Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Mali Music

Malika   

Che -Guevara;901811 wrote:
Never actually heard Ugandan music,

I like the Ghanian one.
:)

I know! the Azonto dance is rather catchy..

Ugandan music is in the raising in East Africa at the moment.

an excellent thread Che! made even more excellent by its aptly entitled name - Mali Music

the term 'world music' is a rather ridiculous term and i'm glad to see you've avoided a seemingly easy mistake of classification, that is often made. naming an entire works of arts and subsuming it under a broad term like 'world music' is a great insult to the culture, traditions and heritage of the people of the global south. the 'world music' genre, is, I, think, an attempt to encapsulate music from various places around the world and as though everything is directly contra-distinct to WESTern music - music from more 'traditional sources’ particularly those from the lesser nodes of global networked society is 'othered', and collectively grouped together.... despite their apparent diversity and the richness they offer. surely, ‘world music’ is place-specific and unique to its places of origin?

‘world music’ musicians have been commodified as objects of desire, that puts WESTern audiences within touching distance of exotic far-flung places, how voyeuristic! similarly, it caters to the 'cultured' nouveau riche-gentrified-intelligentsia class of the WEST, who have proliferated in the last 15 to 20 years. this vicious contraction of sorts restricts plurality and choice and indeed evidently shown us how the patronising foggy 'tokenism' of the WEST, has reduced the cultural value of these works of art. furthermore, the paternalism of the overarching white cultural superstructure seeks to provide a controlled pedestal to these ‘smaller’ and ‘seldom heard voices’ to western audiences but also severely promotes and indeed propagates the mainstream WESTern music industry's manufactured BS to far flung corners of the world. in nigeria and kenyan and across the continent, ethnic works of arts are being replaced by MTV induced BS of the type we're constantly inundated with by the mediums of music in today's 21st century social network age.

i suppose, the superior western production, marketing and distribution system will always eclipse ‘world music’ musician's meagre streams of opportunities but the sad reality is; the western cultural imperialist superstructure will continue to dominate music of the world by its construction of the devastating cultural hegemony regime, and indeed will continue to subsume other cultures under this 'globalisation façade'. it appears the farther a countries is from Western centres of cultural gravity, the more it’s been 'ethnicised' for consumption. music must always be considered in terms of place of origin and no matter how 'cultured' one might be, one must understand there will always be barriers of entry into other cultures. Westerners seek to have insights into other cultures through the arts and by listening to the world music of that particular country. and yet conscious cultural critics like myself appreciate and wholly understand; it doesn't make you more familiar with the said culture, it just means you like listening to the music of that country and nothing else – which this thread has demonstrated in its entirety.

Malian music, we love you and appreciate your sounds.

Carafaat   

Che -Guevara;903101 wrote:
Dear Alpha....I agree with you completely.

Malika......Any good Tanzanian musicians? Something from your childhood perhaps:)

maybe some Bongo flavour. :D