Sign in to follow this  
Kool_Kat

Storm Warning for the GTA on Friday

Kool_Kat   

For the past couple of days it has been said on the news that Toronto and its surroundings will be hit hard...My husband is scheduled to fly out tomorrow, but with all the warnings and articles like the one below, it doesn't seem like he'll be travelling... smile.gif It would've been the first new year in ten+ years apart since we met, so I am not complaining (gooskeyga in loojeedaa umaleeyaa saan u smile gareynooyo :D )...And since he has been on the phone with Air Canada for almost an hour trying to reschedule, it isn't looking good...

Ilaahoow nadhaafsii waxaan nagusoo food hayo...

Air Canada has announced that passengers can rebook their flights to, from or through Toronto on Thursday or Friday without a fee because harsh winter storms are expected to cause major delays in air travel through the area.

Canada’s largest air carrier said passengers who wish to make alternative travel arrangements can do so without penalty as long as there is space on other flights.

Air Canada recommends that passengers be patient because it expects that the high demand to change flights will create long phone waits.

On Thursday, Environment Canada issued extreme weather warnings for most of Ontario, with snow squalls and high winds expected to hit the province on Friday.

On Wednesday, the federal weather centre issued heavy snowfall warnings for Vancouver, Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador.

Kool_Kat   

According to the latest estimates, here's the timetable.

Friday 8am:
Light snow starts as the commute heats up. It may slow you down, but depending on how quickly it moves in, you should be able to make it into work O.K. Total accumulations early on: about a trace-2cm.

11am:
Snow intensifies, becoming heavier and beginning to bog down roads. At least 3-10cm can be expected during the heaviest period.

4pm:
Rush hour begins and for many, it's the last one before Christmas vacation kicks in. But it won't be an easy ride home. The snow that's already fallen during the day is expected to wreak havoc on the commute, as it blows around. Things start to taper off to light snow, with an additional 1-3cm.

8pm:
The snow finally ends but the clean-up will be complicated by gusty winds blowing up to 50 kilometres an hour.

That's enough to create white-outs in some areas and tricky travel conditions for just about everyone.

Winter tires are a good idea and so is making sure your windshield washer fluid is topped up. Police are already pleading with drivers to take it slow and with the expected road conditions, you really won't have a lot of choice.

Saturday:
Will dawn clear but very cold, with highs only of -7C for the day and bitter wind chills. Despite that, it will be the best day of the weekend.

Sunday:
Temperatures warm up to the norm of 1C, but more snow is expected to begin later in the day. This storm won't be quite as bad but it will add to the already high piles, leaving an additional 5-10cm in its wake. A lot of it could fall overnight and into
Monday
making for yet another potentially miserable drive to the office.

Tuesday and Wednesday:
More flurries are in the forecast, although it won't be the same intensity as what we just went through. It could snow on Christmas Eve and the chances of a White Christmas seem almost inevitable.

Friday's storm is expected to also cause trouble at Pearson International Airport and Air Canada has already put out a travel alert, advising passengers there will be no charge for rebooking a flight for an alternate day. See where the warnings apply.

This major blow comes at a terrible time, with this weekend expected to be one of the busiest of the year at PIA as Christmas vacationers look to get away from winter and hit the beach somewhere warm. But in this case it appears getting there may not be half the fun.

How depressing reading this!!! Specially since I've been looking forward to the start of my christmas break from school, starting tomorrow... :( :mad:

Aaliyyah   

I was planning to go out with my friends tomorrow. And, I think i still will.....it cant be that bad...hopefully it will be ok.

salaam

Pucca   

Argh! :mad: that'll mean i cant be sporting strappy sandals with my dirac tomorrow night. *sigh* oh well...the stiletto boots will have to do.

KK, stop panicking, the storm is not a big deal. We are also getting some of that storm hitting our way, about 15-20cm and another 10cm on sunday.

Make sure inaad good shaah aad sameysato and go under the covers with a good book. ;)

Kool_Kat   

LG, I am not panicking...Not really...I would've been more panicked if I lived in Vegas...

Not a big fan of shaah...A large cup of coffee and a Nigerian movie that's three or four parts long will do just fine as well... :D

Kool_Kat   

Woke up early to see if classes were cancelled...No luck...Got ready, left the apartment, heated the car and headed for the road...Soon as I came out of the underground garage of my building, it was starting to snow pretty badly, with winds and poor visibility (just like they said on the damn news :mad: )...I put my car on reverse, turned around and went back in to the garage, parked my car and came back upstairs...All the while thinking 'Waxaan horay ubaran waayay maanta kaliya ima dhaafeyso ee screw school'!!!

Malika   

^Looooooool@ waxaan horay ubaran waayay maanta kaliya ima dhaafeyso ...lol Indeed KK.

Now,you can put your feet up and have a hot cocoa.