Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Ayaan Hirsi returned to the Netherlands

files.php?file=Ayan_827016296.jpg

Netherland - (AP) - Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a Somali by birth who became a member of the Dutch Parliament and was threatened with death for her anti-Islam writings, returned to the Netherlands after the Dutch government refused to continue paying for her bodyguards in the United States, the newspaper NRC Handelsblad reported.

She had been under security protection since 2004. She moved to Washington last year to become a fellow at the conservative American Enterprise Institute. The newspaper said that on her return she was taken to a safe house at an undisclosed location. A Justice Ministry spokesman said he could not comment on the arrangements.

According to a report in the NRC Handelsblad, the controversial Dutch writer and Islam critic Ayaan Hirsi Ali has returned to the Netherlands and is planning to resettle here. Ms Hirsi Ali, a Somali refugee who became an MP for the Dutch conservative VVD party, left the Netherlands for the US last year after a row over her Dutch citizenship. Her vocal criticism of Islam also contributed to her decision to leave. Her criticism also led her to be targeted by radical Muslims and her life was repeatedly threatened. The threats led her to be placed under round-the-clock protection both in the Netherlands and the United States.

The US government has been billing The Hague for the cost of her protection but Justice Minister Ernst Hirch Ballin is no longer willing to pay for her security arrangements. For the time being, Ms Hirsi Ali is in a safe house at a secret location.

Theo van Gogh

The Dutch government agreed to finance her security in the US in order to prevent a repeat of the murder of filmmaker and columnist Theo van Gogh, who was a friend of Ms Hirsi Ali. Mr van Gogh, a fierce Islam critic, was murdered in Amsterdam by a Muslim extremist. Before his death, he had received numerous threats from radical anti-Western Muslims in the Netherlands.

Ms Hirsi Ali says she has returned to the Netherlands because The Hague has refused to continue paying for her protection and Washington has refused to pay as US law does not permit it. She can continue working for the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative US think tank, here in the Netherlands.

Emergency debate

The Dutch Green Left party has called for an emergency parliamentary debate with the interior and justice ministers to discuss Ms Hirsi Ali's protection and Investigate her if she is a spy. The party wants to know if the Dutch government has explored every possibility of guaranteeing the former MP's safety while abroad. The Green Left pointed out the similarities between this case and that of British writer Salman Rushdie. An Iranian ayatollah declared a fatwa against him after the publication of his book The Satanic Verses. The British government provided round-the-clock protection for him even when he was abroad.

Complicated case

Ayaan Hirsi Ali is controversial not only for her criticism of Islam and questions around her security but also because the row over her Dutch citizenship led to a crisis that toppled the Dutch government in 2006. Her passport was revoked but later restored after she apologised for misleading the authorities when she applied for asylum and Dutch citizenship. The heavy security around Ms Hirsi Ali's home in The Hague led her neighbours to initiate legal proceedings as they feared being injured if she were attacked and they were fed up of all the activity that her protection entailed. A similar lawsuit could well occur again.

AP

chubacka   

Why would anyone waste their time trying to attack her really? :rolleyes: even her dutch buddies will bore of her sooner or later.

NGONGE   

^^ You're missing the point there. Sheekhajacaylka is getting soft in his old age. He's trying to arrange a collection from the SOL crowd so that poor Ayan can have her bodyguards back. :D

N.O.R.F   

I wonder if she is an SOL reader? come out come out wherever you are,,,,,,,,she would get a bit of a welcome from a few people I know,,,,,,

Ms DD   

You guys..spit it out!

who are 'few people' Northern?

Who are these names you speak of sheikha?

nuune   

she is SOL user, it is being confirmed, she just dosn't want to create a topic or reply to one since the hooligans will go after her!

Tuujiye   

Nuune I thought I was the only one that knew She was a SOL user looool. My friend Qac'Qac new her wall in here and other like Nur lol.. but they would never know who she was because they are lots of people in here that are like her but hide!!!! aloo yaa baneenka keena aan istakiin ku qanjurufanee!!!

Wareer Badanaa!!!

^^, KK=Ms Hirsi, in other words Abuu Nuune was right on the money...

PS:KK, please forgive me, didn't mean to put your bidness out there in the open, but my big mouth got the better of me today.

Khalaf   

^^^ummmmm if i remember correctly wasn't it u miss Layzie that called sunnah of nabi scw the beard...."terrorism"...correct urself......

May Allah guide all the miss guided and keep all of us on the straight path amiin.