Sign in to follow this  
Qac Qaac

Open Minded

Qac Qaac   

Hey i decide to start a topic where we could all benefit from, the debating that insha'allah will soon fallow after this post.

I got couple of questions. what is open minded?

who are the most open minded ppl in the world?

are university students open minder or not?

if i start answering, those questions. one i don't think accepting GAYS would make u open minded. i still stay with in the guidelines of islam, and be open minded with in the circle of islam, but anything out side the circle is not open mindedness to me.

I don't think the west are open minded, they are not they don't accept anything different from them, that is why u see everone trying to be like them, but give them gradit coz a lot of eastern ppl think they are open minded. even though the signs say they are not. is giving right to gays open minded act? or a back word slide for man kind.

the 3rd thing, i don't think, university students are open minded, u actually become close minded, is my opinion, agree or don't agree. coz university gives u a sense of kackiness that u know what u r talking about, and if u somehow come across some one who know more in the feild u study, u won't listen to that person, coz u r telling urself, how can he be right, he is not a university student or graduate. to me universities is a illusion, don't get me wrong, it is important to go to university... but be careful thinking that u r open minded when u actually are closeminded.

my last question to end with... WHY ARE WE SO OPEN MINDED TO WESTERN CULTURE ANYTHING IT IS. AND QUESTION AND BE HESITANT ABOUT OUR DEEN, WHEN SOME ONE TELLS US COME BACK TO UR DEEN PRACTICING IT.

so the question is are we open minded because we live in the west, isn't that arrogancy.. we are becoming a red neck. to think we are better coz simply we live in these countries.

i know i asked a lot of questions but pls do ur best to answer them all. and add more inputs. ok.

NGONGE   

The most open-minded person on earth will still struggle to fathom any of what you wrote above, saaxib.

What are you talking about? :confused:

I personally don’t think the West’s acceptance of Homosexuality is that bad, what many of us forget is that people of other faiths are not obliged to follow our rules. These people have decided to follow man made rules and in their systems Homosexuality is tolerated and accepted. Why does that bother you more than the fact that they don’t believe in Allah (SWT)?

i still stay with in the guidelines of islam, and be open minded with in the circle of islam, but anything out side the circle is not open mindedness to me.

You’ve already limited yourself to the “circle” of Islam and nothing beyond that, therefore proving the West’s open-mindedness. I understand the definition of open-mindedness to be the ability to accept, entertain and search for new ideas and concepts. This is something people in the West are doing all the time. They’re not restricted by religious dogma or cultural restraints. They’re free to explore and implement any new idea they conceive (even if that idea is blasphemous). I don’t have any evidence to prove my hunch, but I suspect that the entire idea of open-mindedness was the result of a desire to escape from those religious constraints in the first place. I wouldn’t want to be THAT open-minded. :mad:

Your third point about University students doesn’t make much sense. You don’t have to be a university student to qualify for the Qac Qaac definition of “open-mindedness”. icon_razz.gif

Salma   

Well, being educated, working person, rich or a even a president cannot make you an open-minded person. If you dont have the skills for being an open-minded person. Besides, i dont consider ppl who imitate others in everything are open-minded ppl.

1- I believe that the Open Minded person (as a muslim) is someone who respect and follow his/her religion's values and teachings no matter how their societies or surroundings are different from the Islamic teachings. For instance, in the West, you can live with others who are different from your religion, deal with them without being influnced by their way of living. I dont say that the West is bad 1000%, they do have good things and bad things. The West has the technology,power,education,science .... etc. So the real open-minded, smart and mature person is the one who takes the good things (the core) that help him in his life and leave the bad things (the Shells)such as the ALcohol,Drugs,Relationships,Suicides,Weak Social relationships....etc

2- Also having your own opinions without bias or prejudice and standing up for what is right no matter what are the pressures you are facing.

3- I think also the Open minded person is the one who convince others without offending, attacking and hurting them. Ppl can disgree with your opinions and beliefs. So the way you deliver your opinions and beliefs is important.

PEACE

Jumatatu   
Open-minded ..? What is its definition and does it have a limit? As Ngonge put it

the ability to accept, entertain and search for new ideas and concepts

. Hence the following :

So the real open-minded, smart and mature person is the one who takes the good things (the core) that help him in his life and leave the bad things

..is not an open-minded person but rather wise and ofcourse smart.An open-minded person does not hesitate from exploring all sorts of evils, and does not like to adhere to rules and regulation set by either religion or authority.

