Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Shiekh Boarding School

This is one of the famous schools in Somaliland. Its where many Somali intellectuals who became very successfull in their respective careers gratuated from. The list is too long...

Its located on the lush green hills near the town of Shiekh between Berbera and Burao. The school was badly damaged during the civilwar and was largely left to ruins before selfless former students decided to revive it. Thanks to their efforts the school has been restored to its former glory.

------

u_2d_2006-11-23-1-48-27f_ducaale%20ardey

u_2d_2006-11-23-1-49-18f_hadhwanaag.jpg

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

Aaah Amazing Sheikh.

I visited Sheikh boarding school when I went to Sheikh. Sheikh is one of the most amazing places I have ever seen particularly the surrounding countryside. Qabow u diyaar garoow. I was young and I still remember freaking out after seeing “clouds” moving below the mountains. :D

I am pleased the guardians have taken the opportunity to renovate the historic school and keep it well maintained. Ilaahay kheyr ha siiyo. Dad badan ayaa ku aflaxay.

Som@li   

Waw, Masha Allah it is a beautiful and well-maintained school.These are future leaders of the country. Boys out number the girls, but that will change insha allah in the future.

Why should colonials practices automatically be followed?

Wouldn't be such school more practical in the midst of Hargeysa, Borama ect?

Also, despite the IT equipment, books are scarce in what looks like a library.

Hard to believe that expensive IT equipment is more vital than books.

Which criteria do they use to select their students and what provision is made for modest students?

Frankly, it seems that everything is done out of nostalgia and other emotionals reasons, not mentioning Western brainwashing that caused the country destruction in first place, than pure holistic assessment of our local priorities in accordance with our faith ...

Khayr   

Originally posted by Djib-Somali:

Why should colonials practices automatically be followed?

Wouldn't be such school more practical in the midst of Hargeysa, Borama ect?

Also, despite the IT equipment, books are scarce in what looks like a library.

Hard to believe that expensive IT equipment is more vital than books.

Which criteria do they use to select their students and what provision is made for modest students?

Frankly, it seems that everything is done out of nostalgia and other emotionals reasons, not mentioning Western brainwashing that caused the country destruction in first place, than pure holistic assessment of our local priorities in accordance with our faith ...

I was going to express similiar thoughts but you beat me to it.

The old men in my family never cease to stop reminscing about their days in 'Sheikh school'.

I must admit though, it looks very beautiful, MashaAllah and the students look disciplined and studious.

Fi Amanillah

RedSea   

Masha Allah,very nice.

Suldaanka, thank you so much for the link.

As for Djabuti Somali and Khayr,well brothers look at the bright side,if we inherited an school from the colonial era,I don't see anything wrong with it.Either way you look at it,we are the ones that gained something.

them boyz sound like maria antoionatte!! well boyz, i guess next you all gonna say...well if they dont have bread let them eat cake!!

many ppl owe their lives to this school. its indeed a somali treasure.

Abwaan   

Runtii waan yaabanahay, Djib-Somalia. Waxaan la yaabay isticmaar baad ka sheekaynaysaa, kii u weynaa adigaaba dhulkiisa jooga (United Kingdom) wiilashaan iyo gabdhahaan Soomaaliyeed miyaad ka xun tahay walaaloow? Bal xoogaagaan waxbarashadaa xitaa mallaga soo horjeedaa? Oo haddii xitaa ay kombiyuutar wax ku bartaan ma dembi baa? Adduunoow adduun, maashe dhulkeennii sidaas u baaba' maad warka iska caddeysatid oo tiraahdid qabyaalad baan horumarkaan uga soo horjeedaa.

Anigu aad baan ugu faraxsanahay bilicda dugsigan taariikhiga ah iyo sida loo soo nooleeyey.

RedSea   

Originally posted by Abwaan:

Runtii waan yaabanahay, Djib-Somalia. Waxaan la yaabay isticmaar baad ka sheekaynaysaa, kii u weynaa adigaaba dhulkiisa jooga (United Kingdom) wiilashaan iyo gabdhahaan Soomaaliyeed miyaad ka xun tahay walaaloow? Bal xoogaagaan waxbarashadaa xitaa mallaga soo horjeedaa? Oo haddii xitaa ay kombiyuutar wax ku bartaan ma dembi baa? Adduunoow adduun, maashe dhulkeennii sidaas u baaba' maad warka iska caddeysatid oo tiraahdid qabyaalad baan horumarkaan uga soo horjeedaa.

Anigu aad baan ugu faraxsanahay bilicda dugsigan taariikhiga ah iyo sida loo soo nooleeyey.

Inadeer mayaabtay.They had the guts to come to their land and then they rant nonesense over something positive back in our homeland.

If you folks got something better ,they would be more than happy to destroy this school in favor of one that wasn't originally built by a colony,but who will step up,you perhaps Djabuti and Khayr?

Warmoog   

Originally posted by Libaax-Sankataabte:

Sheikh is one of the most amazing places I have ever seen particularly the surrounding countryside. Qabow u diyaar garoow. I was young and I still remember freaking out after seeing "clouds" moving below the mountains.
:D

I have incredibly fond memories of Sheikh, too. It's such a great place. I lived there for well over a year when I was younger. Muqdisho was all I knew before then so Sheikh was unlike anything I had ever seen. Its weather, its rugged highland-like environment, its small town feel. The whole place has as an enchanting lure that is just unforgettable.

Originally posted by Dabshid:

These are future leaders of the country. Boys out number the girls, but that will change insha allah in the future.

Indeed, they are the future leaders. The reason there are fewer female students is because the girls' dormitory is smaller than that of the boys. Sheikh Secondary School was originally an all-male boarding school. The first female dorms were added on a few years ago, while the rest of the compound was being rebuilt and repaired. I figure having at least some sisters there is better than having none at all. The school has been open for three years now so, insha’allah, student enrolment will increase as time passes and the male-to-female ratio will hopefully begin to normalize when more female dorms are built.

Too bad I never seen the area. born and raised in Hargeisa and never went anywhere east or west of it.

But, I got an uncle who is so fond about this school and the high standard education it used to provide. I showed him these pictures the other day and he just went on and on about stories. He said one of the main things the school taught the students were the sense of independence and maturity required of young studends who often were away from their families for the better most of the year. He said, one of the most enjoyable aspects, besides the high standards of education, was that you make friendships with other like minded students who often came from all over the country some from as far as Mogadishu and Djibouti.

seems like they had a very good times.

This is Sheekh General Hospital which has a similar history. It is still in deplorable state and has not yet been restored since it was destroyed during the civilwar. But there are some selfless guys who are in the process of reviving this once beautiful hospital to its former glory as well.

Sheekh General Hospital

N.O.R.F   

Too bad I never seen the area. born and raised in Hargeisa and never went anywhere east or west of it.

Typical Hargaisaawi :D

Driving through a few years ago i could the reconstruction had started. Good to see it finished and in action again.

A beautiful place Sheikh is.