Sign in to follow this  
Hayat

UK

NGONGE   

Originally posted by DOBBS:

Blue Bar - known for its 'fighting finales' - you'll have an amazing time - good atmosphere with somewhat sombre music but you'll always witness a fight that will cap your night with horrors of somali savagery!

Tottenham High Road - a cultural mecca for many somalis looking for meat or groceries, this place with its delightful shopping parades will entise even the most hard-pressed somali tourist.

I went to the Blue Bar last Saturday. What a strange, strange place! By day it's a maqaaxi and by night a night club. A couple of Somali kids beat up the bouncer from the Pub/Bar next door and stole his mobile phone (it was only eight in the evening).

I also helped push a broken down Somali banger in the great Tottenham High Road. Still, it's strange how the place changed in the last five years. I can't remember how many pairs of shoes I wore down walking down that road.

-Lily-   

Hayat, before going on a trip you have to ask yourself what do you hope to get out of it.

If you are coming to London with the aim of seeing great nature & amazing scenery, slow relaxing pace of life you will be disappointed. It’s more man-made wonders and a lot of indoor activities, shopping, museums, galleries, attending events/shows & fine dining. You can have great walks if architecture & historic sights are your thing.

It’s also quiet expensive even without taking the exchange rate into account (mind you, the £ is at its lowest so now is as good a time as any to visit) so I would advise saving up.

Take into account what time of year you come, summer, supposedly June-August and Nov-Jan is usually dry & best time to visit.

Also, best to ask someone who has already been here rather than those who live here.

North Americans complain because they are used to brash, new big shiny things, like roads and buildings and warehouse like malls. Everything is more cosier here. They frown upon public transport, which is the most efficient & fastest way to get around.

As for the roads, they were built for horses and not cars and since London is so old I doubt this will change. It is bound to be crowded with 7 million inhabitants.

I advice a guide book, rather than word of mouth.

Ms DD   

Sometimes I dont know what to show to some people who come to visit me. So i take them to Big Ben and say..this is all London baby. Myself, I have only done the tourist thing (saw big Ben first) 2004, after 15yrs living in London.

But I show them our delights, like having a shower from a bucket, our tiny poxy cupboards that we call rooms etc.

They are usually satisfied ..never to return smile.gif

The whole UK is pathetic and depressing azz place to be. I always have an awful time there. If it wasn't for a close family members that reside in London..England is easily skip-able destination. I can't imagine myself living in the UK.

Ingiriiiska yaa idiin leh? Waa kuwiina difaacaayo meesha mooday minankiina hooyo iyo kuwiina dacaayado raqiis lasoo taagan. Shaley ayaa qaxooti wada ahaydeen ee buuqa dhaafa.

Landhan was fine, any old Yurubiyaan city ma dhaanto mana ka xumo, kamana fiicno. Staying at Haringey xaafad was not that bad, as far as I am concerned. Ah, especially staying right next to Ocean Restaurant, the Soomaali one yaa iloowi karo.

Baluug   

Originally posted by Ms DD:

88541083_5d1c52cd7a.jpg

Only in the bath.

Not to mention that's there's not always hot water, so that could be a really cold bucket bath. I guess I wasn't too thrilled about that part. :D