Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Ku dayo

cgy-amanda-lindhout.jpg

Lindhout starts scholarship for Somali women

An Alberta woman who was held hostage for more than 15 months in Somalia has started a
to send women in the war-torn country to university.

Amanda Lindhout hopes the charitable foundation will be able to send 10 women to school next year and 100 over the next four years.

"We're specifically looking to empower and educate young Somali women who show leadership qualities," Lindhout told reporters in a rare public appearance at a church in Red Deer, Alta., on Sunday.

"So, women that already possess those qualities and are ready to step into the role of leadership, we're just giving them a helping hand to be the leaders that they naturally are."

Lindhout said she came up with idea for the scholarship while she was in captivity.

"The experience in Somalia was the most difficult, violent and brutal thing that I've ever gone through but … in the heart of suffering lies the seeds of inspiration," she said.

"I'm choosing to allow that inspiration to grow and the suffering is sort of pushing me forward into my life's work, which is to be a humanitarian and help others."

Lindhout said developing the program has helped her heal from the experience.

"I don't feel like I left Somalia angry," she said.

"I realized very soon into my captivity that the young boys … that were taking away my freedom and abusing me really are the victims of war themselves. When they've never known any other way, how can we expect them to act differently?"

Lindhout was snatched off the side of the road along with Australian photographer Nigel Brennan in 2008 while working as a freelance journalist.

She was freed last November after both families teamed up to hire a hostage negotiation group.

Lindhout said education is a tool to create sustainable change in Somalia.

"If the boys that had me, if their mothers had been educated women who taught them something about tolerance and peace and the world, who knows where they would be and what they would be doing, but I doubt they would be doing what they're doing now."

Lindhout said she feels a kinship with the women who live there.

"
I feel like I will feel completely free when my sisters in Somalia are no longer suffering
." [
smile.gif
]

Jacpher   

In August 2008 Amanda was kidnapped in Somalia while researching a story on the conditions of an internally displaced peoples camp outside Mogadishu. She was held in captivity for 462 days and was released on November 25, 2009.

They kept her in captivity for 462? Xoolo fowqal xoolo. She's got a big heart.

Somalina   

Indeed, she loves Somalia more than doqonada Somali isku sheegayo. She is an amazing human being, I wish there more people like her in the world.

Tuujiye   

I going to meet gabartaan soon iinsha allah... Waxyaalo badan oo aanan fahmin bee maalin hore ka hadashay in Red Dear Alberta... Maskiinta runtii waxbee soo aragtay but I'm glad she is qof caqli badan...

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Is it ok to feel a bit cynical about this announcement, especially making the annoucement in a church.

But if she means well kudos to her.

Buuxo   

naga daa MMA, millionka lagu madax-furtay oo iska soo aruuriyeen,beey rabata inay soo gudo :D

nuune   

lol@replies

gabadhaan waxee ka hadleeso wax fahmey idin kuma jiro,

bal inoo wada, haa, she is great!, maasha Allaah, amazin, good ......

ailamos   

hang on, correct me if I'm wrong but weren't people on this forum, after news of honors she received from the Somali community after her escape, saying she's an attention-seeker and doesn't deserve those honors?

Cawaale   

^loll@Bood-Boode.

"If the boys that had me, if their mothers had been educated women who taught them something about tolerance and peace and the world, who knows where they would be and what they would be doing, but I doubt they would be doing what they're doing now."

Aaliyyah   

Obviously there is some catch for her. But, so what? who does anything cuz they feel like doing. At least shes helping young Somali women pursue post secondary studies. People try to see the positive side of the project.

Cabdow   

When they were launching this project in Red Deer, she gave a

, where she made an ignorant statement about the Qur’an (she said; “as a woman” her captures treated her mean because that’s what some parts of the Qur’an teaches them) I thought that was absolutely uncalled for on her part and I blamed nothing but her ignorance towards the religion! Other than that I think she is doing a great job, regardless of her intention.