Sign in to follow this  
BOQORKA BORAMA

SOMALI GIRLS ABANDONING THEIR TRADITION!

Modesty   

Wow, must you capitalize everything!!! Anyways, I think you have the case of "hating". You see Somali women in Somalia didn't have a life, most of them stayed home while the guy went to school to get educated. In Somalia, girls weren't liked very much. In fact, Somali girls back home didn't really have any self-esteem, they would hide when eating by covering their faces with gabasaar. In SOmalia it was the girls job to clean her brothers room , cook his food, and iron his clothes(unfair!!), why couldn't the mom tell the brother to cook and wash his clothes for his own self? Also, guys were trained to became "ulema" and gain abundant islamic knowlege other than Quran, but most girls were just taught Quran and some hadiths. I think in Somalia, Islam really got mixed with Culture, where the "man" is seen as all that! If a girl doesn't wears a skirt showing her ankle everyone starts bashing her, but if a Somali guy wears shorts showing his knees(forbidenn in Islam) no says anything. Why must the girls get all the blame? Why? Haven't we done enough cooking, and child-rearing? Now, I find it interesting that the guys wear the latest brand clothes while the wind blows their hair, and the girls are required to wear the huge jilbab( oh, I know it's required by our Deen, ) but shouldn't the guys also wear their Islamic gear too? I'm not a feminist at all. I am a muslim woman, and I am obligated to address the wrongs I see. Also, Boqorka, I'm surprised you didn't talk about all the "fake thug wannabes" Somali guys who have no role models but 0.50$ (50 cents). Why aren't there more Somali guys they can look up to ? Why don't you talk about the "qhad problem" affecting our men! No, you chose to blame the girls, because they are a easier target. Sure, some girls need help, but they are not to blame, I blame their parents who aren't talking with their young girls, who are always screaming at them to wear a hijab but not telling them why they should do so. It's sad really. So before you start blaming the 'naago' look at yourself, my "boqorka".

Som@li   

You see Somali women in Somalia didn't have a life, most of them stayed home while the guy went to school to get educated.
In Somalia, girls weren't liked very much.
In fact, Somali girls back home didn't really have any self-esteem, they would hide when eating by covering their faces with gabasaar.

my dear sis,hishoodku is part of our religion and is something valuable 4 a muslim girl to have,what have u been reading?Which somalia u talking abt? u are one those who feel women back home need to be liberated, yes,there is abit of unjustice here and there but it is not as u paint. I beleive Our somalis women are treated as Queens , the somali Social structure is based on our Diin and culture and there is no substitute,

Boqorka, Saxb meeshan mind mindi ku taag baa ka socota,,marka gabdhaha iyo wiilasha lunsan ba soo bandhig, ,cinwaanka topigana bedel.

LOL. Mention the word Loser and who/what should spring to your side... ?

.... a bird...?

....a plane...?

... naaah.....

its the LOSER. roflmao.gif

Mr. Borama, the woman-bashing season is long gone. Dig the archives to get your kicks. You shouldnt miss out on the resident loser injecting his insecurities into each and every1 of them too (thats a bonus) :D .

Anyways, I'm sorry I derailed the topic. Carry on basking in your bashful woman-hating modes. :D

J.Lee   

^^^ How is he bashing women?

I read his post, and I agreed with most of what he wrote(apparently), since it's truth.

I firmly believe that it takes a village to raise a child---but when that villiage is unsafe for a child to live in and the people are incompetant....what should one do?

Maybe Ms you should go n re-read girly wurly..I have highlighted a few points to help you understand. I would love to elaborate and point out how this whole argument holds like a strainer, but I just dont think you deserve it.

