Sign in to follow this  
Paragon

Cultural lession: Jaan Dheer

Ibtisam   

I don't like this one :( its boring :D I like the one where they cover their face and make funny shapes with their hands above their head, with their colourful scarf’s covering their face, and you beat your right leg with the ground, and move your shoulders like the Ethiopian dancers. Have no idea what it is called. :D find me a clip someone please.

^ :D

'Hobow, hoobaalle, how-baallow,

Hadday bil-billaabaneysaaye,

anaa baabkeeda lay baraye,

Hadday 'balaqley' u ektahaye!

Hadday Balaqley tahay,anaa baabkeda laibaray,

Nin bay la bariiqan doontayee,

Niinkay labariiqatana wuu ba'ay.

Cadeey celi calasa soo daaa

Cadow iyo cabaad waa sidaas iyo something...LOL

These are some of the lyrics i remember. Its a very very rythmic dance indeed. They use a strong maqaar to stomp their feet. This produces a clapping like sound,which when combined with the bass Hobow hobow chorus from the Men,produces this really marvelous sound.

Teeda kala Paragon,You also need to tell the folks here that,to be a Majestic Diisow dancer[Not Disco Dancer yaah Haneefah :D ],one has to be at least 6Feet & above. Xiin,you & I are automatically disqualified. :D

Paragon   

^^Thats the more nastier lyric I was trying to avpoid sxb lol. Here goes:

'Cadey celi calaso soo daa

Cadey garbasaar haloo gado'e

Cambaro 'dabagelis' haloo gade (nasty, I know)

Something something ceebla dabakuruseey lol

Can't write the rest of the lyric, its too graphic, I tell you. The geeljire men are not very subtle when dealing with the subject of female suitors.

Now, about the Diisoow. This dance is very impressive indeed. The men with a raised a baakoor in hand, raise the right hand and correspondingly, raise and release the left feet to skip continuously, while their leg right is fully grounded, taking the balance of the dancer's weight. The dancers form a line of around 5 to 10 and follow each other, their pressed right legs producing a line in the soil - they approach the semi-cirlce of the chorus men and in the instance the reach inside the semi-circle, the chorus men change their tune and the danceers produce one hell of impressive and coordinated rythmic footwork, signifying a culmination of their procession and the end of one chorus.

The chorus goes thus:

Diisoow hooya!

Diisoow hooya!

Baarbaar aawey!

Aawey warankii

Diisoow Hooya!

Geesi aawey!....

Can't recall much more than that...but in the above lyric, the intention is to incense young men (baarbaarta) into fighting. Its a warrior song. I know this dance attracts Faarax Brown smile.gif , I am suspecting he is of the great cattle herder families in the Waamo and Northern Eastern kenya regions smile.gif . These families were said to be blessed with such large numbers of cattle that they called in a meeting to pray to Allah to limit his blessing, for if not, this abundance of wealth would interest their youth into Fasahaad. Wise elders, they were.

PS: If you are reer Short-Mouth :D , I would trust you are big fan of Gaaleyso smile.gif .

Paragon   

Originally posted by Mj. bada Cas:

Paragon.loool

Shay mire dacar waa xuusaan yar eh. Marka uu awr geela fuushan yey ayaa ugu qosol badan, in aanu waligii fuulan waa lagaranaya.loool

Ma reer Sanag ayad tahay saaxib?

Lol, asliyan? Haa! Waa dhulkay Aabahay iyo Awowyadeey ka soo farcameen. Aniguse, I like to call many places my home. I am linked to Sanaag by ehel iyo qaraabo and to other regions of somali lands, by nolol qaybsi iyo asxaab wacan!

So, markey sheekadu dhii garto oo laysu abtirsado, 'Xiingalool' comes up on my behalf. I prefer 'Reer Kismaayo lee waaye yaakhey!' :D

If you are reer Short-Mouth

:D Hahahaha,intixaansanidaa niyow! Fortunatly[ :D ],am not one those noble cattle herders.

I am a Very(very)proud camel herder. Think of the Balaqley & further up north of the short mouthed folks(Lol,am still laughing),The region towards the lower parts of Southern Somalia & Ethiopia smile.gif;)

You are looking at the Map? icon_razz.gif

Som@li   

Jaan Dheer is a great dance and it takes alot of dedications n practise to master it and needs whole team sychronisations to deliver like the one in the clip. It originates from Sanaag.

Btw, it is beautiful to watch, when done by group of 6, 3 men and 3 women.

RedSea   

Jaan dheer, waa ciyaarteenii.

laakin waxan ay kuwani kabalaq balaq siinayaan ayaan sanifayba, Jimaykayga ayaa nacay. lool

Ibtisam.

You mean Buraanbur perhaps?

Go to youtube and type the above phrase....do your own lil 'dirty' work. :D

Blessed   

Horta what do they call the one where the ladies look like inay dhar dhaqoyaan?

The dhaanto wins hands down. Esp. when you have a group singing to each other. I've seen some really nice videos coming out of SL but unfortunately none of them made it to Ytube. 'cept this bad hip hop

p.s I'm assuming Togdheerites are more like the Sanaagites in their dance tradions.

Originally posted by Dhubad:

^This is a
SAAR (AKA Goobile)

Wiiloow Haduu Saarku Dhab Kaa Yahay

Bilaawaha Dhiig uyeel
:D:D

Lol@Bilawaha dhiig uyeel. :D

This is DEFINETLY not Saar. Its the Balaqley aka Gaaleyso that Paragon was describing. smile.gif

Its just the way i described, the heavy bass "Hoobow hoobow" is quite distinctive, the clapping sound is just dazzling...the adulation is beautiful walaahi. The ORIGINAL version of Gaaliso(Balaqley),common in southern Somalia & the upper northern towns of Kenya.

-Lily-   

I've heard of dhaanto, but not Jandheer, the old men certainly can move fast and jump high, I'm seriously impressed. Looks like fun!