Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

Fellas, Do you discuss politics with females?

-Lily-   

There is nothing special about women, if only everyone would consider each other human first.

As for men and politics, during my IR course, we had this African guy called James, and he always put his foot in it. It was so comical, he even said once how ‘you can mess with women’s minds’ and I watched my die-hard-bra burning feminist Professor turn a shade a red that I have never seen before.

Some girls argued with him for a while then gave up. By the end of the year he was slightly more modernized, or at least he knew what to say in front of whom.

In general I don’t think gender has much to do with it. There is a really good book about women and diplomacy. Forgot who it was by, a good read and it shows you where exactly the women are in international politics.

As for Somali politics, who likes to talk to a wall :D

Chimera   

dumartalob.gif

Somali women i have noticed are less myopic and see the bigger picture, they are more patriotic and if i had a 1 million man army standing right now i would put in place a system that excludes males from ever becoming a leader of the Somali nation and the females will continue to rule for a thousand years...

think about it if Siyaad just stepped down and a woman came in power in 86' or Aideed and Mahdi who continued the destruction of our state had put their ego's aside and allowed a woman to come to power we would not be in this situation

and this situation from diasporic destruction of the youth to the destruction of our nation and dignity by outside powers is literally making me sick :(

strong.jpg

imagine..just imagine it mayne

Aaliyyah   

asalaamu alaikum,

wrote by ibti: You know what i don't like, empty discussions and debates. Somali and Arab people debate till they are blue in the face with no end product, no action, no improvement, maaxad iska xiijin in that case, just shoosh and amus

Ibtisaam I agree with you sis, which is why I barely discuss nowadays somali politics, I can debate all day long, but there is no point to it since at the end of the day none of us are going to make any actions, we just gonna proceed w/ our daily lives school work etc...and not only that somalia is not going to change, everytime you think oh this time its gonna be different, things just get worst. I gave up walahi, bt ofcourse I do make du'a for things to get better,,,and lets just wait and see how things turn out. But, lets not bother with all these debates as there is end to it, and certainly we can do more productive things w/ our time.

As for females and males discussing politics...there is nothing wrong w. that...I use to discuss politics w/ my father and older bros all the time..and still do from time to time, so we cant say all somali guys hate discussing politics with the ladies ... I do recall actually this one incident where a guy told me " gabadh maxaan uga shega siyasad" so yeh some could be conservative

wa salaam

Ibtisam   

I gave up walahi, bt ofcourse I do make du'a for things to get better,,,and lets just wait and see how things turn out. But, lets not bother with all these debates as there is end to it, and certainly we can do more productive things w/ our time.

I was not implying that people simply give up, i mean action and words should go together, there is no point in empty dua, Allah is not going to sort your problems out for you simple because everyone decided to give up, it does nto amek sense, everyone needs to find someway or another as well as make dua.

Paragon   

I discussed both Politics and Psychology with females, especially with Somali females at uni and at conferences. Three of them cried. As for the non-Somalis, two were Jewish and one was pro-Colonialist :D . I didn't intend to but at the end of the seminar they had tears on their cheeks. I don't think they were emotional. I think that my points were simply favoured by the audience than theirs. Simple as that.

As for Somali girls, I was lucky enough to have many Somali girls as students at uni. Some of these girls were fire-brands, I tell you.

Cambaro ..they dont have to take part in politics...Have you ever-head famous politician woman around the world..ofcourse they exist but rare...did you encounter factors that come under polticis: cheating, killing, or anyother factor that it takes you to do it..to be a politician..can you think of that..

Ibtisam   

^^It must have been the seminar boring them to death then, if not the politics, I remember I use to get bored to tears in my British Politics class, by the third year it became sleep lecture.

I still doubt you made then cry with a simple discussion about Politics :rolleyes: but then I can't comment on women in Planet Pluto :D

Paragon   

Lol@Contemporary British Politics. I did well in Devolution Politics, actually.

Ibtisam, in Politics, especially in seminar debates - when you have people who are in reality of opposing sides - extremely angry at the way things are - the likelyhood of winding each other till tears come flowing is not a rarety. When you have Palestinians and Jews in the same room. Members of Al-Muhaajiruun and pro-Empire BNP, the debates could be very interesting. Not to mention, having an Ethiopian and a Somali head to head about the goings on in the Horn. The strangest quarel I have seen, and the most bitter, seems to exist between Sunni Arabs (especially the Saudis) and Iranians! I never use to think there was much friction between the latter groups but after seeing their debates I thought, God, they are even worse enemies than non-Muslims are to them.

PS: Women in Planet Pluto are nice and round :D .

Ibtisam   

^^^lool^ I'm sure they are, Bit too round I heard: :D

In any case, emotional debates yes, I myself remember throwing a chair at a Nigerian guy in my second year on the onset of the Iraq war. So I can understand emotional charged debates but tears is another story, I suspect you bullied them into crying and I will stand by this!

I agree with you on the Sunni/ Iranian issue, all Arabs seem to be paranoid about Iranians in general, I think it is deeply rooted in their shared/ hostile history, which even the younger generations seem to carry around. Bit like the Somali and Ethiopian, but a lot worse in many ways.

Paragon   

Originally posted by ibtisam:

^^^lool^ I'm sure they are, Bit too round I heard:
:D

OK, Ibtisam, not that kind of roundness . I meant that they are well-rounded charactors, just like you here. Now, if they are otherwise well-rounded, in the sense that they are really well-rounded in figure, ah! all that is a bonus! smile.gif

On the issue of bullying females in politics into tears, I mean, it is politics. Ideational bullying is part and parcel of the game called debate, if you know what I mean . Sometimes, the art of politics involves the employment of many tools to defeat someone's point. A psychological approach and a great attention to detail can break the opponent. You just have to place each word of your opponent in a context that is assured that make him/her sweat, in the middle of winter. Some females, instead of sweating, do cry, thats all. Nothing wrong with that. I kinda like seeing re-afirmation of human nature . Men fret when cought between a rock and a hard place and sweat :D .

Ibtisam   

:D no more comment on you The Planet Pluto females (thats what i meant as well, what did you think... oh no you did not! :eek: :D

On the issue of bullying females in politics into tears, I mean, it is politics. Ideational bullying is part and parcel of the game called debate, if you know what I mean . Sometimes, the art of politics involves the employment of many tools to defeat someone's point. A psychology and a great attention to detail can the opponents. You just have to place each word of your opponent is a context that is assured that make them sweat, in the middle of winter. Some females, instead of sweating, they cry, thats all. Nothing wrong with that. I kinda like seeing re-afirmation of human nature . Men fret when cought between a rock and a hard place and sweat

Not necessarily one can always prove their argument logically without employing dirty tricks (assuming the person is not in the debate to con people in the first place) (Yes i know politics is the art of deception, but even so) You can employ as many tools as you want as long as they are necessary and relevant to the task, manipulation and psychological games only work for a miller second you throw the person of guard, once the person recovers and is on form, you will need something more solid for them to clutch their teeth on to if you are to convince them of your point of view.

Cambaaro is going to kill me when she comes back. redface.gif

Paragon   

^It is one thing to convince one but is altogether a difference game-ball to destroy someone's argument beyond repair. When I am dealing with individuals with border-line political views, I try to convince them. However, when I have met the opponent before and have had the opportunity to sample their argument, I never try to convince them, but I work towards nullifying whatever they believed in. Compromise takes only between friends not between enemies.

PS: Maybe we should leave the topic for the reasons Cambaro intended. We shall continue our talk some other time smile.gif .

Ibtisam   

Well it depends on how far you believe your argument can carry you, most people know whether their argument holds water or not, and they also know the strength & weakness of their arguments and the opposing argument, so they will not give you the opportunity to destroy them totally, you will always be head locked, but obviously one ideology is always more popular than the other depending on the era.

If someone takes their Political views as their believes you will never convince them, rather like banging your head on a brick wall.

But the solution is to find a middle ground and compromise (even amongst enemies) rather than push back into two extremes.