Salma   

An open-minded person does not hesitate from exploring all sorts of evils, and does not like to adhere to rules and regulation set by either religion or authority ????

------------------------------

Jumatatu, ppl's opinions and personalities are different. What is fine with you is not fine with another person. So i think we are all here to giv different difintions and answers for(Open-Mindedness). Its just like Freedom, Freedom definition is different from one person to another. So the same applies to the Open-Mindedness.

Peace

NGONGE   

You're right, EM. But, if we follow the concept of Open-Mindedness to its natural conclusion, wouldn't it end up as being exactly what the brother is describing above?

Surely your definition of Open-Mindedness could be described at Tolerance, Understanding or even Wisdom!

Blessed   

B]what is open minded?[/b]

The dictionary definition of open mindedness states; willing to consider ideas and opinions that are new or different to your own. With this in mind, I consider being open minded as an act of being tolerant of other views and taking them into account when dealing with others.

However, this doesn't mean that I'm prepared to bypass my principles and believes to make others happy- I think that would be reveres narrow mindedness. :rolleyes:

who are the most open minded ppl in the world?

Errrm, is this a trick question? Why, I'd say those who display open-mindedness are the most open-minded of people. :D I have a feeling you are looking for a specific nationality / ethnicity of people. I don't think that’s possible…..

are university students open minder or not?

Some are, some aren't. redface.gif

Now, your last comment / question is somewhat cofusing.

WHY ARE WE SO OPEN MINDED TO WESTERN CULTURE ANYTHING IT IS. AND QUESTION AND BE HESITANT ABOUT OUR DEEN, WHEN SOME ONE TELLS US COME BACK TO UR DEEN PRACTICING IT

Hmmm, I wouldn't call that being 'open minded' but it's more a case of assimilating / or choosing to replace your old culture / values / principles for another...but thats another topics me thinks...

Salma   

So,Open-mindedness is considering/listening to the new or different ideas and opinions and to be tolerant with them but without getting affected if they are against your values,principls and beliefs.

Peace

IL CAPO   

Originally posted by Qac Qaac:

questions. what is open minded?

Answer:Open minded is some one who is completely the opposite of you.

P.S You must be an open minded to keep such a name like yours icon_razz.gif .

Rahima   

Complete open-mindedness like freedom of all speech and freedom of all choice are all nothing more than farcical notions based on delusion rather than reality.

Gediid   

Interesting thoughts but one question lingering in my head.How far does one have to go to be completely considered open minded or the opposite of it?

raula   

Indeed, to be open-minded doesn't mean that one has to agree with everything said, but atleast to respect and try to farthom different views and perspectives. RAHIMA and MEENAH exactly-a complete open-minded is really not having a STRONG stand on ideologies (OBTUSE-minded rather!)

QacQac-don't you know that there are many muslims, somalis or even westerners who totally do not agree with the rules/regulations/perceptions of the WEST? :confused: :confused: Besides, you generilize a bit much about UNIVERSITY students :(

Qac Qaac   

You’ve already limited yourself to the “circle” of Islam and nothing beyond that, therefore proving the West’s open-mindedness

Ngonge, bro what u saying here. when i say to stay with in islamic circle, i mean not going out of it, as in not to sin. I still don't get the pt u r making when u say gayness is ok in their rule. if u see their history u would know they were the one of the first ppl. they say the pope burned the first gay ever seen in europe long time ago somewhere in the 14th century.

as for the ppl who said i am generalizing, sorry, i didn't mean to generalize. sorry if it come that way.

Somali suju... me accepting the kind of remarks u saying makes me feel open minded.

as for the university students... u all know what i mean, they act as in they are open minded ppl coz they got education, and i all i am asking is are they really.. Look how arrogance they become when they become something.

IL CAPO   

Originally posted by Qac Qaac:

[somali suju... me accepting the kind of remarks u saying makes me feel open minded.

i haven't said an ounce of what you say to the other people and don't worry i wont say anything other than the truth and if what they say is the truth then what can i say.

by the way did i ever tell you that you remind me of Sergeant Waryaa in Vioja Mahakamani? :D:D

if you don't know who that person is then dial 555-5647 and ask for Panya icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif