Sign in to follow this  
Yaabka-Yaabkiis

Which Books Do you read ..........

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

quote:Originally posted by Northerner:

Movies are never as good as the books

Never say never, saaxib. Check out Gregory Peck in To Kill A Mocking Bird. The movie, in my opinion, surpasses the book (and the book is a classic).

Fiction I take it?? Probably why I havnt read/seen it.

Baashi   

I second that NG. To Kill A Mocking Bird book ( & audio version -- about 8 cds) as well as the movie is a one of a kind.

Jacpher   

^Read and saw the movie ages ago. Wasn't it black & white movie?

I just picked up The Kite Runner. Haven't seen the movie yet tho.

Baashi   

Jim, the one I saw is black and white. Got it from the local library. I watched it for my kids -- friend recommended me to watch it as there are tidbits that serve as good pointers for parenting. Love it. I then went back and read the book. I then borrowed the audio version from the local library to have the narrator read it to me, in my car, during long trips I used to take every wkend. Awesome just awesome.

Pacifist   

Jimcaale watch the movie its was actually good and with an emotional rollercoaster of feelings. Great story.

Baashi I took my nieces to see the play at the Intiman Theatre in dT seattle. I though its a great book love Harper Lee. I though the kids could learn alot of things about it and the set was amazing.

Atticus Finch's sense of justice, perseverence and fighting spirit (the way he stood his ground) are most inspiring and touching. Based on what he believes in, he knows he must "do the right thing", all the more since he has 2 young children who look up to him for guidance on the difference between right and wrong.

I also loved reading the precious scenes involving Atticus and his children - Atticus is really a "beautiful" person and a perfect role-model of a dad - at once loving and understanding and patience and fair.

And what about the mysterious recluse, Arthur Boo Radley who hasn't left his house in years and has become some sort of a terrifying yet intriguing "legend" among the neighbourhood children? Is he really the madman or evil spirit that the children believe him to be.

One of the greatest books I have ever read.

Originally posted by Malika:

Jac,I read the day of the jackal as a teenager and I grew to have a special fascination with Carlos the jackal.

OMG, you deviant, so did I! I'd forgotten all about him until now.

Has anyone ever read,Guliver's Travels?

Little excerp,i would like anyone to faahfahin,please

Gulliver lies down on the grass to rest, and soon he falls asleep. When he wakes up, he finds that his arms, legs, and long hair have been tied to the ground with pieces of thread. He can only look up, and the bright sun prevents him from seeing anything. He feels something move across his leg and over his chest. He looks down and sees, to his surprise, a six-inch-tall human carrying a bow and arrow. At least forty more little people climb onto his body. He is surprised and shouts loudly, frightening the little people away. They return, however, and one of the little men cries out, “Hekinah Degul.”

Gulliver struggles to get loose and finally succeeds in breaking the strings binding his left arm. He loosens the ropes tying his hair so he can turn to the left. In response, the little people fire a volley of arrows into his hand and violently attack his body and face. He decides that the safest thing to do is to lie still until nightfall. The noise increases as the little people build a stage next to Gulliver about a foot and a half off the ground. One of them climbs onto it and makes a speech in a language that Gulliver does not understand

Malika   

Originally posted by sheherazade:

quote:Originally posted by Malika:

Jac,I read the day of the jackal as a teenager and I grew to have a special fascination with Carlos the jackal.

OMG, you deviant, so did I! I'd forgotten all about him until now.
Ha Ha..Well he is serving a life sentence in France,become a convert to Islam ,married a sudanese woman, but had since also married his lawyer..[The fascination continues..Lol]

Anyone into african literature?

^Try Alechi Amadi & Chinua Achebe or Wole Soyinka and or Ngugi wa Thiongo. They are captivating. But you would have to relate to Africa,having it is that you are not so African smile.gif

Malika,I only seem to enjoy African writers these days,What have you read lately?

Edit: You should try Half of a Yellow Sun (London: Fourth Estate, 2006)by Chamandanda(sp)Ngozi. Awesome!! smile.gif

Malika   

Faarax,the last book I read of an African writer was this book called "When A Hyena Laughs" by Abdi Sheik-Abdi.An interesting insight into a Somali domadic lifestyle,the tradition and the battle between the young and the old.

Do you think the best African Literature was writen during colonialism,as Things Fallen Apart by Chinua Achebe..?

Ngonge,its a shame the African Book Centre in Regent Park has been closed,I would have recommended you go there..