I AM GOING TO GET A LOT OF HATE MAIL FOR THIS BUT I WOULD LIEK TO TELL ALL MY SISTERS THAT I SPEAK WITH EXPERIENCE SO TRUST ME ON WHAT I AM ABOUT TO REVEAL! SOAMLI GIRLSWERE
ONCE
THE PRIDE AND JOY OF A WHOLE NATIONS. THESE WOMEN
WERE
GREAT ROLE MODELS AND MOTHERTS AS WELL AS HARD WORKERS. NOW HOWEVER
THE IDEA OF INDEPENDANCE
HAS GOT MOST THEM TANGLED UP IN A TWIST. MOST GIRLS IN THE WEST FACE A CLEAR CHOICE: SHOULD THEY OBEY THEIR RELIGION AND CULTURE AND DRESS DECENTLY, ACT RESPECTFULLY AND WEAR THEIR HIJAAB OR SHOULD THEY JOIN THE STRUGGLE OF FEMINISM WHOSE VIEWS OF SEXUAL INDEPENDANCE AND IMMORALITY THE KORAN FORBIDS. SADLY,
MSOT GIRLS PREFER TO TRY TO BLEND IN WITH THE
LOST
WESTERNSIED WHITE AND BLACK GIRLS IN THE WAY DRESS, TALK AND GENERALLY BEHAVE.
GOD THE GIRL AT UNI I SEE REGUALRLY WHO STUDIES NURSING EVEN DRINKS
BUT WHAT MOST OF THESE GIRLS DONT KNOW IS THIS:
MOST MEN, SANE ONES THAT IS, WOULD NEVER CONSIDER MARRYING ANY OF THEM
. TO THE DECENT SOAMLI ISLAMIC MALE THEY HAVE LOST VALUE AND RESPECT THUS ONE CAN FEEL SADDENED BY IT. FOR EVERY LOST SISTER THERE IS A LOST BROTHER BUT WE AS SOAMNLIS SHOULD CONSIDER THSI A PROBLEM AS THESER LOST PEOPEL ARE PART OF THE FUTURE OF OUR COUNTRY AND IF SOMETHING IS NOT DONE TO CURB THEIR ATTITUDE AND ACTIVITIES WE WILL BE THE LSOT PEOPLE OF THE WORLD. OBEDIENCE OF ISLAM IS THE KEY AND MORE CO OPERATION BETWEEN THE SOMALI COMMUNITIES RATHER THAN COMPETITON AND HATRED AND JEALOUSY IS THE KEY.
I HAVE GIVEN UP HOPE ON SOAMLI GIRLS WHO TRY DESPERATELY TO BE SOMETHING THEY ARE NOT..
HAS ANYONE GOT A SOLUTION TO THSI PROBLEM?

Femme,

You missed his point, dear. Men are *not* the problem. They are decent and Islamic. *See Below*. Obviously, he hasnt seen many girls who have taken the first choice. Makes you wonder.

MOST GIRLS IN THE WEST FACE A CLEAR CHOICE: SHOULD THEY OBEY THEIR RELIGION AND CULTURE AND DRESS DECENTLY, ACT RESPECTFULLY AND WEAR THEIR HIJAAB OR SHOULD THEY JOIN THE STRUGGLE OF FEMINISM WHOSE VIEWS OF SEXUAL INDEPENDANCE AND IMMORALITY THE KORAN FORBIDS.
SADLY, MSOT GIRLS PREFER TO TRY TO BLEND IN WITH THE LOST WESTERNSIED WHITE AND BLACK GIRLS IN THE WAY DRESS, TALK AND GENERALLY BEHAVE

J.Lee   

Still? Most of his points are true nonetheless.

BTW, girly wurly waa eray foolxuma badan oo iga matajin gaaray markaan akhrinaayay so I would prefer it if you didn't address me by it. Okay Missy?

I think the poster speaks a load of bullshit, pardon moi french! He just sounds downright sexist and a little afraid of muslim women gaining their rightful place in society.

I had a few Somali students at the college I used to attend. The girls were all intelligent and in touch with their religion too. (you can be both!) Whereas the Somali guys I knew seemed to just lurk in corners mumbling incoherently. Sorry for generalising brothers but I'm just trying to make the point that it's not necessarily the sisters whose conduct needs a rethink! :rolleyes:

Rahima   

Boqorka Boorama,

Whilst most of what you say may perhaps be the truth, that there are some lost sisters-I’m sure no single female here will deny this, your points are a tad exaggerated me thinks smile.gif . Perhaps it would be best if you replaced the “most†with some ;) . Furthermore, simply because there are some lost apples it does not mean that Somali girls have lost “THE PRIDE AND JOY OF A WHOLE NATIONSâ€.

The other issue is, brother you are male hence for you to speak of the problems of the sisters when your own sex are in a worse state is well kind of wrong. As they say, fix your own house first, advice your sex and then when they are better than the girls at least we can discuss how bad some girls might be.

We all know that the brothers are far more lost than the sisters and we also know that the Somali women are the backbone of their families and community at large. In almost every credible atmosphere of life, the Somali girls are excelling their counterparts.

Sadly this is the truth so let’s not dwell on how bad we Somali girls have become.

I have a better suggestion, let us discuss how can we make the Somali male step up to his responsibilities? That sounds like a more imminent issue don’t you think smile.gif ?

Som@li   

Ok, we all agree there are some somalis who are lost from both sex,but one thing needed to be addressed here,One a guys is lost, there is a chance for him to retreat,and go back. How many guys who were hopeless and were example of losers, changed,went back, married and now contributing to the society, while, when a girl is lost, there is no turnin back,and this is scary.

The problem is somali commnty don't accept girls who crossed the line. So if u as girl are doing wat is not the norm of islamic and somali culture, and you are doing this cuz men are also doing it,then you will only be the victim.

and my final advice, there is no gender competition,this is MAN'S WORLD. :D

Its clear that Somali women are exceptional in their efforts to save the Somali race - we have single mothers raising many of the youths of today. They’re the ones encouraging our youths - raising good children. They are struggling financially, and emotionally. So what than? Let’s not forget there are men who are involved in the community, raising their families, and equally contributing to the Somali potential movement.

Rahima - I think Somali brothers are doing their best and they are trying. Somali girls are excelling at a faster rate than boys becuz they get special attention, they are raised as commodities to be traded in the post-party phase - the its time to get serious, religious, and married phase of men - as Farxan argues. That is why men are able to recover from their previous misfortunate, and women are killed, disowned, mistreated, and get culturally alienated, when they become bad girls. Its a double standard, but hey its man’s world.

Rahima   

The problem is somali commnty don't accept girls who crossed the line. So if u as girl are doing wat is not the norm of islamic and somali culture, and you are doing this cuz men are also doing it,then you will only be the victim.

Yes we all know that our people are sexist and full of double standards (to the dhaqan police, save it, nothing but our religion is perfect), but that is beside the point. This thread is about a particular brother of ours who has highlighted the shortcomings of certain sisters and painted them as issues across the board. Furthermore, if we are to be concerned for our people and our community, I believe wholeheartedly that we should be discussing the state of our brothers for in reality they are in a sadder state than we are- I say like before, we tackle the most problematic issues first. This for me is not a male bashing session, but I’m sure that almost all will agree to this. Therefore with that being the case, why do we feel the need to say things such as “most girls†and we have now lost “the pride and joy of our nationâ€. These are pretty hardcore accusations and statements to make wouldn’t you say?

Rahima - I think Somali brothers are doing their best and they are trying. Somali girls are excelling at a faster rate than boys becuz they get special attention, they are raised as commodities to be traded in the post-party phase - the its time to get serious, religious, and married phase of men - as Farxan argues. That is why men are able to recover from their previous misfortunate, and women are killed, disowned, mistreated, and get culturally alienated, when they become bad girls. Its a double standard, but hey its man’s world.

What? Brother what are you talking about? Girls receive special attention? I don’t know about Montreal, but here in Australia and I’m sure most of the Somali communities the case is very different. We as girls not only have all the pressures placed on our brothers, but the further burden of our household duties. Take me for example, I am attending university, I also work (so far on par with my male counterparts), but then instead of having the pleasure of going home, having a cooked meal by my siblings or mother and relaxing, I have to get home and cook and clean because I am a female. This is the case for most girls who do want to progress academically and gain some sort of a career. Not only am I expected to be feminine and do all the womanly things (cook, clean, wash the clothes etc), but my parents also expect me to excel in my studies and make something of myself.

I ask you then brother, why is it that there are more sisters studying at the tertiary level than our brothers when we undoubtedly (I am speaking generally) have more responsibilities and have more obstacles to face?

Men up until they are married in my opinion have it far easier, we are the same basically but with more to handle. I am not saying that there aren’t men who work hard and step up to the plate, but I always wonder why the girls are succeeding more with so much more stacked up against them. Perhaps it’s because our community nurtures them to be lazy? From a young age his mother or sisters were running after him doing his every last task at home. How many Somali families do I know where the girls are not only expected to pursue an education like their brothers, but also she has to make his bed in the morning. You’d expect that she’d have more difficulties at school for example, yet somehow they outshine their brothers.

The point is, there is something wrong here, much greater than the childish antics of the battle of the sexes. We need our men to step up more; we need the good decent hard-working men to be role models to the lost younger brother for at the end of the day a society will succeed if all play their part successfully.