Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Your First Job Experience

Just wondering what your first paying job was in high school or college/university? The very first one. Does it bring back fond memories or horrific nightmares? :D

My 16 year old brother had it better than me. He worked this summer as a camp counsellor. :eek: Went on so many field trips and explored most of vancouver while I was waking up shivering in the early morning, around 5-6 a.m, to deliver newspapers around my neighbourhood before school started (when I was around his age). Then I quit when it got too hard. :( Some people have it lucky compared to others.

First and double it up... WORST job!LooL

My first job(aged 16)was in the royal botanical gardens at the main coffee shop.It was going great until our manager left and the replacement?....

A HUGE Colombian sailor lookalike who had a higher pitched voice then me and was yes...Homosexual.It was caffe lattes and handbags at the ready by the second shift!

:eek:

Nephissa   

I've waited tables while going to school. Got eventually fired, after constantly dropping trays full of plates & glasses at my feet.

Nonetheless, i'm now never rude to a waiter, and pepper my conversation with "please," and "may I" for I have first hand experience on how the revenge response works. :D

Heh...you guys started the working larky rather young!

Got my first job at 19 when I was on a Gap year before starting Uni. I was made redundant after 2 months because the company went into liquidation. Second job was as a sales assistant in a retail chain. The branch was closed down and I was made redundant after 3months (do you see a pattern emerging?). Started Uni and stopped working after that. redface.gif

Raxmah   

Got my first job at 15, in a retail store, It was a great job until I noticed the damn manager only suspected Africans of being shoplifters. She followed them around, I didnt make a thing out of it first, but when she started telling me to keep an eye on that black folk, while I keep an eye on this. I was so mad, I had no choice but to cuss her out in a mission she was sure the three black guys in the store were going to steal. she fired me.

Baluug   

My first job was as a heavy duty mechanic's helper.I was 17 and just graduated high school.The work was OK,but the boss and the mechanic I was working with were real jerks.I only got paid $5.50/hr and worked anywhere from 50-70 hours a week.But they never took my taxes off my check,they told me I was considered self-employed and to do my own taxes at the end of the year.

So anyways,I lasted about 4 months until a better job came along,and then 6 months after that,I got laid off from that job.I applied for unemployment(called EI in Canada) and told them about my mechanic job.Needless to say,Ken(the boss) got in real big sh*t.But he got what he deserved,the prick!! :D

Pujah   

My first job was summer after high school. I worked at a 99cent store....I think that is when I started to hate ARABS. I mean I was hired as a cashier and I ended up doing all sort of things like running errands for him, stocking, cleaning the darn floors, helping customers while acting as a security guard watching who comes in and out....he gave me sooo much headache. But in the end it was all worth it cuz I got a great recomendation letter and it helped me get my second job which I loved it....and I feel bad till this day cuz I quited week after I got my other job :D and boy was he furious..thought I was going to stay till after Xmas.

My first ever job was at Tim Hortons,.(coffee shop for those that aren't familiar with Good old Mr Timmy).

I was turning 17 at the time. It was great, I had some of my friends working there, in such a short period of time, I had turned the shop into LayZie's free zone/hot spot. I was having all my pple drop by, hook them up with free of anything from donuts, coffee/tea/biscuits/soup/sandwich, you name it. Exchanging fake $50/$100 bills for my friends. I was getting a tip of atleast $50 each day I worked there, that is about 3days a week, friday night, saturday afternoon and sunday afternoon. It was minimum wage $6.85 but I was bringing it alot more than that. My manager was a pervert, all he ever hired was young girls, because he wanted to look good, he didn't give a shit and I was the only black girl in the shop, so if a cx had beef with me, you know what that means. I had finally quit just before I went back to school for the fall, but in just less than 6 months I went from counter help to weekend supervisor. It was hell of a ride, I loved it.

STOIC   

Lool viking are you serious?....What number was that? 9 0r the old crapy #6?.Back home two of my homeboys were drivers of#9 in Isich.

My first job was store clerk.Let the fancy name not trick you, my responsibilities were customer services and filling all the empty shelves.I had a second job at the time.The second job was more fun.We used to test the departmental store visa/ credit card swipe machine.

PS: Viking, wathaat baan kumaleynayey tee?

Sky   

I was 16 and got a job as a parking controller. It was great, it didn't feel like work because my working group consisted of my friends only. We just sat around getting paid and one of us would occasionaly lead a car to its parking spot. We got free pizza and soda. And the money wasn't too bad either. Every night, after work, we would go downtown and just hang out, spending our not-deserved money.

Spitting in burgers at good ol' McDonald's.

:mad:

Aeron, you think you started late… boy!

I started my 1st job last year at 21 redface.gif . I was a ‘Student Ambassador’ for my university and did open days, went to fairs to promote the uni, conducted wider-participation work shops for all ages (we once even had 2nd graders.. didn’t understand the point of promoting university education to a bunch of toddlers but hey!), etc. It was a wonderful job and the pay was £7.5 which isn’t bad at all for doing a bit of talking and advertising and walking around while all the to-be-students look up to you in awe and admiration :D

N.O.R.F   

worked in a food kiosk at a football ground, i would watch the 1st and last 30mins of each premiership game and got to do the same during Euro 96, saw the likes of Figo, Rui Costa, Jao Pinto, Davor Suker, Zvonomir Boban, Hakan Suker, John Barnes, Robbie Fowler, Chris Waddle, Ryan Giggs, Eric Cantona, Ian Wright, plus many more :D

Then left the job cos i couldnt be bothered getting up early on a Sat morning. :rolleyes: