Sign in to follow this  
Johnny B

Cycling Somali Girl/Woman

Simply sis. If you feel that you are being attacked...then don't give them the time of day. Just ignore. You shouldn't be made to feel that way nor feel that you have to explain yourself over and over again...its ur opinion...I agree with some...disagree with some....but thats life nooh?

Its just that people generally have a problem being told they cannot do something unless it explicitly says so in the Quran, not that you said it.

I've used my example to highlight other views, may not necessarily be urs, but when i was told i couldn't ride, it was insinuated that riding bikes may lead to whoredom.

X, finally truth comes out. You were discouraged from riding a bike all these yrs ago because some farah hinted that bikedom leads to wh*redom, too bad. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Simply U, I understand, you wanted to make noise, and Ceel Jire and monkey rider were your way to come out and speak for those 600+lurkers you speak off who in your eyes got discouraged everytime they want to express their opinion by the bullies of SOL....but for you to grab on and hold on to the bone CEEL JIRE threw@ u early on is just sad, and you actually let it become 4pages, all over some man's DAAC about women riding a bike and you claim to be a woman and hold the same views as that man.

Sister dear, you have got to realize, whether you are out riding a bike, or you are out covered head to toe, if men want to stare at you, they will stare at you, and I know that for a fact.

When I am well dressed, I get looked on all around, when I am wearing t-shirt and sweatpants and walking up to the variety store to get milk, I get even more stares, but I don't live my life in the hopes that men would stop staring. I can't help who stares at me, I can't help who stares at me when driving, or riding my bike 6am on a summer morning, why? because I don't give a sh*t, my only concern is to get my exercise on, ride, and get on with my day. 6am, ain't no one up, except people who are getting about going to work early or those who are on the same boat as me, and are exercising and getting a fresh air.

I really don't think the same old man who walks every morning@6am infront of the park that I ride on will be staring at me, as he has his own task to complete that morning, and that is to walk few laps around the park. I have been riding bikes since I was 6yrs old, thats when I got my first ever bike, and I ain't about to stop because thats a hobby I like doing, just as there are people who like rollerblading, I like to ride my bike in the summer time. The point I am trying to make sister is you can't help how people perceive you as an individual. Whether you are covered appropriately or not, people will keep looking at you as long as they like what they see.

The next thing men like ceel jire will say is go into hiding because I can't resist women walking around, what then? WOULD WOMEN BE ERASED FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH BECAUSE SOME MEN ARE SO PERVERTED THEY CAN'T EVEN STAND TO LOOK AT A WOMAN?Would that be unislamic then just as it is unislamic for women to ride a bike now?

This whole trend that is going on SOL LATELY about folks jumping to religion everytime someone says something they ain't feeling is just getting ridiculous. RUDY SAID IT BEST, not sure the exact words he used but he said something to the likes of quoting the quran for your own personal gain is sin itself and y'all got to stop using it and abusing it, and guess what? THE ONLY INDIVIDUAL I HAVE A HARD TIME UNDERSTANDING WAS THE ONLY MAN I REMEMBERED MAKING SENSE FOR A VERY LONG TIME, SO RUDY, YOU ARE A SMART MAN, MORE POWER TO YOU. PLEASE FOLLOW HIS ADVISE AND STOP ABUSING THE RELIGION FOR YOUR OWN GAIN AND ACCEPTANCE. Y'ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

PS: My apologies for going off topic, but this needed to be said.

x_quizit   

Simply, for u it may seem immodest for a woman to ride a bike, for me it is not. My view of modesty is how one carries themselves and I don't think being on a bike makes me any less modest. Similarily, if we bring up the issue of clothing, i find men's riding clothes to be very immodest, i don't see many ppl crying foul. Those tight clothing that leaves no organ to the imagination crosses the line more than a hijabi with a long top and trousers enjoying herself. Again, if it "bothers" guys(which i don't give a flying fig), they should quite easily avert their gaze from the horrrendous sight of a woman biker. Easy does it.

I also want to understand, if something is unislamic, why wouldn't it be haram? Drinking is unislamic, therefore it is haram. By u stating that bike riding is unislamic, all i'm asking is to show me proof that says it is so, which will also make it haram.

Simply_I   

Curling waterfall

Anything that i say in this forum is indeed based on my opinion unless i otherwise state and provide evidence.

i can assure you i am under no pretence whatsoever and feel no need to do so.

By saying that i think, a woman riding a bike isn't enhancing the islamic adaab of a woman, i dont think i am disrespecting the religion or misinforming the crowd.

Nevertheless its a good thing that you are patrolling the coasts, jus make sure you understand what is being said properly next time.

And another thing there are some things that conform to good islamic morals and that aren't specifically stated in the Quran or hadith.

Lazie girl

The opinion, whether it is from a guy or girl it doesn't make any difference to me as long as i agree. I know i am a woman. so what? I am not a femminist and dont agree with the notion anyway.

