Sign in to follow this  
Tuujiye

The Word QQaalddaan!!

In my books, Qqaldaan is ok. I don't find it offensive. Similarly I don't find the word !!door offensive. Both have a historical meaning.

Our immediate neighbour soo xasuustee, yar la dhihi jiray Khaalid Qaldään, yar aad u bashaash ahaa.

The word then had nothing insultive [for lack of a better word] behind it, too innocuous ahaa and referred to any one from North, from Seylac to Laasqorey to Laascaanood. I later realized our friend was dad reerkiisa ahayeen Reer Sanaag.

Its original meaning, it is said, refers to lahjadaha kala gadisan ee Koonfurta iyo Waqooyiga ku hadlaan. Since a lot of Reer Waqooyis moved to South, and particularly to Xamar, their lahjad was considered to be "wrong" -- hence the singular qalad word, which is the root of the word qaldään and borrowed from Carabi] -- by residents of Xamar's standards.

It nowadays required a political tone and meaning, and can be considered offensive, especially some who qabyaaladists who try to separate or regionalize the very Northerners into separate groups -- e.i. folks from Hargeysa can be considered qaldään, but not the one from, say, Laasqorey.

Kuwa kale iyagana waxaa jiro isticmaalo ereyga wänläweyn, labelling it to anyone from South, as though the term is unsavory, when in fact it is a little town's name.

Kool_Kat   

Tuujiye, I feel you walahi...A not so close friend of mine, reer Waqooyi eh waligeed nagu dhex jirijirtay (reer Xamar keena) for the past 15yrs, went to S/land this summer for three months...Let's just say qof cusub aanoosoo noqday...Everything now is about S/land, and we are not mad at her...We just don't understand why the major change after only three months...The dashboard in her car s/land flag lagu dhajistay (never before did this happen), gaariga gadaal 'I LOVE S/land' lagu dhajistay (never before did this happen), s/land parties la aadaa (never before did this happen), maanta dhan markey ka hadleyso dadkooda 'reer s/land' dhehee (never before did this happen), markey naga hadleyso anaga 'reer koofurtiina' noogu wecee (never before did this happen), etc. etc...Nothing wrong with all of this but gabadhii sida in cudur lagu soo talaalay camal eeba isu badashay...Don't get me wrong, I have nothing agaist her or her people, but for goodness sake anaga sanka hanaga soo galin...Quuy dheh yaaqoo...

All of the sudden she changed and expects us to change with her? NO WAY...Horteed nuur...

bilan   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

It nowadays required a political tone and meaning, and can be considered offensive, especially some who qabyaaladists who try to separate or regionalize the very Northerners into separate groups -- e.i. folks from Hargeysa can be considered
qaldään
, but not the one from, say, Laasqorey.

Kuwa kale iyagana waxaa jiro isticmaalo ereyga
wänläweyn
, labelling it to anyone from South, as though the term is unsavory, when in fact it is a little town's name.

back then qabiil lagama wadin, but now it means one qabiil,and some people get really offended by using that term, i personaly got into trouble by using it, i think it depends the person, wait do not people from laas qoray speak like reer bari, atleast those i know from laas qoray do not speak nothing like reer waqooyi.

plus what's wrong with people being proud where they come from, maybe it is time kool kat, you should pay a visit tuuladii uu awoogaagii shanaad ku dhashay smile.gif , believe me you will come back as changed woman

Kool_Kat   

^Come back changed? How so?

{gotta love this edit thingy}

There is nothing wrong with being proud of who you are and where you come from, but to change in matter of months is just wax yaab ah...And not just change, but really change!!! My friend's case is a bit extreme...I don't think that much inuu qof isu badali karo...

Fabregas   

It depends on the tone, reason, time and place it is used. It's like alot of people use the word Moryaan to symbolize warlord and their militias, but some qabilists say it to mean an entire clan...... plus u know Somalis are sensitive........

Originally posted by Al-Mu'minah:

Salaama alaykum, I'm pretty sure it means wrong sis.
redface.gif
You're right about the Northerner thing though, certain people tend to use it to mean ''wrong dialect'', when I've heard that that Somali is the purest form. Allahu 'alem, nothing to fret about. [/QB]

Back in the days, the word was not wrong and people especially those from hargaysa never felt offended.

My adeer(whose is my father's maternal aunties son) is from laasanood and he was always called Abdi qqaldaan until now, I also had many freinds and relatives from hargaysa and they never felt insulted.may be today's reer hargaysa have got problem with it. :( . in that case i will make sure i dont call them by it. :(

Xamaraawis dont feel insulted,nor reer mudug, reer goleed and waamo.

