Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

The RIGHT Age!

NGONGE   

Ok. Here is the deal, girls. I want to know at what age you started learning cleaning, cooking and other household chores? I have a five-year-old daughter who is embarrassing me in front of my family and can't even make a simple cup of tea. I showed her how to do it, god knows I did but she refuses and pretends ignorance. Now, at what age do you think I have to train her on household duties?

For the avoidance of doubt, let me clearly state that my aim is not to train her to be a good housewife for the future rascal who'll marry her. This is rather for my own (and her mother's benefit). I don't want ten years to pass by and then find myself with a sulky teenager that doesn't lift a finger around the house (she's displaying all the signs already). I've already lost her seven-year-old sister to Hanna Montana and I'm trying to save this one.

So, tell me, what age would be the ideal one to train a girl on household chores? When did YOU start?

(I have other plans for the boy).

Ibtisam   

THIS was the BIG question. Old man I was looking forward to a good read! :mad:

I started at 5/6. I knew how to cook Bariis by the time I was 10/11. Start her on washing the dishes, and brining you things first. You don't want her to burn herself. I did with black tea when I was 7, then this old lady I was making tea for, thought it was a good idea to put henna on it because it cools the burning. When I went to A&E they freaked out because my whole hand was red and blistered! redface.gifredface.gif

NGONGE   

It IS a big question, Ibti. Where are the other girls? Afro! CL!

(Got to say I'm surprised by your reply).

Cara.   

I'm forgetting how big five year olds are. Is she even able to see the top of the stove without standing on a stool?

If you are going to teach her how to cook, start on something she likes to eat. Making tea is probably not that rewarding unless she drinks caano-iyo-shaah for breakfast (if it's the only thing she's going to get before dugsi, then she would develop a keen interest believe me). Baking cookies and cakes, making pizza and pancakes, all are fun AND taste good. Later you can get into the intricacies of shaah for guests vs. shaah for a jaad session :D

Ibtisam   

^^^I don't think Ngonge can make any of those cara! icon_razz.gif:D . I had a little stool in the kitchen because I was a small child and our sink was very very high redface.gif:D

But yeah that is a good idea, teach her how to make her fav food.

Well we had maids so cooking/cleaning was not a top priority for my mom that was until I turned 10. Before that I was just a spoiled brat running around with my daddy going to work/ doing everything with him. then everything changed it actually started slowly, one day she asked me to make the Asar tea, I made it she criticised and cursed me and told me to make it again…the process went on after my 4 attempt she declared am useless in the kitchen, no one will marry me and yes I failed as a woman. but that wouldn’t stop making me do it again and again and again it was tea first until I perfected the light brown tea hoyo style. Then moved to sabayadh, canjeelo (Somali- pancake) then I was moved to the preparing for big meals ie cutting and getting the ingredients while someone else cooked. Then I graduated to the hard stuff basto/bariis etc while she supervised everything…..it was a long process and hated it all…oh how I hate cooking.

Old man but then again I graduated from tuff love school I had no choice but to learn it, my survival depended on it.

p.s daughters like doing what the mother is doing. slowly start with tea….**tea party for her** where she has to make the tea, while you lot aid her?

p.s.s just let her be…5 is quite young.

NGONGE   

Ibti, we live in an age where one can cook anything they want as long as they have a recipe book. I can do all that (when I'm allowed into the kitchen). But the kids do that stuff at school. For some reason they refuse to do it at home.

I refuse to fetch and carry for them for another five years, CL. Surely if they can talk they can also make a cup of tea. I'm not asking for Chicken Biryani here.

ps

Cara you didn't say how old you were when you started learning all these things.

My daughters are wonderful ,, so wonderful that they can make anything for me when i need of course with little assistance.

Nahhh ,, you don't wana know their ages ,,,, :D

Honestly, they spoiled me. As soon as i go home they start removing my shoes, then socks, then the shirt then ,,, i stop them ,,, :D

Ms DD   

In my case, the maid used to be given the weekend off. Therefore every weekend I used to slave over the stove (in my day it wasnt cooker..but burjiko, babis iyo dhuxul) for about 20people hungry men from yoobsi for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

As you can imagine, I was scarred for life and now cant stand to cook anything. Tried for the ex, but used to eat something aa lugta ku walaaqey.

STOIC   

Lol@ Ngonge.This is the time your little daughter is suppose to worry about whom to give a bite of her popsicle and not worry about how to make shaah with xawaash! I can picture your wife remonstrate, when you tell her about your plan, she is just a little girl! Just make sure she looks out for verbs like crush (xawash) chop and whip before cooking.Make sure she doesn't use any written recipe too since this will encourage laziness.

PS I bet you CL knows how to make a good cup of tea.She will help you.Most of the sijui girls are good at cooking (this is from experience).

Saqajaan   

A girl should know where the kitchen is as soon as she starts walking, that's how my sisters were raised and that's how I'll raise my daughters. None of this westernized rigamarole. The best way is to get them mini brooms, cleaning tools as toys when they are young so they get used to it, and learn how to cook with their mothers.

Aaliyyah   

You want 5 yrs old kid to cook tea? now whats wrong with you adeer? cid shaah ku sameesa ma waydey icon_razz.gif

Jokes aside, I can understand that you want her to learn how to cook and be self sufficient in the future.Alhamdulilaah that sounds great. However, take it slow and get the lil girl to wash dishes, set the table, and do small chores like that.But, I wouldn't trust a 5 yrs old kid to go around the stove.

thats my 2 cent!