Sign in to follow this  
Al-Muminah

Seven year limit on marriages

Seven-year hitch

September 20, 2007 12:00am

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5006007,00.html

A GERMAN politician has proposed a law making marriage contracts null and void after seven years, with the option to renew for those not feeling the proverbial itch.

"I propose that marriages lapse after seven years,'' Gabriele Pauli told reporters in Munich, the capital of the largely Catholic southern state of Bavaria.

"This would mean that one will only commit for a fixed period and will actively have to renew your vows if you still want to continue.''

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Ms Pauli, 50, has been divorced twice.

"It means that, in future, people would in future enter marriages only on a time-limited basis, and would then actively say 'yes' to an extension," she added.

She argued that, since a high proportion of marriages end in divorce and many people stay married only for fear of separation or for financial reasons, "perhaps one can live better outside marriage."

Pauli conceded that "the fine points must still be cleared up" and said that "obviously, a lot stands against this."

The 'seven-year-hitch' plan drew sharp criticism from party colleagues in Pope Benedict XVI's home region.

The proposal is part of her manifesto as she prepares to contest the leadership of Bavaria's governing party, the ultra-conservative Christian Social Union (CSU), next week.

Shortly after announciong her candidacy, Ms Pauli caused a stir by posing for magazine pictures as a dominatrix wearing long latex gloves.

Kool_Kat   

Seven years is a very long time to wait...Give it two or three years...You know the honeymoon face fades after about a year or two tops...lol

Seven years lagu yeh, sheeko...

Ibtisam   

Zenobia you sad sad lady :D I cannot believe you are online already :D lool HAHa. Glade you made it back safely. smile.gif

I need to move to Germany.

Pujah   

On average marriages last between 4-7 years…so it sounds like a good time to either renew it or call it off without guilt

Paragon   

^^True even 4-7 years would be being optimistic.

Lily, I know. But remember the man is a presidential candidate and possibly elections are nearing. So he wants to release many 'traditional' troubled couples from the shackles of marriage. I hear it can be very daunting- close to imprisonment. So after all it is not so unbelievable, is it?

PS: I think a 4 sentence would be the appropriate length of time. 7 is still painfully too long...