About the somali of reer woqooyi being the purest, i really dont know of any diluted somali, i mean the real somali. :D

peasant   

We had this kid as a neighbour and he had this weird habit of calling us the neighborhood kids garac when ever we pissed him

off or something and the funny part is none of us knew what the word garac meant at all. So we gave the kid the nick name garac

despite his approval since he introduced the word into our circle. He lived with his uncle as his mother was still away back

in the north but she will eventually come later on. His uncle being a typical somali fella never bothered what kids said to

each other and who is called what in the neighborhood or may be he thought his kid will toughen out by him self. Everyday

after school we had the habit of going to different homes and calling out friends to play soccer together and we would do so

by sending someone to call so and so. So one day finally it was my turn to fetch out people for a lovely soccer match. I went

straight to our famous friend garac's home and knocked their door. A tall middle aged women opened the door and with

northern accent asked me what i was looking for and my reply was "Eedo garac ma jooga". Well you can pretty much guess

how furious that mother got by calling her son a ba$tard. Next thing i remember was flying sauce ban towards my direction and

i was climbing walls and jumping off fences. Last time I remember garac still retained his nick name and of course with

out the presence of his mother but the name did stir some controversy in the neighborhood as the mother complained to

some parents in the neighborhood and in our kiddy world that was insignificant. That was the only qalldan funny encounter i remember..

Aaliyyah   

^^ lol thanks for sharing that story it was hilarious. The lady shouldn't have been so hard on u, you kids were innocent ;)

anyways, coming back to the topic I guess it is better to refrain from anything that might be associated with qabiil. At this time qabiil is heated issue, and we should just avoid it all together.

that is my 2 cent.

Nephissa   

how are they any different then the ones Xamar tagay oo soo noqday "xaw yiri, xay tiri" ayagoo leh, or kuwa Puntland tagay oo "ma jidho" iyo "way jidhaa" ayagoo leh soo noqday.

Alloow yaa daf isiiyoo meelaan ogahay i geeyo, aan soo noqdee anoo badalmee..

Ahhhhh! ciil badanaa.

Tuujiye   

^^ adiga aa ka mid ah geed yahee tin teeda aad u qabtid iskoobe dhamaad ah!! lol..

Thank you all for sharing your points.. when I got back to somaliaonline, I really didn't think this topic will still be up.. After all being me and knowing how Sland populates this joint, I think I'm their number one enamy lol tnx to (Northner) saqajaanka lol... I still got love for you waqooyi qashiin yahoo!!!

I just think is a silly thing for people to get mad about and be judge mental about it... yea we culd say lets not use that word since many peole get mad about it, but what would that fix? is never smart to blind your self from thing or look at it with one eye... dadka waa wada walaalo oo wax hadii la xalinkaro waa la xashaa laakiin in laga sii jeesto oo lagabaqo xumaan iyo eed waa wax aan wanaagsaneyn...

The word QQALDAN, ment nothing more than people from the north..and reer hamar people used it on northen people because of the way they talk. Their was no bad feeling in between before...laakiin hada ******* hadaa dhahdid waa adigoo qabiil dhan ceysay oo waaba dagaal!! bismilaahiyoo!! waa la jiradaa laakiin jiradaan saan ah maxee eheed?

PS.. Northner, can you please share the effect that this word has on you? and no two liners please..wax kaa topics badan oona kaa hadal badan meesha ma joogee.....

Wareer Badanaa!!!

N.O.R.F   

^^You was hoping for fireworks miya?

I think Gediid explained where the word originated from and it wasnt 'just what people from north were called' as some seem to think.

It hasnt ever effected me. When it comes to words reer Burco lama soo doonto :D

Sorry the thread didnt have the desired effect icon_razz.gif

Tuujiye   

It hasnt ever effected me. When it comes to words reer Burco lama soo doonto

loool

lol maxaa dhacay? reer buco ma saarka iyo bunka ee ku dheereeyaan?

I don't think you agree with Gadiid sorry..

and I didn't start this topic for other reason..I just have a friend who has the somaliland cudur now and buufis ku dhacay... he always used to chill at my house and I always had a big Somalia flag hadana gurigeyga dhan wuxuu ku nacay calankaas lol waxaad u qabtaa sheydaan masaajid so gal lugu dhahay markuu maqlo xaafadeyda aa loo socdaa lol...ninkaana waa qamaamkoo aan isla kornay oo asaga xataa xamar ku dhashay...

Wareer Badanaa!!

NASSIR   

Kook-Kat, I am a big fan of your stories. You are one funny girl . :D

A similar one, My 1st cousin along with his family whom all were born and raised in Hargeisa came to live with our nuclear family in Merka for circumstances beyond their control (the first civil war). We used to make fun of him until his northern dialect evolved into the normal southern dialect. That was after 1988, and after the major civil in 1991, we were all seperated. He went back to the Northeast whereas we were forced to move to Kenya. In two years, my cousin's Somali-southern dialect is completely transformed again just like he was before.

It is how it is. Environment has a strong impact on how we act, behave, and think.