Sign in to follow this  
Salma

Hey Geek Squad Listen to Shehrazade

Bess.   

i read this book couple of years...and still stays on my mind.... The Trial by Franz Kafka....... , it was quite dark in humor.....but i though it was great..... :D

Amazon.com

A terrifying psychological trip into the life of one Joseph K., an ordinary man who wakes up one day to find himself accused of a crime he did not commit, a crime whose nature is never revealed to him. Once arrested, he is released, but must report to court on a regular basis--an event that proves maddening, as nothing is ever resolved. As he grows more uncertain of his fate, his personal life--including work at a bank and his relations with his landlady and a young woman who lives next door--becomes increasingly unpredictable. As K. tries to gain control, he succeeds only in accelerating his own excruciating downward spiral.

I read this Book called Auditing by someone, and after that i never picked up another book redface.gif

(sorry to go off topic)

btw this is a nice little read smile.gif

Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life

1582342873.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Amazon.co.uk Review

Futebol is sub-titled "The Brazilian Way of Life", and if any sport can truly be deemed to be such a thing for any country on the planet, then surely the sport must be football, and the country Brazil. Alex Bellos's study of football in Brazil, its history, its players, supporters and legends, works from the standpoint that Brazilian football is one the modern wonders of the world, "the beautiful game" being an art form in itself and a universally recognised trademark and brand. From such a view, he is able to entertain the reader not only with stories about great players and matches well known by the followers of world football, but also about the unique position of the game in the world's fifth largest country. Thus featured here are not only tales of Garrincha, Socrates and Ronaldo, of Flamengo and Fluminense, but also of football amongst the Indians of the Amazon, Brazilian footballers in the Faroe Islands and the story of the design (and designer) of the famous golden yellow Brazilian shirt, perhaps the most instantly recognisable icon in football anywhere. Where other books investigating the footballing culture of one country might have a more straightforward story to tell, Bellos uses this more eclectic approach. While the subjects of his observations are linked by the common threads of football and Brazil, he still captures magnificently the beauty, passion and the occasional absurdity of the world game in the world's number one footballing nation. --Trevor Crowe

For those who want to understand the deep seated facination for football and why its more than just a game read this book smile.gif

Pacifist   

Originally posted by Classique:

Now what all this noise coming out from the Geek Squad's room admin is complaining guyz LOOL

Easy nomads.. cool off , Life is beautiful and December is wonderful
:D

Zu, Iam suggesting six books here not only three
smile.gif

1-
AlChemist (Author: Paulo Coelho)or Veronica Decides to Die.

2-
Wuthering Heights
(Author: Emily Bronte- English Literature)

3-
Reading Lolita in Teheran
(Author: Azar Nafisi- American Iranian, interesting book)

4-
Beloved
(Author: Toni Morrison- American)

5-
A drift in Soho
( Author:Colin Wilson,British, I liked this novel alot)

6-
The House of the Spirits
(Author: Isabel Allende,Chilean) very very very very nice LOOL

guess enuuf suggesting, haye??!!
:D

Salam

Moving along the thread : ;)

I have read the alchemist only on this list .

Review of the Alchemist

Dreams, symbols, signs, and adventure follow the reader like echoes of ancient wise voices in the novel. A novel that combines an atmosphere of Medieval mysticism with the song of the desert. With this symbolic masterpiece Coelho states that we should not avoid our destinies, and urges people to follow their dreams, because to find our "Personal Myth" and our mission on Earth is the way to find "God", meaning happiness, fulfillment, and the ultimate purpose of creation.

The novel tells the tale of Santiago, a boy who has a dream and the courage to follow it. After listening to "the signs" the boy ventures in his personal, Ulysses-like journey of exploration and self-discovery, symbolically searching for a hidden treasure located near the pyramids in Egypt. When he decides to go, his father's only advice is "Travel the world until you see that our castle is the greatest, and our women the most beautiful". In his journey, Santiago sees the greatness of the world, and meets all kinds of exciting people like kings and alchemists. However, by the end of the novel, he discovers that "treasure lies where your heart belongs", and that the treasure was the journey itself, the discoveries he made, and the wisdom he acquired.

