Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

SOMALI MIDDLE CLASS

-Lily-   

There is no denying that most Somalis are of humble origin and they appreciate this. You can see how far most have come by looking at what their grandparents used to do and what they do now, in fact, we would be excellent social climbers :D .

p.s. you will be saddened to find that the theatre has been mainstream for many many years now, whilst I love musicals myself, these days some are so bad they can be considered almost chav-like, so careful what you regard as cultured and don’t fall victim to cultural slavery by immitation. You forget the Theatre was central as entertainment provider when it came to Mogadishu night life, so don’t be so quick to judge your fellow Cashos & Jamacs.

p.s.s Thanks for the laugh...

Malika   

^Hear Hear,just because we dont report back on all the recitals,gallery visitation or nights out at theaters when we log on SOL doesnt necessary mean we dont indulge in the western form of entertainment..

Baal yaa irii to listen to a classic,gabaay recited by xaji faraax at the local mafrish isnt cultured enough?

Originally posted by NGONGE:

You and Marc talk about class as if it is a concept you just invented. It is not about owning houses, going to the theatre or earning a certain amount of money. It is about values, conduct, level of education and much much more.

The Old man has spoken and has clearly stated his views. While i agree with you on a number of attributes like values, level of education etc. The notion of being middle class also entails a process of cultural consumption. One must display this through a wide range of activities including going to museums and attending the theatre occassionally.

Baluug   

^If that's the case, then I just increased my social standing by at least tenfold today by visiting the NMM. Had a great time.

Originally posted by Malika:

Baal yaa irii to listen to a classic,gabaay recited by xaji faraax at the local mafrish isnt cultured enough?

Thats not culture! thats bigotry infused with drug abuse. I dont understand how some individuals can claim that Khat is part of our culture. I believe its a sub-culture responsible for destroying the social fabric of the somali community. However if done in the right settings, its tolerable. for the record, i do not condone Khat usage whether done responsibly or not.

Baashi   

^Not all folks who have that intellectual hobby are khat addicts. Somali classical literature is no differant from say French, English or Arabic classical literature.

Baashi   

What if you:

1. have a comfortable living of standard

2. have a significant economic security

3. rely on your expertise for your income

4. are politically active

5. are educated in higher institution

6. are white-color salaried professional

7. own your own house (as opposed to renting)

8. consider yourself and your peers as being influential

But don't share cultural background with the host country or say you are a practicing Muslim. In that case, it follows is it not, that you won't consider attending opera or taking wine tasting tour in the vineyards as distinct taste that validates the social strata you are in!!

Nephissa   

Khat is what drinking cheap beer is to [some] middle class people. I wonder if Marcus think that's "destroying the social fabric of the somali community" aswell.

underdog   

...and out of 4 pages of debate the only thing thats clear is your propensity to HATE!

That most of you actually have the nerve to publicly advertise your hate for someone's choice on how they choose to live is probably why we can never get along.

Did I hear someone imply that they hates somali people on welfare and in government housing?

You hate the lack of education of that guy and this girls inability to adapt to a new country?

Sidii loo joogay aa banaaka waxaa lasoo dhigay wixi cuqdad iyo xaasidnimo laga xishoon jiray.

Isku xishooda,

If you're insecure about your own lifestyle or what "class" you're in, FIX IT....and feel free to spare the less fortunate your vain and hateful criticism

Gediid   

If class was something of any importance in our Somali way of life,I hate to say it but a lot of folks maanta maan wada hadli laheyn, meelna maan wada fadhisaan laheyn but but since its a non issue among Somlais Marc is free to classify himself into what ever class or caste he so wishes to place himself in even its just the simple minded folks of the middle(but hardworking)class... smile.gif

Is class about going to the theatre? LoL...if so, I must say it's expensive and overrated. Three tickets to Mama Mia set me back £200. I mean, wtf?

Anyway, I don't know about anyone else but it's kind of difficult to see myself as anything other than a refugee and I doubt if either qualifications or property ownership will change that.

underdog   

Originally posted by MARCUNIAN:

but we know most SOLer graduates prefer nothing more than taking part in a Khat orgy, or in the case of the SOLer feminist camp going to Weddings and indulging in low budget and low status activities like going to the movies.

Oh yeah, we totally misunderstood that.