Sign in to follow this  
Blessed

Libaax Sanka Taabte

Blessed   

Assalamu Alaikum Nomads... I have half a sheeko and question for ya'll.

As a child I’ve heard many amazing tales of Somalis of the past. The most intriguing of these were those describing strange encounters with the animal kingdom. My memory fails me but one such tale still captivates me.

It’s the tale of the Lion Teaser or Libaax Sanka Taabte in Somali. I don't remember if this was the name given to the storey but it's as I remeber it.

The tale was based on a nomad who got lost in the desert or perhaps the woods. Somehow he managed to be cornered by a Lion and after much sweating and contemplation he managed to befriend the lion. This was done am told through the patting of the lions nose – think crocodile Dundee, but with a lion.

The lion then became the friend and protector of this man. He carried him on his back, guarded him at night. Until he returned to his village safely.

I’m no veteran of animal psychology so I don’t question the validly of this phenomena. Actually I don’t think it deserves much contemplation. It's just a sweet tale, no need to spoilt it maaha?

What I want to know is if anyone else has heard of the storey. Do you recall the tale in full? If so, can you post it? What do you think about this matter of befriending lions?

Now for the Libaax Sanka Taabte of SOL

Errrm, your so vain…dadadadda…you thought this topic is about you, don’t you .

Joke cousin, joke. :D

On the real now, tell me, what is the origin of your name and do you have a 'Libaax Dundee’ in your family? I've been meaning to ask this for the longest of time.

Oh! My mommy told me that story a couple of years back...But I have such a bad memory--cant recall the detials..everthings hazy..How about I ask her again and tell ya! :D

LANDER   

Ameenah I was told that story a very long time ago when I was perhaps 4 or 5 by my ayeeyo ilaheey ha u naxaristee, I don't remember the exact details except for one thing. I think I was told the Lion was feeding the man raw meat and at first the man would refuse since it wasn't cooked, but as hunger crept in he gave in and started eating the raw meat. He got acustomed to the raw meat and continued eating it daily over the years and gained alot of weight and muscular build. When he went back to his town people marveled at how strong he was. I don't know if thats the same version you were told and maybe Ayeeyo (ilaheey ha u naxaristo) added that part so I would eat my Xilib :D , either way a story always captured my attention when I was a kid and I wouldn't mind knowing how other peoples where told this story. I look forward to reading the other accounts.

Blessed   

FF,

Good idea malab, go and ask her, *waves a carton of Hagn Dazes in the air* then post it for us, before I finish the ice cream. :D

Nuune,

You've got me :confused: like Tuujiye, af Somali ku hadal dee.

lol@ Lander

Didn't hear anything about the hilib or I might have forgotten. But the Lion did provide food for the man. Thanks for your input dear, thats one piece of the puzzle.

Come on people, surely someone remembers :(

nuune   

ameenah, laakin aniga waxaan maqlay sheeko run ah oo aheyd ninbaa libaax qodax muddey ka bixiyey, libaxu sakaraat buu aha geed hoostiis buu fadhiyey, ninkan oo wadada socda ayey isha isku dhufteen(is arkeen), kaddib ninkii baa fahmey in libaaxu qodax weyn lugta kaga jirto, wuu usoo dhawaadey aayar buu beynaad uu wattey kaga saarey, bas libaaxii wuu soo kacay ninkii bey isa soo raaceen oo ninkii baa la soo dhaweeyay oo la keenay tuulaadii uu u socdey libaaxiina iska laabtey.

ps: sheekadaada aad soo qortey waan maqlay but maba xasuusto, da' baa i heshay waxbaba ma xasuusto.

Oh, Ameenah ... the story of awoowe Libaax-Sankataabte is a facinating story and a very complex one which will take days to mention half of it. :D

Briefly, Ameenah, grandpa was called Kowte "Libaax-Sankataabte". The name has its origns in his battles with lions who made a habit of destroying his geel and ari in the north. He was a very strong man and fearless fighter. He was twice left unconscious because of injuries her sustained in a fight with a lion. Family legend has it, his only weapon of choice was Toorey(somali-knife) and his cimaamad (scarf). Touching the nose of another is associated with agressiveness and bravery in that part of the world. Ok Tweety?

lol@Lander. raw meet? They don't eat raw meat over there. that is Amxaaro style dee.

^^Your nic always bring a smile to my face smile.gif ..I think of the North American version of Libax Sanka-Taabte ;) :

Now Picture this:

There is this shifty eyed, skinny guy walking toward a sleeping lion. He stops five feet from it...looks around nervously...reaches down to his packback...takes out a long stick...slowly and carefully moves toward the lion...he gets an adrenaline rush..he puffs out his chest...runs the last couple of steps...shoves the stick through the lion's cage...and pokes the sleeping lion's nose...the lion wakes up with a roar...and the stinking coward almost has a heart attack as he tries to run...while holding his baggy, loose, pants in one hand and his few leafs of jaad in the other icon_razz.gif

THe next thing you know...hes being forcefully dragged by the guard...waiting for him is a hefty fine and a ban from the zoo. :D

NGONGE   

Originally posted by nuune:

ameenah, laakin aniga waxaan maqlay sheeko run ah oo aheyd ninbaa libaax qodax muddey ka bixiyey, libaxu sakaraat buu aha geed hoostiis buu fadhiyey, ninkan oo wadada socda ayey isha isku dhufteen(is arkeen), kaddib ninkii baa fahmey in libaaxu qodax weyn lugta kaga jirto, wuu usoo dhawaadey aayar buu beynaad uu wattey kaga saarey, bas libaaxii wuu soo kacay ninkii bey isa soo raaceen oo ninkii baa la soo dhaweeyay oo la keenay tuulaadii uu u socdey libaaxiina iska laabtey.

ps: sheekadaada aad soo qortey waan maqlay but maba xasuusto, da' baa i heshay waxbaba ma xasuusto.

I saw that exact story in the Arabic children's cartoon, "Sinbad". :D

للمتحدثين بالعربيه وعشاق الرسوم المتحركه:

اخونا يتكلم عن عمليق ههههههههه

Anyway, when I say the story was "exact", I really don't mean exact. Heh. The man took a knife out of a giant's foot. :cool:

** strolls away daydreaming of his childhood **

^^^You and Nuune are confusing it with the Gladiator movie!

The thorn in the lion's foot! icon_razz.gif

Now: I believe (I think? :confused: ) that in the somali version...the lion was pestering the village by eating the goats and lambs...and the man saved the lion from their anger and murderous intent. So the lion returned the favour when the man was in need in the big, bad woods.

I remember there were some hyenas who were drooling after the man...but the lion stayed up the whole night guarding him....(the man slept underenath the standing lion...between his legs.)

nuune   

^^^ FF, we are talking about years and years ago, u were not even born at the time we heard this story, gladiator is a later version!!

Ngonge, sxb I was told this story by my cousins very long time, and I never read it in books, be it arabic or somali books.

LANDER   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

I saw that exact story in the Arabic children's cartoon, "Sinbad".
:D

للمتحدثين بالعربيه وعشاق الرسوم المتحركه:

اخونا يتكلم عن عمليق ههههههههه

[/QB]

Thats interesting, In childhood I was also told the adventures of Sinjibad Al-Baxri or howeva you might like to spell it. I remember they were in a small book and it was written in arabic. From my understanding the stories were well known fictional literature among the arab nation. Does anybody know the name of the author?

NGONGE   

^^^ They're part of the Arabian Night's story, saaxib. I think there is another thread about this topic going on right now.

Salma   

Libaax Sankatabte, it reminded me of George Bernard Shaw's play " Androcles and the Lion" :D

Heard of it?! it was very interesting indeed, specially for children.

Ngonge: Who's Camleeq? You mean the "AlCamaleeeq", the Giants tribes who used to live in Arabia :confused:

Salam