The Alchemist", is an exciting novel that bursts with optimism; it is the kind of novel that tells you that everything is possible as long as you really want it to happen. That may sound like an oversimplified version of new-age philosophy and mysticism, but as Coelho states "simple things are the most valuable and only wise people appreciate them".

I would definately recommend it.

My vote goes to Isabel Allende

House of Spirits

P.S Please brothers and Sisters please vote on a book and lets move along.

1574888498.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

reading this book has cost me about $30.00 worth of Barnes and Nobel coffee and its for sale for only $25!!!!! ...

it sure was one of the best books i ever read..

anybody read?

Blessed   

I've a feeling choosing / agreeing on a book will turn into a task. To counter this, I'll be sweet and start a poll based on Classiques selection. It will be on a different thread so watch out....!!

The poll thread is called 'Choose a Book' and is in the womens section.

In case it goes over your head. :D

Salma   

I choose Alchemist. And its better to read the whole book then discuss it,so that the reader can cover all the Cons and Pros in this novel and tell us about it. Ofcourse,everyone has his own opinion which could be different than the other readers. And this is the pleasure in discussing the books, to hear the nomads'/others' different opinions and views and learn from them.

I guess the best thing to do is to vote in Ameena's Poll just to save our time.

Salam

I'm glad things are moving to the right direction...Alahamdullilaah....Seee Shehrezade...see what i mean...all needed was to move along...and things will work just fine :) ...we needed encouragement and someone to give us lil boost..and we would take the bull by the horns...

I would like to see your input :)

now I will go and vote....

And Insha Allah By next week we will have lively discussion around our views of whateva book that we may choose :)

Salaamaat

LOZ, I wasn't in anyone's way. While I was still having my one to one with Mutakalim, Classique did what she thought she should do, which is far more than most did. There are more followers than creators in here. So cut the 'See Sheherazade'; I didn't see you do anything but follow. If that's something to be proud of then glow, man, glow. smile.gif

Originally posted by sheherazade:

LOZ, I wasn't in anyone's way. While I was still having my one to one with Mutakalim, Classique did what she thought she should do, which is far more than most did. There are more followers than creators in here. So cut the 'See Sheherazade'; I didn't see you do anything but follow. If that's something to be proud of then glow, man, glow.
smile.gif

Who said Following is always a bad thing...besides..The Idea was not mine (I mean the Book group)... I am not a reader as Classique or Mutakalim... I was happy to go with the flow and be a free rider smile.gif ..until things installed..being the selfish i am..I have to intervene :) so that I can be a free rider again...

Com'on Admit it..I brought life back to this thread which was on the verge of dyin icon_razz.gif thanks to who?? icon_razz.gif

Cheers

Congratulations saaxib, you saved us from ourselves by doing nothing. smile.gif

Let's not start something else, OK? I'm in one hell of a grouchy mood and could do serious verbal damage today if I allow myself. :D

As for the book group, I don't think I'll be able to contribute initially. I'm going to be doing a lot of writing(poetry, stories, whatever) for the next few months, inshallah. If I read a book, it will be for the enjoyment alone, I won't have any spare brain cells for analysing any words other than my own. Wish me well. It'll need discipline.

Keep this going(by doing nothing) and I'll join when I can, inshallah. Happy reading. ;)

OG_Girl   

Oooh finally we took one step ahead.

Doesn't matter to me what book you decide to read first , hopefully I will get Arabic traslation of the book cause I don't enjoy reading as I enjoy in Arabic.

Hope after finals though smile.gif

Salam

Just a quick recommendation if I may please. This is abook you might want to add to your readers list as I thought it was agood read.

Hari Kunzru's novel The Impressionist

"a mixed-race man's picaresque journey from end-of-the-Raj era India to the rightwing Oxford of the 1930s, then to Africa, and his struggle to define himself in the face of bewilderingly varied prejudices and arbitrary rules."