Sign in to follow this  
FatB

shame

FatB   

slama calaycum

is any one els in the same boat as me. i am in my young adult life and am ashamed that i can not read or write af soomali fluently..... i have been raised in the west and now i am experianceing difuculy understanding the somali dialegt. this there any nomad on this forum with the same difucly??? i feel so lost....

Waxaan maqli jiray Dawacadii socod keediina ka tagtay,kiii kalana gaari weydey i also see that your experiencing difficulty writting your english, so i suggest you work on learning BOTH languages brother professor...advice from the elderly

asxantu

One brotherly advice for Mr. professor: always interact with the Somali people in Somali langauge and make sure you find some reading materials where you can gain more somali vocabularies as well as reading comprehension.

Go ahead, start now, cause it's a doable thing!

Shoobaro,

Please, easy for the brother. We are here to assist him by all means, not to discourage. Many somali children are really in his position now, where they can't properly communicate in the host country's langauge nor their mother language.

Brother, check this link, by reading this book about the sad experience of somali children:

http://www.irinnews.org/webspecials/Somalichildren/

nuune   

professer, it is alwayz practice, try ur best, i think SOL will help u make ur somali a little biit more fresh by trying to read topics in somali

FatB   

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL I have noticed that my grammar when I am typing rather fast can go astray, but we all make mistakes I will have to remember to prove read my messages in the future.

Seeing that we are all in a judgmental mood, so of my other less incompetent nomads need a brushing of in the English skills to

on a more plesent note i would like to humbly accept your criticism and hope in the furtur my simple and sometimes unnoticable mistakes go unnoticed...

and thank u for the "advice" Alle-ubaahne

I will take note and will check out the site...

oh one more thing, I hope that this does not meen that i will not be able to use slang and short-hand in my furture posts...because writting formaly is a pain Looool

Sincere   

i have been raised in the west and now i am experianceing difuculy understanding the somali dialegt

Professor, if its any consolation your not alone in this dilemma.

P.s. Keep up with the ilma baro posts,you might learn a thing or two ( even though it might not be "appropriate" somali litreture) ..ilma baro kaftaan bey iga tahaay ( i hope i got that right)

OG Moti   

Prof. first if you cant read or write somali you shouldnt call yourself prof. but you asking adive i assume.. ok if you can read and write english, then there is no reason you cant read or write Somali.. unless you slow.. i hope not... do the following

- Study your english alphapet and do the following changes

C= AA ( somali or ayn in arabic)

X= haa Somali

DH = d'aa

That is it.. it doesnt require intelligence to do so, right? unless you dont know somali.. then that another story, no one can help you unless you visit dhagahboor or qabridahare then their is a hope you learn somali langiage otherwise, stick to your latin language and forget that you are Somali.. peace

OG_Girl   

prof, stay away from Somalis and believe me you wont need to learn Somali.

If your both parents understand your western language that is enough why Somali ???

PS: For these whom talking about his English ,he said that he was raised in western , ALL western don't speak English!!

Salam

OG_Girl   

Waryaa I never been anti-somali hoono.

Is just the language is hard to learn when you never been in somali land.

Don't take it personal.

Salam

dawoco   

Proffesor, i was once like you, if not worse. Although I had my family around me, it was hard to not fotget the somali language. Speaking was bad, and writing something i didn't even dare, thats how bad i was.

It's hard when you go to a school where you speak, read and write another language. When you get home you lock yourself up in a room for homework. And family time is stricted to weekends when everyone is a bit rested.

If the intrest in your homeland is there, the rest is just routine work. Listening to somali music, trying to speak somali as often as possible, learning the somali alphabet and trying to write the words as they sound. Admitedly at first you will sound like an ***** , god knows i did. But in due time you will see improvements, and even understand the gist behind what people say.

Good luck with it bro, you shouldn't feel any shame. At least you are trying to do something about your weaker points, thats more than what can be said for so many!

OG Girl,

Abaayo taladaada runtii uma fiicna wiilka, marka hadii aad iska aamustid soo kama fiicna intaad talo qaldan siin laheed wiilka yarka ah?

Professor wuxuu gartay iney ceebtahay qof inuusan ku hadli karin luuqadiisa hooyo, marka wixii ceebta uuku sheegay miyaad uga dhigeysaa wax fiican? Waxaan oran lahaa ilaah ha u fududeeyo walaalkeen luuqadiisa hooyo, anagana sidoo kale.

Runtii Luuqada Soomaaliga waa luuqad fiican oo qofku ku sharixi karo wax walba, waliba luuqada Soomaaliga waxaa ka buuxa caqiidooyinkii Islaamka, gaar ahaan, markaad eegtid dhanka suugaanta gabayada iyo maahmaahyada, ama xigmadaha kale aan leenahay.

Ugu danbeyntii, OG Girl, wax qalad ah ha iga fahmin waxaa tahay walaasheey oo aan sidoo kale jeclahay inaan tusiyo wanaaga luuqadeena hooyo oo aan barano iskuna fahamno.

Mahadsanidiin,

Ibros, (Alle-ubaahne)

OG_Girl   

Alle huh :confused:

Speak to me language I understand English or Arabic please if you want to address me.

Thank you in advance.

Salam

FatB   

listen up people

i may have overstated my limits of the somali language. I can write but find it difficult to read, that is not to say I am completely hopeless. Laakin insha-alaah waxaan ku dadhaala in aan safiican lukhadeeyda aan u barto. (did that make sense?) so u c that my Somali is some what broken.

Qac Qaac   

Professor saas lee ku wad, broken is the best way to learn a language.. that was very nice just a spelling errors that's all. but i got ur point. so don't act like u don't know somali u r better than lots of ppl here.