Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

The Somali Movie: Ali and Awrala

Ibtisam   

I watched a somali movie the other day with a friend. I got the film as a gift from one the SOL brothers [so Thank you brother]

Anyway so is about a love story involving two Somali youngsters who hail from contradicting backgrounds, she is rich and gets driven around and he has a fruit/ veg stall in the market and from a disliked clan of some sort, a *******i. The spoken somali in the film is very hard and complicated, a great way to learn something new.

Below is a short synopsis:

The film Ali and Awrala, is about a love story involving two Somali youngsters who hail from contradicting social backgrounds .Ali (the main actor of the film) is a penniless youth from a poverty stricken home that strives hard to keep body and soul together, whereas, Awrala the girl Ali loves is thoroughbred lass who hails from a well-heeled household in which prosperity beggared description.

Her father, a wealthy man called Hajji Raage appears to be a proud braggart who holds no brief for the people who belong to the lower class of the society. Besides, he is a bigoted “clannish” full of superannuated prejudice and foggy ideas about clans and tribes.As a parent, he appears rigid and authoritative, the kind that struggles to control and influence the feeling of all members of his household. He is supercilious, insensitive, extremely unyielding.

The story reaches the climax with things going haywire. This is when Hajji Raage learns his daughter’s love affair. He simply blow his stacks when he learns the social status of the man his daughter loves. He literally goes through the roof when he at length discovers the young man’s clan. WHY? He discovers that the man his daughter loves belonged to a derided clan called *******, disallowed socially to marry from his supposedly superior clan.

For the proud Hajji Raage, that could simply not happen! How? . A *******, of all people? His daughter loved *******? Impossible! To correct the situation, he strives hard to thwart his daughters love ambition. He embarks on the ventures. He is not in short of helpers however, his sons, his nephews, his kinsmen: all are ready to help him right the wrong to make Awrala’s aim impossible.

On the other hand Awrala maintains Her ground. She persists and demonstrates a rare audacity in going against the grain: in going against what was socially considered to be an obligatory filial duty; to obey parents. Yes! She loves her father. But she is under no obligation to love for him. She wants Ali. She loves Ali. She adores him and she must get him!

Ali on his party does great things. With great guts he opposes the poverty-instilled timidity. He shows a strange resilience in pursuit of his loved one. And does the seemingly impossible- risking in the process – to gain and maintain his goal of life- the love of Awrala.

But Hajji Raage, on the other hand, is not a man easily shooed .He uses every thing at his disposal to thwart what he considered impossibility .His precious daughter love for destitute *******! Of all people a *******? Impossible! For him love does not count, it does not exist. The feelings of a confused daughter are not important.

The dignity o his family is paramount and must be guarded at all cost. Even if, it hurts the feelings of his beloved daughter. With a haughty contempt for what he considered absurd relationship, he attempt to marry off his daughter to a worthy suitor-one of his well-born nephews, a cousin of hers and a playboy with fat pocket.

Can love be bought? Will the proud father and his bigoted henchmen succeed in their scheme? Will Awrala at length succumb to their wishes or she will strut, ignoring their bleating to achieve her goal? Will she burry her love Ali and obey her father? Between the poor on sufferance boy and the rich playboy, whom will she choose? See it for your-self.

The Somali Movie industry is starting to grow, hopefull to much bigger and better things. How far before we have our own Somali-wood :Dicon_razz.gif lol

nuune   

Ibti, would you be acting the next coming Somali Movie named: "haddey talo i seegto", atarishooyin and atoorayaal baa la raadinayaa, let me know if you are interested :D

It won't be out untill end of next year though, qeeb ka mida baadiyaha Soomaaliyana waa lagu dhigi doonaa.

PS: Awrala and Ali is classic, though da movie is not new, about 2 and half years ka hor baa la dhigey

Ibtisam   

^^^Yeah but I only managed to watch it haad, has not really reached the UK. The Somali was hard, gosh.

