Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Mali Music

The West African music I always hear in my friend's store (Half Mali/Senegalese) is soothing and enchanting to the soul. Now, I can't differentiate Mali music from Seneg..... Baba Maal comes to mind (barely miss the annual African festival in my city).

I have to talk to my friend ..but I'm interested in west african drumming only...y'all know of any group/CD that's soley drumming??

AYOUB   

Originally posted by Yo-Yo Ma:

I was actually listening to Hamza El Din today.
. I thought his music was similiar to Somali Qaraami. Maybe it is Oud/Kaban thing.

We've lost both him and Ali Toure in a space of a few months. May Allah have mercy of them both. Aamiin.

Ayoub...I knew about Toure, but the death of Xamza is news to me. Alla Ha unaxariisto both. My bro introduced to his music. Loved it from one day, and got me exploring Nubian music. His 1999 albumweb page was my fav.

Tammi.....never really checked into west african drumming,but do let us know how it is.

AYOUB   

Toumani Diabate

Toumani Diabate is the 71st person in his family line to play the kora

In a HardTalk Extra interview screened on 15th May, Noel Thompson talks to one of Mali's greatest musicians, Toumani Diabate.

_41681382_toumanidiabate203.jpg

Toumani Diabate is the 71st person

in his family line to play the kora

Click here to watch the full interview

Toumani Diabate is a master

of his art: the kora, or African harp.

Revered in Mali as the "prince of the kora", he has recently come to global attention thanks to a Grammy award for the album In the Heart of the Moon.

This was the result of a collaboration with another Malian music legend, Ali Farka Toure, who died this year.

Toumani Diabate tells Noel Thompson about the pressures of being the 71st in a family line of kora players.

He also explains why Ali Farka Toure - regarded by many as the living embodiment of the original blues sound - made such an immense contribution to African, and world, culture.

Just wanted to add another name to the list.

I saw Habib Koité and his band Bamada from Mali a couple of nights ago and they were smashing. Etran Finatawa from Niger who were also performing were also lovely. smile.gif

finale.jpg

Perfect end to the Perth International Arts Festival. I wish I had some pictures though.

Chimera   

Mali Hoyooy Mali darandarandara Mali deyoo kadarakara kuli wahaa oohh yeaahhh

I love the Female vocals :D

Cara.   

This site has a very good collection of music from Africa and world music in general. They also have this Free Song feature if you register with their site, you can download a free single every week. Good way to discover new artists. I discovered South African musician Zola there.

As for Mali, Tinariwen, Ali Farka Toure, and Wassoulou singers like Oumou Sangare and Sali Sidibe are awesome.

N.O.R.F   

I'm reminded of the streets of Paris and the extra friendly Africans you come across. Taxi rides across town in a Malian cab :cool:

i have heard n listen to probably to ever music out there!! nothing beats somali music...one particular music, i use to listen to it to go to sleep..aka greek music!!

check this site Mikaalis!!..u can listen to somali music and then browse thru the lyrics while u playing it.. far out!!

thanks to tubeec! he converted me to listen to somali music!!

http://www.somalilyrics.net/

tonite's song:

http://www.somalilyrics.net/music/index.php?artist=Sahra-Ahmed&song=Kaan-Laabta

Tuujiye   

^^^^ Waraa ama MR dhibic or Miss Dhib!!!! we are somalis not MALI!!! ama wax aan fahmeyno na tusi ama nagala tag waxaan..qandha fildaran qaadee!!!luqadaan dixiriga anaga kuma hadalnee!!!

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Cara.   

^Qosol badanaa.

Thanks, The Poster Formerly Known as Che. But would it have hurt to put something beside "web page" there?