it's somewhat uplifting.

Insha Allah, kheyr.

Paragon   

^Lol. Hey, I was in the front line. We spent little time near the Israeli embassy but then we moved to the stage where speakers were already at it. But after listening to some of the speakers, I drifted back to the trouble spot and found myself catching a Sudani lady from falling after the riot police pushed back the crowd. And I saw the police trying to isolate the rioting group and thought, I have no inarji for trancheon beatings since I was already there for around 4 hours. And it was so cold. It slightly snowed.

I felt sorry for an cadaan couple who threw their shoes at the Israeli embassay. Miskiin. They went around asking for spare shows smile.gif .

Ibtisam   

EDIT: I can't post the images, will try at work on monday...

Allahu Akbar, over 50,000 people turned up according to BCC which I just checked, the police estimated 20,000. So many humans in such small place. Mashallah.

About 100 trouble makers or so were battling with the police, mainly young angry kids.

About ten people have been arrested for public order offences. The windows of a Starbucks was smashed and three police officers were injured as a minority of people threw missiles.

Overall the protest was peacefully but problems started when the police tried to move demonstrators away from the gates of the Israeli embassy, people were trying to reach the embassy to paint it red or something.

Somalis were out in force, Mashallah, the number of oldies and young girls on one of the coldest days!

LOL Paragon @catching a lady, lol

The orthodx Jews came out in force as did many white non Muslims.

15,000 according to Sky News! What a waste of time, these demos wont achieve anything! working through the political process can ONLY change things! The Israelis have ignored the UN, how much difference will 15,000 immigrants and few lefty liberals make? NOTHING!!!!!

Chirchill u condradict yourself, u say Diplomacy and the Political system works but yet u can see Isreal ignores the UN, so what else then?

Also we need to ask ourself what is that we can do right now am afraid Demos and giving money is all we have left for now.

A long term plan will susually arise at someopoint inshallah

Paragon   

Hablahani waxay u qosleen waxaa keenay waa wiilkaa Abdu_Diaby. Sxb, I caught a falling old lady. She was ofcourse shorter and facing the other side but after catching her, I can't say I didn't look into her eyes. I did. I was expecting a young face with which to commence a romantic heroism, but there was none to be had. Bugger!

Ibtisam   

If anyone goes to todays one, please be careful, the Zionisit are having their pro Isreal demo march, so don't be dragged into madness and fight.

MARX, what if no one went out to protest... silence in this case equals green light for israel.

Demonstrations and perseverance in activism can make a difference. Good job London, and for other demonstrations around the world.

RedSea   

Allahu Akbar! Palestine Ilaahay waynaa iyo sareeye ayaa u maqan. Intii effortka wadana ajarkeeda ayaa leedahiin if iyo aakhiraba.

Jazakallah Khayr sister Ibti. Dadaalkiina Rabi ha idinka abaal mariyo. smile.gif