I don't do acting, but I'll help direct it and promote it :D

Paragon   

Crap plays, as usual, right? At least they did achieve one thing...to kill the original story.... that original story should not be plagiarised again!

I feel the responsibility to post this:

War cilmigiyo haasaawihii, lagu caweynaayey,

Waxaan ahay codkaad tiri miduu, cudur geyeysiiyey,

Waxaan ahay mid kuu cabatayoo caashaq dhibayaaye

Baddoo caratay mayeygaad ogayd, calool xumaantiisa,

Waxaan ahay cadraddaad siddoo, calaf u laabnaaye,

Waxaan ahay mid kuu cabatayoo caashaq dhibayaaye,

Waxaan ahay cirkoo hooray, iyo caadka oo kale?e,

Waxaan ahay casaan raaca iyo, midab casaawiira,

Waxaan ahay canabkii ka baxay, Calihi doognaaye,

Waxaan ahay carfoon iyo udgoon, iyo cadarki Baariise,

Waxaan ahay mid kuu cabatayoo, caashaq dhibayaaye.

Waxaan ahay midaan cunin cuntada, calafka sooreede,

Waxaan ahay mid cadanyootayoo, cidihi dayrsheene,

Waxaan ahay mid caynkaaga iyo, caaqil mehershaaye,

Casarkii haddaan weel la culay, caano kugu siiyo,

Cishihii haddaan sarar cusba leh, kugu cashaysiiyo,

Oo waa caafimaad rage haddaan, cagaha kuu duu go,

Asaadan caloosha igu hayn, Caligaan calmadow yeelkaaye.

Ogoobey haddaan dayaxu jirin, dirir ma nuureene,

Ogoobey haddaan daaqu bixin, duunyo ma foofteene,

Ogoobey haddaad diiddo, waan degel baxaayaaye,

Oo hal iga dardaarana Caliyoow, debinta maan saaro,

War diifta aan qabo hadday, digasho ii raacdo,

Waynoo daartii aakhiro, iyadaan cidina deyneyne.

Markey ay Doonta Saarnaayeen

CLick for more of the story in

Kool_Kat   

Ali and Awrala is one of the best, if not the best, Somali movie I've seen so far...It was worth the time and money I spent on it...

Keep in mind, this is their first movie ever...Can't wait to watch it again, hopefully some time in the very near future baan my copy heli doonaa. ;)

Damn it! I'm yet to see that movie- I always saw it being advertised on Hiraan and promised myself that I'd buy it and watch it to support the Somali movie industry as well as have a jolly good laugh at the cheese.

I wonder where I can find it? I think a trip to Southall is due. I need me some new Somali CD's anyway.

Ps My favourite Somali movie- was Rajo- The lead actor cracked me up! Plus he had a magnetic personality-there was definitely something covertly attractive about him.

Malika   

Yaa all know the director is a Soler right? So am told..heh

Constructive criticism yakhii @ Paragon.. :D

Originally posted by Paragon:

I binned 3 copies, fiirsi iska daaye.

Lol @ Paragon, I fail to see the logic behind your argument brother. C'mon ma daawan & waa plagiarism bal adigu meel saar!

RedSea   

I'm really good actor. I think I could do fit into Boondheri role very well.

We all so need one scary xalimo who would play 'dhagdheer'.

Kool_Kat   

Alla shib iga dhaha, ani filinkaan markaan galay I missed the first half an hour of it...My husband bought it today and we are watching it tonite...

Waryaada hee Cawrala dabyar maba shideysee!!! Gabadha iyadaaba shidanee...Iyaah, wiilka sey uraad saneyso aanba kahelay...Bless kuwii sameeyay moviega, weku fara yareysteen...OMG, her cousin, ar yo' yoowoow xaal qaado...LOOOOOL...Wa lahi the way I am enjoying it, it is as if I am watching it for the first time...Cawrala walaalkeed indhahiisa maba laga sheekeen karo...

Malika, last I knew it wasn't the director who's a member here...But I could be wrong oo gadaasheey buusoo gali karaa...Bal soo dhowoow dheh haduu meesha joogo... :D