And as muslims we should be concerned to make things easier for those around us.

x_quisit

Yes it is about how you carry yourself.

i dont see the practice of religion jus as praying 5 times a day, not drinking and fasting etc....

It is more than that there is also an overall attitude that comes with it, all minor things count.

Well sorry if i came accross as patronising and flexed with "the new trend" i am simply enthusiastic about the application of the deen to modern life and look forward to discuss similar issues with you all in the future. :D

bilan   

i do not think anyone has a problem with your personal opinion or what you feel comfortable with,but you can not say something is unislamic and fail to produce proof and on top of that expect us to leave you alone :D ,next time you use religion make sure you have the hadith from reliable source,verse from the quran ;)

Haneefah   

Simply sis, keep it up, may Allah (SWT) increase you and the rest of us in understanding and implementing His deen.

I had a gut feeling this topic would spark some controversy (one that would most likely involve Islam)...apparently, it's only like the most popular trend of SOL nowadays...seriously, must every friggin' insignificant topic be debated and argued to the point of exhaustion, what's gotten into people :confused:

Originally posted by Faarax Brown:

Man! Before we know,they will be Riding Horses

Uhm, Faaraxoow, what exactly is wrong with riding horses again...and fyi, here's a sister who wants to own some one day Insha'Allah :D

Blah blah blah, which part of the girl's (simply_1) don't you understand? She is saying loudly and clearly it is personal opinion and nothing to do with the religion and you still keep going blah blah evidence, hadith etc....get a life. This is a ****** madal for diff opinions all personal, read them and proceed and if you have something to say, for the sake of helping the topic get somewhere understand people's writing before you give yours. Btw, i am NOT standing for the girl, she is good enough on her own, but i am exacerbated by some of the view.......Lord, why do some people like to twist and turn things....now, i better say later.

x_quizit   

There is no personal attack on Simply, what u seem to miss while u were gazing down on us on ur high camel is that once someone says something is UNISLAMIC, u better have supporting documents. ie quran, hadith, rather than stating the claim without evidence. She has since retracted that and said, in my opinion it is immodest, which no one has a problem with but once u start using islam to back ur personal beliefs, there is where the trouble lies. B4 u swoop down like a gellejire on a white camel, read throughly instead of jumping to conclusions. :rolleyes:

Nephissa   

Dadkiinaan inaad is xag xagataan, oo indhaha isu rog rogtaan, baad ka heshaan eh'?

Allooow yaa meel bacaad ah iskugu kiin keeno, oo isku kiin sii daayo! :D

Pacifist   

:D:D:D

Debate usually brings about a change.

Sometimes debate helps keep some things the same.

Debate can be useful.

Debate challenges our minds.

Debate can blow our minds.

Debate can waste our time.

Debate is healthy. It may not make you wealthy.

We can hate debate & love debate.

Debating at the wrong time can get us into trouble.

Debating can make us bubble. Where would we be

w/o debate? It would be too late. Author Unknown

For those wondering what is becoming of Threads take a look above. Think about it, isn't this the whole point aint it?

J.B sorry for going off topic. :D

Originally posted by Castro:

quote:Originally posted by GEEL-JIRE:

There is something un-modest about it! That is, as they say, my personalment gut-feeling.

Your gut and your argument, sir, are both full of shidh.
Qofkii raba inuu LIBERAL careysan arko, ninkaan ha fiiriyo!

One sign you can definately recognize in the behaviour of liberals is that they fight for miximum obsenity in the public arena, and that is a fact discovered recently.

N.O.R.F   

Not one to venture into these parts very often but I could not, not reply to this topic.

I applaud Geeljire & Simply I for having an 'opinion' and stating it. This 'opinion' may be striking and some may find it offensive for differing reasons but the fact of the matter is that its their 'opinion'. We all have our minds to establish our stance on any topic. If she wishes to conclude that a woman riding a bike is unislamic (with reasons provided)then why not just let her 'opinion' be?

If others feel its not unislamic then thats their 'opinion' also and should live in the hope of not being unsulted for having that 'opinion'.

This is a forum and we are all here to debate/argue (call it what you like) but persuing someone for simply having a different 'opinion' is childish and does not suit many on here (some cases excempted).

I also think women riding a bike is unislamic but I also think wearing shorts in a football match is also unislamic :confused: ... so is smoking, wasting time etc and many other things....

NGONGE   

world_cyclist.jpg

pic1_copy6.jpg

ghana-on-bike.jpg

muslim_women_riding_bike.jpg

The evidence is conclusive. Any self conscious, fashion-aware, self-preserving and modest girl worth her salt would not be seen dead on a bike. :D

A motorbike, maybe. But one (male or female) can never look dignified on a pushbike. I think it was Mrs Beckham that once said ‘one is too posh to push, darlin’.